Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what, Your saying my tornado does not give me 30 rwhp? j/k
Old 07-22-2005, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonB
I don't think it was 15hp i believe it was 8hp and 7ft-lbs. The 15 i believe was with another mod(I think it was an intake) plus the wires. These wires supposidly have a solid core and only have like .02 ohms resistance where the stockers had 8.0omhs resistance. I can't find my chp mag but I believe that is the correct info or at least closer.

I just checked it again, those bastards had the nerve to say 15HP from WIRES ALONE, no other mods.

Wow Granatelli can really get you up to up around 400HP without barely getting your hands dirty!

Their claims:

- Mass Air Flow Sensor 22HP
- Spark Plug Wires 15HP
- Cold Air Lid 17HP
- Diablo Predator 20HP
74 HP!!!

Why are we all wasting our time with headers, heads/cams, etc?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mako22
I just checked it again, those bastards had the nerve to say 15HP from WIRES ALONE, no other mods.

Wow Granatelli can really get you up to up around 400HP without barely getting your hands dirty!

Their claims:

- Spark Plug Wires 15HP
- Cold Air Lid 17HP
- Diablo Predator 20HP
74 HP!!!

I just read this CHP article last night and it was 15 hp and 17 ft lbs from the wires. This was also on a 5.3 L truck engine at the wheels. So lets say what 30% loss at the wheels? So the wires were worth 20 hp at the crank? Seems very far fetched unless something was really wrong with the other wires. They do attribute this to the fact that the AC Delco wires have 950 ohm resistance over the 8 inches. The Granatelli's are claimed to have 0 ohm resistance. Any reduction in resistance in the wires will help get better hotter faster spark. Which helps everything overall, but I could only see how maybe 1-2 hp tops as the only mod. With all those other mods, sure, it could maybe give you 5 hp in a perfect world. But I'd have to see it on a dyno with my own eyes. I've been thinking about doing a tune up, maybe I'll spring for these wires and run to the dyno shop and baseline it myself and then change em and see. I don't doubt Granatelli makes a good product, but looking at those 4 mods, yeah, that's over $1000 in Granatelli's pocket per buyer.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oange ss
MSD plug wires are worth 300+ horses on my car.....my engine with 0 plug wires = 0 horsepower....my engine with MSD plug wires = 382 horsepower.................see they do work...............
LOL thats funny. But for real my buddy bought a 00TA with a Granatelli MAF sensor on it. He told me it didnt really do much when he dynod his car. So it took it off and gaind like 3 or 4 hp on the dyno. It was messed up man.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

HEY! Didn't you guys hear! Not only can you add 15hp with those wires but you can add 25 with NITRO POWER!! Pick it up at your local O'Reilly....

Old 07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
I just read this CHP article last night and it was 15 hp and 17 ft lbs from the wires. This was also on a 5.3 L truck engine at the wheels. So lets say what 30% loss at the wheels? So the wires were worth 20 hp at the crank? Seems very far fetched unless something was really wrong with the other wires. They do attribute this to the fact that the AC Delco wires have 950 ohm resistance over the 8 inches. The Granatelli's are claimed to have 0 ohm resistance. Any reduction in resistance in the wires will help get better hotter faster spark. Which helps everything overall, but I could only see how maybe 1-2 hp tops as the only mod. With all those other mods, sure, it could maybe give you 5 hp in a perfect world. But I'd have to see it on a dyno with my own eyes. I've been thinking about doing a tune up, maybe I'll spring for these wires and run to the dyno shop and baseline it myself and then change em and see. I don't doubt Granatelli makes a good product, but looking at those 4 mods, yeah, that's over $1000 in Granatelli's pocket per buyer.
0 resistance is not always a good thing,ever heard of EMI and the havoc it can wreak on electronics.I personally like the Taylor 409's for less than $50 and the Taylor ThunderVolts at about $70 or the MSD's all of which are excellent quality and they look cool too. save the extra $100 and buy a lid cause those wires are like $160 from Summitt
Old 07-30-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Some people just ARE that stupid to buy them and believe that. Others are smart enough to not believe it in the first place or ask others to make sure.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Durien
yea and if i **** into my gas tank i gain another 20RWHP..
Try it on Saturday or Sunday morning. Probably a little more octane boost in it.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by guinness2
0 resistance is not always a good thing,ever heard of EMI and the havoc it can wreak on electronics.I personally like the Taylor 409's for less than $50 and the Taylor ThunderVolts at about $70 or the MSD's all of which are excellent quality and they look cool too. save the extra $100 and buy a lid cause those wires are like $160 from Summitt
Actually $190 from summit, IDK where they got $160 in that article. What's "EMI"?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Their claims:

- Spark Plug Wires 15HP
- Cold Air Lid 17HP
- Diablo Predator 20HP
74 HP!!!

SLP did the same thing in GMHTP... mufflers, headers, cats, tuner, lid/ram air, maf and (the best part of the package) 400hp badges!!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Actually $190 from summit, IDK where they got $160 in that article. What's "EMI"?
Electro-Magnetic Interference, causes nasty ticking in your radio, lines running thru your tv, data errors in sensors and other crap like that.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The premise of the article: "Adding 55 Horses with Granatelli Motor Sports Performance Parts"

Part 1: Plug wires. The paragraph --
"Wired for Power
Baseline + Test 1
15.3 hp improvement at 5,250 rpm
17.3 lb-ft of torque improvement at 4,250
These Granatelli plug wires gain an advantage over stock because they are manufactured with a solid stainless inner connector cable wrapped with special fiberglass that emits no noticeable radio interference.
Because the Gen III ignition incorporates a coil-near-plug system, each wire measures about 8 inches from the coil to the spark plug. We wanted to learn why simply replacing the plug wires would yield this kind of power improvement and took an ohm reading on both sets of wires. All the AC Delco wires measured more than 950 ohms of resistance; the Granatelli wires measured less than 1 ohm (.50 actual reading) of resistance. Remember, too, that the Gen III wires are only 8 inches long. If they were as long as a typical SBC the original AC Delco wires would have resistance considerably higher than 950 ohms due to the longer current path."

