Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011 | 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I have a set of these Granatelli wires only because someone was just about giving them away on Ebay, $55 for a new set. I can say this, they are very, very well built and the fit was perfect. They are true stainless steel core wires. I have over 10K on them and they have not burned from header heat like my MSD's did in less than 1K miles. The claim of 0 ohms is complete BS, they all measured .003-.006 ohms which isnt bad though,. They were better then the MSD's which were .009-.012 ohms.
What makes a good wire is, the least amount of ohms and how well it stand up to heat. I noticed no HP gains what so ever using these wires but I do expect them to hold up for a very long time. I would choose stock GM wires over MSD's any day.
Old 03-08-2011 | 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6
The claim of 0 ohms is complete BS, they all measured .003-.006 ohms which isnt bad though,
They never claimed to be an absolute 0 ohm wire. it says NEAR 0 ohm wire. .003-.006 ohms is pretty NEAR 0
Old 03-08-2011 | 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
wish i could have gotten them for 105$ .....
Why can't you

Originally Posted by hawiianpwr
Are they made in the USA?
YES -

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
My Monster comment is based on HDMI. The cables are excellent quality and lifetime replacements so you don't have the HASSLE if they are damaged...but the signal they provide is no better than a $15 Walmart brand HDMI cable. So if you install them and don't damage them, there is no benefit other than looking nice.

I tried some high output truck coils on my car, if your info is correct then those coils produce 15,000volts more for each cylinder than the stock ones. Correct? 60,000v versus 45,000v. I saw zero gains at the track or by anything I could monitor in EFI live that would indicate increased performance.

"The voltage drop across these wires will be 4mV for Gran. 50v for "stock"."

So, no measurable real world gains from 15,000volts each...but claiming 10-15rwhp for 50v each.

That is the problem I'm having here.
In short - I agree a stone stock motor will not benefit from coils as much as a forced induction or higher revving motor - but our coils do not heat soak either like the factory coils and they are made in America as well. - In case anyone wants to ask

Originally Posted by joecar
G, can you please point me to the patent, I would like to read it.
Granatelli O ohm wires are patent protected by United States Patent number 7,185,622. This patent covers our unique method of producing ignition wires of extremely low resistance while maintaining very high noise suppression. The benefit of this invention is that full electrical energy from the ignition source is transmitted to the spark plug. The end result of the application of this method is increased horsepower, torque and fuel economy.

Originally Posted by 02Z28ZO6
I have a set of these Granatelli wires only because someone was just about giving them away on Ebay, $55 for a new set. I can say this, they are very, very well built and the fit was perfect. They are true stainless steel core wires. I have over 10K on them and they have not burned from header heat like my MSD's did in less than 1K miles. The claim of 0 ohms is complete BS, they all measured .003-.006 ohms which isnt bad though,. They were better then the MSD's which were .009-.012 ohms.
What makes a good wire is, the least amount of ohms and how well it stand up to heat. I noticed no HP gains what so ever using these wires but I do expect them to hold up for a very long time. I would choose stock GM wires over MSD's any day.
You need to remeasure AN MSD wire on the LS3 on it's best day is 350 ohms, I just measure a 2011 Stock LS3 with 132 miles on it and it is a 878 ohm drop and ours as you measured .003 I call 0.

I assume you are joking when you say it measured at .003 - you are saying it has less than 3 thousandths of an ohm drop
Old 03-08-2011 | 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Granatelli
Why can't you
well.......if i needed 2 sets........but i dont.....been thinking about getting a second 4th gen.......always nice to have 2.......then i can spend more $$$$
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:47 AM
On The Tree

Granatelli said it himself, 4mv drop with his vs 50v stock...which is peanuts compared with the 45kv or 60kv coils depending on usage. The only way a set of wires can add power is if the wires they are replacing are junk, period. Carrying an extra 50v to the plug means nothing in the grand scheme. Running the two back to back on the exact same combo, i.e. no timing changes or plug gap changes, etc. will net almost identical results given the same conditions. It's snake oil, and kudos to those who see through it.
Old 03-09-2011 | 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just tested three plug wires on my trans am, msd wires with about 15k miles. They measured all at 25 ohms. These are hand made by a sponsor on here, I didn't feel the need to do all 8 when the first three were all so close. I'll go test some known value resistors to make sure my meter is not fubar.

I'm not knocking granetelli, those wires look NICE. I would and Probobly will replace my msd wires with these when they go. I was going to replace them anyway but decided to wait after such good results.

