Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy 5 year-old thread. I needed a laugh today, thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking over Granatelli's site, and they advertise there coil packs will give you 12-18 HP...... anyone else skeptical on that? I'd like to see a back to back dyno pull with there coils swaped between each pull... if they really do add 12-18 ill be amazed.
So Granatelli coil packs+Granatelli plug wires=27-33HP.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

magnecor.com has some interesting info on this topic.
Go to "The truth about ignition wire conductors"
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tillery
Six years to reply? Hope customer service is better. But nice to see you standing up for your products

I just got an auto respond now and jumped on it. Weird I know. I don’t like to fight about stuff - As the owner of GMS I always come out the looser. I am either told I am picking on someone or I come off like the bad guy. The fact is the parts work. I agree that truck picking up 55hp total was a crazy thing - and here is the kicker, Summit Racing sold like 100+ kits off that article and GMS received over 30 letters from customers saying how happy they were with what they got - There was not one unhappy testimonial of customer generated - Everyone felt like they got their moneys worth

LS1TECH has alwasy been made up of TECH-ee guys. This thread got to be like so many others on any non-particular thing. Just a bunch guys bantering back and forth with no real data or info
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Im not skeptical a wire could add HP, but 12-18? Any dyno sheets on this? I mean if you can convince me i'll buy a set right now.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I think I’m gonna call you guys on this one. It does look like GMS wires do make an improvement, whether it be their tested 17HP or less. In the thread, there was a call out to anybody who’s used these wires which went unanswered.

GMS, it is odd that you’ve responded to this so long afterwards but I’ll cut you some slack, maybe you just saw the thread. Also folks, consider that with (currently) just 21 posts since registering in 2002, GMS really isn’t on here.

I do believe GMS to be a reputable shop, if they weren’t, people would’ve been onto them long ago and they would be out of business.

I am considering these wires as a future purchase. Even if they don’t add 17 HP, I feel confidant they’ll do something positive.

And for those saying to go with Taylors? Good luck with that. I had them and they are JUNK-as many here have discovered. Plenty posted about that.
Thanks for kinda sticking up for us - But when you (anyone) says thier claims please understand these were not our claims - that was testing on thier dyno at Westech and in FL - not Granatelli's dyno

As for testing the wires - my offer is still there $105 a set - they have a lifetime warranty too
Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
150 for wires? :/
NO - $105
Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

also, I'm assuming your 2010-2011 camaro LS3 plug wires are slightly longer than the LS1 plus wire since the coil packs sit slightly higher on the valve cover? My msd wires seem like they need more slack with coils sitting higher on the valve cover.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Granatelli
NO - $105
the site says $145 is there a coupon code?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2010ss1
LMAO! total BS!

I've got some land for sale for you if you really think 100+ wires add power.

If your wires or plugs are degraded in the first place then yes fixing the problem with give your engine new life. From what I've seen the MSD's + NGK's from Nasty Performance are the best deal. Picking up a set for my 4.8 conversion.
Again - that is the great thing about our wires - they never degrade - Lifetime promise too

a ton of NASCAR teams run our wires and all claim they are are good after the 500 as they were before. Data from DEI:

MSD wires before the 500 304 ohm loss in a 26" ignition wire. after the the race - 1204 ohms resistance.

Granatelli wires - 0 ohm drop before - after .02ohm if that - their words not mine - they are just that good
Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Aftermarket Auto Industry has two parts to it:

a TON of dirtbag liars who make fabricated claims (K&N, Tornado, Octane boost, etc...)
and
the morons out there that believe them

Anyone that thinks a plug wire change is going to give them 15 hp....or for that matter a 1 hp increase.........is one of those morons.

Good thing there's a TINY handful of good, honorable, aftermarket companies making stuff for us.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put a set of Taylor 10.4 Thunderbolt wires on my 427ci years and years ago....it did absolutely nothing. Plus those pieces of crap broke so easily when taking them off, 8 of them broke.

As for performance....ZERO. I went to Advance Aut oand bought $36.00 replacements. 7 years later they're still on there and doing great.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I was looking over Granatelli's site, and they advertise there coil packs will give you 12-18 HP...... anyone else skeptical on that? I'd like to see a back to back dyno pull with there coils swaped between each pull... if they really do add 12-18 ill be amazed.
So Granatelli coil packs+Granatelli plug wires=27-33HP.
You are referring to piggy backing - we all know 5hp from 1 part plus 5hp from another does not always equal 10hp in gain

Gains of up to 12hp have been seen with these coils over stock. Average gain with no other changes is 6 to 8hp on an otherwise stock vehicle. Gains of up to 18hp have been experienced on heavily modified forced induction applications
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Well i might be one of those morons but we will see. I just ordered a set . My LS1 MSD's just seem to be a tad to short for the LS3 coil location (slighty higher on the valve cover than a LS1 coil). So i wanted a new set of wires any how, I just didn't like how tight the MSD's where.
I have a dyno tune scheduled for april 29th at speed inc. So I'm gonna do my own back to back dyno comparison with the wire swap in between and see how much i really pick up from these wires. As long as speed inc will allow it.
And hey if i don't pick up any HP atleast i got a set of lifetime warrenty plug wires for $105
Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Well i might be one of those morons but we will see. I just ordered a set . My LS1 MSD's just seem to be a tad to short for the LS3 coil location (slighty higher on the valve cover than a LS1 coil). So i wanted a new set of wires any how, I just didn't like how tight the MSD's where.
I have a dyno tune scheduled for april 29th at speed inc. So I'm gonna do my own back to back dyno comparison with the wire swap in between and see how much i really pick up from these wires. As long as speed inc will allow it.
And hey if i don't pick up any HP atleast i got a set of lifetime warrenty plug wires for $105
Please keep us all posted
Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

wish i could have gotten them for 105$ .....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Please keep us all posted
Will do!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now theres a man that isnt scared to try something "outside the box". Waiting on dyno tests, and if its good I will buy a set too, as my 170k high mile stockers need a rest. If the hype is true then I can live with being the next "moron" with an extra bit of hp under the hood.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

yeah if i forget to post after april 29th someone please PM to post my results. I probably won't forget, but it happens from time to time.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??