Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak after header install...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil leak after header install...

...a bad one too!!!!

Entire bottom of the car is covered in oil. The car has NEVER leaked a single drop of fluids, EVER.

The only oil related items that were touched were there oil dipstick tube and the right side valve cover. I thought maybe I didn't put the valve cover back on tight but all the bolts are right. Doesn't appear to be leaking unless it's on the back part facing the firewall.

The dipstick tube my friend put in(I trust his work more than my own). I can't really drive the car because after a few minutes the oil starts burning off and starts smoking, BAD.

I don't know what to do, if it's neither of those problems I'm lost...

Starting to regret the header decision...should've just left well enough alone..
Old 07-10-2005, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove and re-install both the dipstick tube and valvecover, if you are unsure which one is causing the oil-leak. Just because the valvecover is tight doesn't mean it was put back on correctly, the gasket may not be lined up. The dipstick tube must be pushed/pulled fairly hard to get it in the last little bit and isn't always very easy to do with oily hands.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

you didn't move the little valve type thing above the oil filter. on my header install i had a leak and that is what caused mine.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unstopablez28
you didn't move the little valve type thing above the oil filter. on my header install i had a leak and that is what caused mine.
Oil diverter plate. I removed mine as well.

If you did remove that, check it too. I doubt that's the problem though, it is behind most of the engine and I think you'd notice if it was coming from back there vs further up. Still worth checking if you messed with it though.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't actually install the headers, my friend did. He down there doing all of that stuff.

I don't know, I know this is a stupid little leak but I'm starting to regret even doing them now.,
Old 07-10-2005, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

No offense, but if you are already starting to regret modding you car because you have an oil leak, modding may not be for you. Basically, **** happens. I'm sure you will be able to find the leak and return all to normal, but modding is somewhat risky in nature.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
No offense, but if you are already starting to regret modding you car because you have an oil leak, modding may not be for you. Basically, **** happens. I'm sure you will be able to find the leak and return all to normal, but modding is somewhat risky in nature.

I know, just my frustration showing that's all.

It's gonna be something stupid and I'm gonna kick myself for not triple checking stuff.

I'll find out what it is tomorrow, I have to get it up on a lift because I can't see a freaking thing as it sits now.

I know once everything is fixed up I'll be happy with it(well aside from the raspiness the exhaust is now)...just spent a good chunk of the day yesterday installing these thing and I can't really drive the car.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikael
Look at the car to see where its coming from. This really should be an easy fix, dont' worry about it.

That's the problem, it's not a steady leak or anything.

Only when I drive it. Even at idle I can't see anything.

I moved two oil related items. The right valve cover and the oil dipstick tube. Unless the oil is coming from behind the cover near the firewall it has to be the tube. If not...I have no clue lol
Old 07-10-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Out of curiosity why did you remove the valve cover to install headers?

Quick Reply: Oil leak after header install...