I just wish I tested my stock wires when I replaced them and tested these msd wires while they were new.

Just tested two different 150 ohm resistors, came to 147 which is within the
5% tolerance they have. I'm no expert but I was an electrical engineer major for a few semesters.

It's hard to deny the 1k ohm stockers fall short to these wires, and if most msd wires have 350 ohm resistance then it's impossible to deny these are better. I'm just reporting what my wires read.

I guess the next question is how much resistance do spark plugs have? I've heard that new plugs are resistor plugs, ie a resistor built in to them. I don't have one here to test, and I don't feel like pulling my plugs haha...
Old 03-09-2011 | 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Granatelli
You are not really supposed to do that - but the amswer is yes - and the have a lifetime warranty
I know we're not supposed to....but as you know our cars suck for being able to get our hands in there to grab JUST the boot and also have the strength in a couple fingers to get the boot off. And a boot puller tool is a joke, it doesn't work on our cars...at least not for the back 2-3 passenger side wires.

The Advance Auto wires are pretty damn strong, but a couple of those have broken when I have to pull off the back 2 wires by pulling on the wire. Then I have to go get a new set. There is no possible way anyone can pull the boots on my back 2 wires. I have to pull by the wire only.

I would definitely buy a set of $105.00 wires if I knew I could pull by the wire to pop the boot off the plug without breaking it. Specially nice looking wires like yours.

I'll probably get a set of these when my 441ci is done.

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
Granatelli said it himself, 4mv drop with his vs 50v stock...which is peanuts compared with the 45kv or 60kv coils depending on usage. The only way a set of wires can add power is if the wires they are replacing are junk, period. Carrying an extra 50v to the plug means nothing in the grand scheme. Running the two back to back on the exact same combo, i.e. no timing changes or plug gap changes, etc. will net almost identical results given the same conditions. It's snake oil, and kudos to those who see through it.
you twisted my words but whatever.

Originally Posted by t/a98
I just tested three plug wires on my trans am, msd wires with about 15k miles. They measured all at 25 ohms. These are hand made by a sponsor on here, I didn't feel the need to do all 8 when the first three were all so close. I'll go test some known value resistors to make sure my meter is not fubar.

I'm not knocking granetelli, those wires look NICE. I would and Probobly will replace my msd wires with these when they go. I was going to replace them anyway but decided to wait after such good results.

I just wish I tested my stock wires when I replaced them and tested these msd wires while they were new.
25 is good - I wonder how 12" of MSD wire has just 12 times the ohm drop (resistance)

In any case we are still 0 - if anyone really wants me to - I will video a quick wire test
Old 03-09-2011 | 06:23 PM
Teching In

50V gain over stock wires? I guess there is no need to test those
Granatelli wires. I'm done here. What a joke.
I'm off to Ebay now to buy a whole bunch of "Tornados".
Old 03-09-2011 | 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bolek
I'm off to Ebay now to buy a whole bunch of "Tornados".
Be sure to buy them in prime numbers and line them up at 20* increments to make a super-tornado vortex.

Note that they also have 0 Ohms of resistance.
Old 03-09-2011 | 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=thunderstruck507;14608172]My Monster comment is based on HDMI. The cables are excellent quality and lifetime replacements so you don't have the HASSLE if they are damaged...but the signal they provide is no better than a $15 Walmart brand HDMI cable. So if you install them and don't damage them, there is no benefit other than looking nice.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news and I know this is a vehicle forum and not home theater but this has to be said. I HAVE done the tests between 4 different HDMI cables and a Monster M Series HDMI and you are sadly mistaken. Phillips, RCA, Dynex, and a supplied HDMI from Dish Network. Every last one of them ( other than the Monster cable) were grainy and the sound quality was not quite as crisp and loud as the Monster. The Monster had little to no grainyness and the sound difference was much more crisp and bright especially through my surround. That being said, and back to the original thread, lets wait on the results and get our facts straight before we open our mouth and put our feet in our mouth. It's absolutely ignorant and assanine to speculate or even open your mouth unless you have tested the products for yourself. Not trying to be an *** to ANYONE on here cause I love the support of the community on this site, it's just annoying for people to talk **** when they have NO experience with multiple products AND the product in question to make an intellectual and INTELLIGENT arguement. In order to do that it requires FACTS AND BASIS.
Old 03-10-2011 | 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

And just like the truck coils, plug wires, and now your magic digital cable that somehow makes better 1s and 0s I believe firmly it is 100% placebo effect. I worked at a big box electronic store where we were supposed to sling that crap. I've hooked up and stared at countless HD TVs to every component imaginable with both Monster and whatever cheap **** we had laying around.

