Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fellow MTI Lid Owners do you have this same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow MTI Lid Owners do you have this same problem?

Well i bought my MTI lid and bellow....works great with the K&N that came in the car as far as fitment goes but i tried to put a WIX, Fram, ACDelco....lets just say i tried a few filters with this lid and the upper lip on them is too big so the lid wont latch down like its supposed to...WTF?

Just wondering if anybody else has had this same problem because id really like to get that oily K&N out of there. It seems to be oiling my MAF and making me run lean from what another board member said.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA
Well i bought my MTI lid and bellow....works great with the K&N that came in the car as far as fitment goes but i tried to put a WIX, Fram, ACDelco....lets just say i tried a few filters with this lid and the upper lip on them is too big so the lid wont latch down like its supposed to...WTF?

Just wondering if anybody else has had this same problem because id really like to get that oily K&N out of there. It seems to be oiling my MAF and making me run lean from what another board member said.
All I can say is sell it on ebay and go with the donaldson blackwing. Best fitting and doesn't rub the hood. You get your moneys worth!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to push relatively hard until it seats all the way. After that the snaps will not come off. If you leave the lid not seated all the way it will brake one of the tabs. It happened to me. Just line it up and then push from the front as hard as you can and it will seat all the way. These lids are hard to get to seat with the Smooth Bellow (specially the slp one). Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Yea i had to do that before....but the problem is when u put a wix or any other kind of filter in there other than k&n (that ive tried) the top lip on the actual filter is so tall that it just wont work at all without cutting.....by the way bluebird what filter are you running?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you do not have the lid pushed back far enought to seat correctly..when they are new you have to push fairly hard to get them in the right position..push harder and it will work..
Old 08-02-2005, 01:25 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I Had The Same Problem Only K&n Filter Fit For Me. I Tried Putting In A Fram Air Filter With No Luck..
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Default The Lid

Originally Posted by KannibaliztikTA

Just a little FYI.....
1) The lid was designed to work with a k&n air filter.

2) We have heard of this problem and excess oiling of the filter will cause the MAF to get a little dirty.

Please call us if you have any questions. We will be glad to talk to you or anyone that has an issue with our lids.

Thanks,
Jeff.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

thanks jeff...im not trying to slam mti here at all....and now that you tell me (already had a hunch) that it was designed to work specifically with the k&n i see where my problems comming from with these other filters....other than that no problems at all i just wish i could use a regular filter due to the oil factor but ive heard a few ways to handle the oil as well so no big deal really.

IMJ its good to see im not the only one
Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem, I have the MTI Clear lid and a FRAM air filter (it matches my black with orange color scheme) It takes a little patience and just looking at it all a second time, after a few frustrated looks and a few pushes, it went in and has stayed in for me for a good month now.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

mine fit fine with a k&n and the fram paper one thats i the car now?i push the tabs in the back in with the front of the lid tilted up some,then latch it down
Old 08-04-2005, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. even the rubber gasket that comes with the k&n will not fit under the lid. But with just the filter,it fits fine.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

no problems either with mine, just push down on lid and slide it back into the tabs,when lid is in place clamp it down it creates a tight seal