Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 with no cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since when do cops look under your car? I've NEVER heard of that happening.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

just buy a set outta the for sale section here, for around $50 a pair
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssrunner
Since when do cops look under your car? I've NEVER heard of that happening.
I've seen a lot of DOT (dept. of trans.) cops running around in Florida... so even tho we have no emissions.. we can still get nailed if one of them decides to be a dick and look under the car....

at least... thats my 2 cents.

BTW... Thank you all for awnsering his questions... as i was having many of the same questions myself...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by exit
I've seen a lot of DOT (dept. of trans.) cops running around in Florida... so even tho we have no emissions.. we can still get nailed if one of them decides to be a dick and look under the car....

at least... thats my 2 cents.

BTW... Thank you all for awnsering his questions... as i was having many of the same questions myself...

I was infront of one yesterday, i did a nice 20-60 mph acceleration in a 45 mph zone w/ my current exhaust and he didnt do ****.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i take the cats off and don't put sims on right now. Would that hurt the car and performance or just give me the light?
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Launching!

You'll get the light, and it will affect your fuel map. It makes it think the cats are clogged up or just not working, cause there is no difference in the O2 readings from the first sensor to the second. It messes with your fuel injection to make the gasses hotter, hoping to burn out the carbon that it thinks is clogging the cats. (don't know if that'd be more or less fuel, I forget) this is the way it was explained to me a while ago, yell at me if I'm wrong, :-P
Old 09-03-2005, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

you will get a p0420 cataylist efficiency code probably will be a fist trip DTC set just knock the material out of the cat with a long screw driver and plug in the o2 sim there you are done
Old 09-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Teching In

use the clothes hanger in the drill trick to gut your cats easier than chipping at it
Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Imo I Would Probabyl Buy Another Set Of Gutted Cats For 50 Bucks That Way U Have The Original Ones For Encase U Want To Go Back To Stock. Oh Yeah Get The O2 Sims I Have A Set Ill Sell U If Your Intrested. Just Pm Me..
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

Imo I Would Probabyl Buy Another Set Of Gutted Cats For 50 Bucks That Way U Have The Original Ones For Encase U Want To Go Back To Stock. Oh Yeah Got Some O2 Sims Ill Sell U If Your Intrested. Just Pm Me..
Old 09-03-2005, 08:42 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Just buy the sims and plug them in where your after-cat O2 sensors plug in, zip tie them up, and you're good to go. I ran them for a week b4 I put headers in, work like a charm, no codes.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well what I would probably prefer is just to have them programmed out. dont have to mess around with sims them. Would any of you be in my area that would do that, for fee of course. i'm near pensacola florida
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arcolog2
You'll get the light, and it will affect your fuel map. It makes it think the cats are clogged up or just not working, cause there is no difference in the O2 readings from the first sensor to the second. It messes with your fuel injection to make the gasses hotter, hoping to burn out the carbon that it thinks is clogging the cats. (don't know if that'd be more or less fuel, I forget) this is the way it was explained to me a while ago, yell at me if I'm wrong, :-P
Only the front oxygen sensors will affect the cars' fuel trim. The rears are there only to monitor the catalyst efficiency and warn of impending failure. It's part of the OBD II standard that the PCM must be able to warn the driver of an impending emissions related failure so he can have the car repaired before it actually fails. Making the exhaust gasses hotter than normal will only melt the substrate and plug up the cats. Catalysts aren't affected by carbon build-up because it gets burnt off before it has a chance to build up.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

someone told me if i took my cats out i could probaly get flames is that true?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TigerSharkVette
someone told me if i took my cats out i could probaly get flames is that true?
If you're running rich enough...

Flames from the exhaust means that unburnt fuel is being ignited after it exits the exhaust piping.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

If I bought a pair of cats and gutted them would I still need the O2's
Old 09-19-2005, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by baldurann
If you're running rich enough...

Flames from the exhaust means that unburnt fuel is being ignited after it exits the exhaust piping.
haha this is prob a dumb question but how can it run rich enough, anything i could do
Old 09-19-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just want it loud put a damn Flowmaster on it and be done. The one on my Z28 will shake the fillings out of your teeth. If I ever see the person who owned this car before me I'm gonna kick his ***. When I get a new system you can have this one..................damn I need a Hooker!
Old 09-19-2005, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLwNo3COBRA
If I bought a pair of cats and gutted them would I still need the O2's
Hehe, have you read any of this thread?

Ok, first scenario... You have your stock cats installed. You decide to gut them. You put them back on and your car will throw a SES light, because your rear O2 sensors will detect that the cats are not functioning properly. So, you get rear O2 simulators to cure that.

Now, second scenario... Your car is stock with the stock cats again. You buy new cats and then gut them and replace your stock cats with them. So, now you have gutted cats (similar to the first scenario) and you will throw the SES light, because your rear O2 sensors will detect that the cats are not functioning properly. So, you get rear O2 simulators to cure that.

Buying cats and then gutting them to replace the stock cats is no different then gutting the stock cats and putting them back on. They will both throw a code without O2 simulators or tuning.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

If you are just wanting the car to be louder, get a cheap set of headers/ORY (uncoated pacesetters) and then put a loudmouth catback on it. Cheap and very, very loud! Therefore you get the loudness that you want now and the power you will want later.

Quick Reply: LS1 with no cats