When I first swapped on the truck coils I could swear up and down it idled better, felt stronger, etc. So I plugged up my EFI live and compared results. Nothing different.

Switched the coils back to my old ones. Felt no change. EFI live showed nothing different.

I duped myself. So I sold the coils I got for free ( I duped myself and didn't even have anything invested!!! Imagine if I had been expecting $100+ worth of results) and went about my way.

As Gran. even stated these coils are an insanely higher output than the difference between stock/msd and their brand plug wires and there was still no difference for a full bolt on/cammed ls1.

Anyone who buys them should feel proud to get high quality cables/wires that are durable, look nice, and come with a replacement guarantee. But if you buy them expecting a performance increase, you've been had.
Old 03-10-2011 | 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My wires are the slightly shorter ls1 wires, it's on an ls3 but the wires reach just fine.
Old 03-10-2011 | 09:49 AM
Launching!

Thunder is right about the HDMI cables. Digital signals will not degrade within 6'. why do you think we can run 1000's of feet to your house
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1

Hate to be the bearer of bad news and I know this is a vehicle forum and not home theater but this has to be said. I HAVE done the tests between 4 different HDMI cables and a Monster M Series HDMI and you are sadly mistaken. Phillips, RCA, Dynex, and a supplied HDMI from Dish Network. Every last one of them ( other than the Monster cable) were grainy and the sound quality was not quite as crisp and loud as the Monster. The Monster had little to no grainyness and the sound difference was much more crisp and bright especially through my surround. That being said, and back to the original thread, lets wait on the results and get our facts straight before we open our mouth and put our feet in our mouth. It's absolutely ignorant and assanine to speculate or even open your mouth unless you have tested the products for yourself. Not trying to be an *** to ANYONE on here cause I love the support of the community on this site, it's just annoying for people to talk **** when they have NO experience with multiple products AND the product in question to make an intellectual and INTELLIGENT arguement. In order to do that it requires FACTS AND BASIS.
Wow. You my friend are an idiot. Monster cables are a joke. But if you want to justify the money you spent on it by seeing "graininess" in a digital signal on everything not overpriced 60+ dollars then go for it. Nobody cares. Your anecdotal evidence is going up against a tsunami of tests done by hundreds if not thousands of others online and all come to the conclusion that while they may have a better jacket, a 5 dollar no-name online cable can get the job done just as well.

And what's being discussed here is physics. Numbers. There is no uncertainty here. You're debating whether 50V matters when talking about tens of thousands. Is the Gran cable better? Sure. Is 50V worth the extra hundred bucks or whatever over something like an MSD cable? I think it can be safely said "no". If you're teetering on the edge where 50V makes a difference, you would not only have to test and ensure each coil and wire are within your 50V range but the lifespan would be pretty limited as the spark plugs would deteriorate and require more than that 50V soon enough. You'd have to get bigger coils so your range was wider and then you're back to square 1 not needing that 50V at a premium cost.

This is no longer a debate based on anecdotal evidence or dyno numbers. It's just simple math and common sense. You're paying 100 bucks more for 0.25% more voltage to the spark plug. As an appearance mod, go for it if you want to. As a performance mod, everyone with a brain will just walk slowly backwards away from you, so as to not startle you

EDIT: had to fix the quote tags.

Last edited by safemode; 03-10-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually he is full of **** but whatever bro
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

The yardstick to use is $/hp.
Old 03-10-2011 | 10:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I'm in the pro sound industry. I build night clubs. I do concerts. Monster or high end expensive cables are snake oil designed to steal your money. I've debunked their claim many times. Just get a decent quality cable for your stereo.

And the HDMI cables all need to conform to a standard, even the cheapest one will meet it. Kind of like USB cables.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 03-10-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-10-2011 | 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

I was very happy with my 9$ belkin HDMI cable. I used that other 51 dollars I saved for gas money.

...I take that back, I probably bought the wife something instead.

In for the "new" dyno results.
Old 03-10-2011 | 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

The ups man dropped my wires off monday, the wires look nice, and the color matches my stripes almost dead on. That is worth $105. lol j/k. I did a test fit and they fit way better than my MSD LS1 wires, Since i ordered granatelli LS3 length wires. We will see what happens on the dyno next month.

Quick Reply: Granatelli Plug wires over 15 rwhp gain??