Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
^ This. Id put money down that there is no hp increase Subscribed.
How Much? This is a loose / loose for Granatelli. Even if the first guy makes power - a few will just keep looking and waiting until someone says otherwise.

It is human nature on these sites to look for the bad - never the good. Sad part of the web world
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's win/win for Granatelli, if it works, you win big,
if there is no gain, you get a lot of publicity.
And no, this thing hasn't gone on for 6 pages because people are
hoping those wires don't work, just the opposite.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

The great thing about tests...accurate tests i mean...They are repeatable. So we'll see what these people who ordered their wires can do before and after on the dyno. Assuming their OEM wires aren't fucked up, the results should make things pretty clear. If they don't do what they are claimed to do...well...then...I'll be sticking with my 97k mile OEM ones that I'm making 454rwhp on lol.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Well Gold or Silver makes for the best Conductivity and the least resistance

So make your own wires,

Boots and Conductors are an easy find,
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Well i might be one of those morons but we will see. I just ordered a set . My LS1 MSD's just seem to be a tad to short for the LS3 coil location (slighty higher on the valve cover than a LS1 coil). So i wanted a new set of wires any how, I just didn't like how tight the MSD's where.
I have a dyno tune scheduled for april 29th at speed inc. So I'm gonna do my own back to back dyno comparison with the wire swap in between and see how much i really pick up from these wires. As long as speed inc will allow it.
And hey if i don't pick up any HP atleast i got a set of lifetime warrenty plug wires for $105
You must do the back-to-back runs when the engine is at the exact same temp........and still there is always different numbers between runs. I say do 4 runs AT LEAST. Two runs means nothing and proves nothing. I did 5 runs when my 427ci went in and they were done at slightly different temps because I wasn't testing anything and didn't care. Same dyno, same guy, same dyno session. My RWHP numbers varied by like 12 RWHP. This is how companies like K&N and others can safely lie about gains.....they just do a bunch of dyno runs AFTER they put their super-duper part on the engine....and wait till one spikes to their liking.......

So at least do them when the temp of the engine is identical.

Granitelli makes nice stuff, I have their 200mph Speedo, awesome piece. Works great and its 8 years old and perfect still.

But jeez.....people hope to make 15 HP with a new ported intake and a fresh dyno tune. A wire change......com'on. I think GM makes a pretty damn good set of wires with the billions of dollars they put into R&D. As I said, my Taylor 10.4mm Thunderbolts did absolutely nothing for performance on my 427ci, zero.

I was told by a very reputable engine builder that you only need new wires that are ACTUALLY better than stock when you install more powerful coils and a more powerful ignition system......to create a more powerful spark when wider gaps are used in HIGH horsepower cars with high compression and/or larger bores.......to get a better, larger spark.
Sounds logical.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Granatelli
How Much? This is a loose / loose for Granatelli. Even if the first guy makes power - a few will just keep looking and waiting until someone says otherwise.

It is human nature on these sites to look for the bad - never the good. Sad part of the web world
It looks like you're scared someone will independently dyno test them and show that your claims are flat out lies.
We're not looking for the bad, we're looking for the truth. And most of us already know spark plug wires don't increase horsepower.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I was told by a very reputable engine builder that you only need new wires that are ACTUALLY better than stock when you install more powerful coils and a more powerful ignition system......to create a more powerful spark when wider gaps are used in HIGH horsepower cars with high compression and/or larger bores.......to get a better, larger spark.
Would it make sense that a better/hotter spark would improve the performance of any engine, regardless of other modifications?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone keeps throwing out 15hp. Was that on a truck with much longer plug wires or on an f-body with much shorter plug wires? The longer the wire, the more resistance, and the more a better wire is going to help. That's one thing the short wire f-body test has going against Granatelli. But if the resistance of the Granatelli is lower than stock there is going to be SOME improvement, that's not opinion it's just fact. It might be small and not register on a dyno, but it will be there. Maybe in the form of .01hp and .05mpg increase. But I'm an optimist in what seems to be a world of pessimists these days so I'm rooting for Granatelli.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Everyone keeps throwing out 15hp. Was that on a truck with much longer plug wires or on an f-body with much shorter plug wires? The longer the wire, the more resistance, and the more a better wire is going to help. That's one thing the short wire f-body test has going against Granatelli. But if the resistance of the Granatelli is lower than stock there is going to be SOME improvement, that's not opinion it's just fact. It might be small and not register on a dyno, but it will be there. Maybe in the form of .01hp and .05mpg increase. But I'm an optimist in what seems to be a world of pessimists these days so I'm rooting for Granatelli.
Those claims were tested on a 5.3L truck motor......
Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

optimizing the electrical system of your car is always a good thing to do. The question here is, are the spark plug wires a limiting factor in most of our cars performance.

fact: You're only running about 40ma per spark through your wires. 120 if you have the truck or ls2 coils.

fact: Gran wires are .1ohm. Regular wires we will say are 500ohms. They likely are much lower.

Fact: The voltage drop across these wires will be 4mV for Gran. 50v for "stock".

Fact: The coils are putting out roughly 40,000 volts.

So the question is: Is .125% voltage drop going to make a difference ? is 39,950 volts going to be a significantly less powerful spark than 40,0000 volts?

I doubt it. I dont doubt the wires are "better" but you are probably losing way more energy getting that power to the coils than you are "gaining" by not losing that 50v of spark. Gonna have to be a pretty big gap spark plug for that 50v to make a difference.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is this thread not already locked?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Launching!

^ I Agree! Were dealing with at the most 4" of actual conductor. Not much is going to happen!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
come again? Truck wires are the same length as f-body wires. The only wires that are longer are GEN IV wires. LS2/LS3/LS7 have longer wires than a LS1. It doesnt matter if its a truck or car all the matters is if its a GEN III or GEN IV length plug wire. The GEN IV being slightly longer.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't even believe 15rwhp on a SBC with foot upon foot of wire connecting the plugs to a single 50,000volt coil.

You're telling me plug wires 3-4" long connecting each plug to it's own high output coil is going to get that at stock compression levels? And you don't see why people here have their doubts?

Sounds like the people who get suckered into Monster brand HDMI cables.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lock it already!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Why should this be locked? That would be silly.

I just had a very nice conversation with Alex at Granatelli. As I'm using the truck coils, he recommended to go with the slightly longer LS2 wires. $105.00 by call in.

VERY nice people, didn't rush me and I was happy with the time spent on the phone with him.

It'll take about a week or two for me to get them installed. Sadly, I will not do any "before/after" dyno pulls but will certainly report back my SOTP experiance.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought their wires, and they are great. They are great quality, and now
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

All good things end with a
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i think the wires are plenty long with my truck coils........if anything......they could be a little shorter.......i was worried at first about my headers burning up the plug boots........but no problems so far

just wished they came in red
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
but will certainly report back my SOTP experiance.
No offense and I'm not saying they aren't likely great wires, but the butt dyno is a worse tool than a real dyno (which show enough variance as is) so that info is basically useless.

What about taking both sets to a track? At least then trap speed might say something if it was consistent.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??