Part 2: MAF Sensor and Wires
Plus 26.80 hp at 5,250
Plus 38.90 lb-ft at 4,250

Part 3: Cold Air Kit
Plus 55.05 hp at 5,250
Plus 45.10 lb-ft at 4,850

Parts Cost @ Summit Racing.Com
Wires - $160.99
MAF - $329.95
Cold Air Kit - $209.95

Is it Snake Oil orthe truth? Or, does it show how GM has given us a good start but not the whole enchilada with a mass-production product??

We report, you decide.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Electro-Magnetic Interference, causes nasty ticking in your radio, lines running thru your tv, data errors in sensors and other crap like that.
Ahh, yeah, don't need that. I'd really like to hear from somebody that's ran them just out of curiousity though.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Durien
yea and if i **** into my gas tank i gain another 20RWHP..
Hmm imagine what that exhaust woud smell like? Ewwwww
Old 08-01-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Checked out the Taylor's, they definetely look up to the task. They are stainless spiro wound with a fiberglass insulator just like the Granatelli's and wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. The MSD's look good to go too. Good call, good advice.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know when I farted into my intake, I gained at least 20rwhp.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can honestly say the ONLY reason I bought my MSD super conductors was for apperance, since I went black with a little red for my under-hood setup. I didn't expect to gain any power at all through them, and I doubt that I did
Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, first of all Granatelli in their add claims 12hp which really doesn't mean much to me, but according to Chevy Hi-performance Sept 2005 they got over 15 rwhp peak and over 17 rwtq peak over stock wires on a Mustang chassis dyno is this for real??
Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
No, it's not.
Yes it is

Originally Posted by jrp
and we all know magazines always report the most 100% accurate info from paying advertisors...
Granatelli was not a paying advertiser of Chevy Hi Mag – they called and said they had many readers write in and ask for the test to be done. They were equally as skeptical as many of you

After the test they were believers

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
That is what I'm thinking. Only Granatelli and CHP. The original plug wires on that truck must have been burnt to a crisp if it got 15hp.
For the record – to confirm the test, the wires were tested at Westech not Granatelli. Then again in Florida. Granatelli and Westech are in CA. So they were tested 2 times, 2 different places, 2 different trucks and 2 different sets and the results were basically the same.

I noticed that back in that Lid comparison test they did they were very slanted towards Granatelli, CHP is definitely "in bed" with....

What is a realistic gain (if any) from upgrading your wires/plugs on a bolt on car? Is it worth it? What about ignition ie. MSD - is that for higher HP cars?
So CHP says 2 things positive about GMS and the fix is in  Craziness. MSD makes nice stuff but their wires are just mag core with over 200 ohm of resistance per foot. The GMS wires have 2 patents and a 0 ohm drop – it is like running a jumper cable from the coil to the plug – that is why everyone is going to coil on plug – it is way more efficient.

Here is a video test on a brand new ZO6 before and after –

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1345

Originally Posted by JonB
I don't think it was 15hp I believe it was 8hp and 7ft-lbs. The 15 I believe was with another mod(I think it was an intake) plus the wires. These wires supposedly have a solid core and only have like .02 ohms resistance where the stockers had 8.0omhs resistance. I can't find my chp mag but I believe that is the correct info or at least closer.
You were close – but please see the video – stock wires are more like 1000 ohm drop

Their claims:

- Spark Plug Wires 15HP
- Cold Air Lid 17HP
- Diablo Predator 20HP
74 HP!!!

I agree. Why waste your time with headers? Also you guys are comparing a truck to a car

They do attribute this to the fact that the AC Delco wires have 950 ohm resistance over the 8 inches. The Granatelli's are claimed to have 0 ohm resistance. Any reduction in resistance in the wires will help get better hotter faster spark. Which helps everything overall,

I've been thinking about doing a tune up, maybe I'll spring for these wires and run to the dyno shop and baseline it myself and then change em and see.

I don't doubt Granatelli makes a good product, but looking at those 4 mods, yeah, that's over $1000 in Granatelli's pocket per buyer.
$1000 in Granatellis pocket! – How so?

0 resistance is not always a good thing, ever heard of EMI and the havoc it can wreak on electronics.
The whole premise of the Granatelli wires is NO EMI or RFI

Checked out the Taylor's, they definitely look up to the task. They are stainless spiro wound with a fiberglass insulator just like the Granatelli's and wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. The MSD's look good to go too. Good call, good advice.
You CAN NOT run the Taylor stainless wound wires on your car – they will misfire in short order. MSD is nice but neither can match the GMS – wires should not cost $190.00

If anyone wants to prove me wrong – call GMS direct and we will sell them to you for $105 a set

http://www.gmsvideos.com/video/1345
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Six years to reply? Hope customer service is better. But nice to see you standing up for your products
Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tillery
Six years to reply? Hope customer service is better. But nice to see you standing up for your products
LMFAO!! Yeah really? 6 years to reply?

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??