Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install...*assemble order*

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Header install...*assemble order*

I just got my Pacesetters in and they went in just fine. Now I'm on to the TSP catted Y.

My question is what order do you guys put things in after the headers are in? I started at the headers and started to work my way back. That's not going too well. I can't get the TSP Y pipe to align with the I pipe from the Borla. It will literally fit once it gets aligned. I just can't get it aligned. Would it have been better to start from the exhaust and work our way up to the headers?

I already dropped the exhaust, but would it have been easier to work from the back and go to the front of the car?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what ive read, dont tighten up the headers till you get the y-pipe on and adjusted. then go ahead and button everything up.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by amit
from what ive read, dont tighten up the headers till you get the y-pipe on and adjusted. then go ahead and button everything up.
The half an inch (Maybe!) that I'd get from not tightening the headers wouldn't get me the 3 inches I need to get everything to align and fit.

How did you guys install everything? What was the order that made everything the easiest?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
The half an inch (Maybe!) that I'd get from not tightening the headers wouldn't get me the 3 inches I need to get everything to align and fit.

How did you guys install everything? What was the order that made everything the easiest?
Thats the thing about leverage... think of the bolts as fulcrums and the primaries as levers... an inch here can give several inches there...

My headers had a catted y, so the multiple peices make it possible to put the y-pipe on after the headers get bolted down... but... I suggest for 1-peice y-pipes to install the header bolts for just a few threads and then put the y pipe on loose, then tighten down the headers, then tighten down the y-pipe
Old 08-01-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Well, if you're off 3 inches, something is wrong. Even if you do loosen up the headers (which I would recommend), the end result still won't be good. Odds are your i pipe will smack the tunnel on a regular basis if it's the connection is that far off to begin with.

Your TSP pipes should be labeled L1, R1, etc. L1 is the driver side. Make sure you have the pipes on in the right order first. Also, you may want to take pics of the pipes and send them to TSP. There are two cases that I know of recently where guys were sent the wrong peices on accident. TSP is a great company and will make it right if that is the case.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you all have to drop your exhaust to get the Y pipe in though?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

If you place a jack under your muffler, you should be able to slide the hangers off of their rubber mounts and slide the whole exhaust towards the back of the car a couple of inches. That's all I needed to get my y pipe on.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

even with the muffler all the way back the y pipe was seemingly too long when we did this.. the small end of the y pipe was all the way back into the i pipe and the front pipes were 2" too long.. so we chopped 2" off the I pipe and everything fit like a glove.. we started with the headers loose but that didnt help us at all, so we tightened them up and were able to get the correct measurements, and now my exhaust is fine..