Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowtech cutouts...poor quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Flowtech cutouts...poor quality

Yah they are cheap but damn, this is the worst quality I have seen on anything before. The openings that are cut on the inside are nowhere near the same size. One is almost twice the size opening as the other. The gaskets and plates have to be forced on pretty damn hard, almost stripping the bolts. I am wondering how the hell I am going to get the plates off without damaging the gaskets when the c/o's are on the car. I will never purchase anything with the name flowtech on it again.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did yours even seal? Cause mine didn't even with all the gaskets on.... Luckily I just left it open all the time after the cats.... sounded fine.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a hit or miss with those cutouts. I've had 4 of them. Half were perfect quality, half are horrible. On the bad ones, i just get a long cutting tool and trim up the insides.

Never had a problem with them not sealing though.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

I just bought a set and one was excellent and the other was kinda rough. I almost felt like I could have done a better job myself. I miss my welder...
Old 08-06-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mine and had it installed today.... The workmanship on the cutout was the worst I have ever seen... Where the straight section was cut out was a total mess.. The guy at the shop had to torch out a much bigger hole than what they had provided. If I had a so called business that couldn't turnout anybetter stuff than this.... I would close the damned doors, instead of selling junk!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

mine sealed but it took some time to get the gaskets to even fit correcty, they were crap too. I plan on just cutting the inside as much as i can so the opening willl be much larger than the stock diameter, should be annoyingly loud, lol.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is that the same kind of quality on the mufflers or headers too? I heard a bitching sounding muffler taht i'd like to get but after hearing the hit or miss with this brand i'm iffy now...
Old 08-06-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have no idea concerning there other products.... But the cutout was sad...
Old 08-06-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their headers are horrible quality. Chris at speed demon was trying to fit them on a z28 and ended up cutting and re-welding most of the primaries just to get them to bolt up.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Launching!

I agree with the flowtech cutouts, mine was so so, the hole was small in the middle, but I guess they do this cause they want to make sure there won't be any leaks.

far as headers I love mine, I did have to return one because the header flange wasn't totally flat, but they gave no problems in sending a new one out at no charge to me-in a timely manor as well. The headers are the same design as the hookers as they come from the same parent company holly. The welds weren't great but for the price I couldn't complain, and they fit perfect without any trouble just slipped right in. I didn't have to remove the coils or sparkplugs, or starter or lift the engine, the driver side i had to remove the steering shaft-which is common for longtubes anyway. Maybe they've changed their quality cause mine was good except for that flange. The Y pipe was crappy cause it was off and wouldn't fit, although they welds were excellent-so maybe it was a hooker pipe. I had to bend the pipe some to make it fit. I'm sure thy would have sent out a new y pipe, but I didn't feel like waiting for something i could fix myself. This is the price you pay for these kind of headers-pacesetters doesn't have this kind of problem, but costs more and doesn't include 02 extenders and header reducers, so if you want to save another 80-100 bucks get flowtechs, if you don't want the headache go pacesetters
Old 08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

My flowtech cutout is great and my flowtech headers are great. Ordered them 3 months apart.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Default cutout

My flowtech cutout is als made crappy......i was thinking about using a cutting tool to port the insides, i noticed alot of rough edges in there.. who makes a better cutout.. QMP?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

should've bought the DMH cut-outs
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

My Jeg's 3'' cutout is awesome I freakin love it.