Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut off muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cut off muffler?

I have a 02 WS6 with only a 160 thermo and lid. stock exhaust. would it sound bad to cut off my muffler? too loud or sound a little better?
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

i dont have a muffler on my 00 ws6 i think it sounds like a quieter loudmouth
IMO it sounds good
Old 08-07-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a cut out installed in the pipe under the rear seat, louder than stock open, cap it for long trips.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

well im not going with a cutout bc i plan on this exhaust setup..

in a couple months this is what i want.

--keeping stock manifolds (since 02 flows as well as shortys) to non catted SLP direct replacement ORP ypipe to loudmouth.

so untill then i was wondering if the stock exhaust would sound like shi^ with no muffler? sound bad? is it LOUD? its a daily driver and i would like something more aggressive untill i do my ORP/loudmouth setup. thanks guys
Old 08-07-2005, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uh... the loud mouth IS the same exhaust without a muffler...
if you replaced the stock muffler with a ypipe you would have the loudmouth...

to answer your question, it will sound about the same as a loudmouth.....
Old 08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you havn't heard a car with an ORY and loudmouth before, do NOT go that route until you hear it IN PERSON. It will rasp and, IMO, sound like

Why not get longtubes? Shorties suck.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

well i dont have the money for longtubes and i dont want to lose clearance. the 02 manifolds seem sufficient since i will never be diping into the heads/block. i thought the loudmouth sounded like shi^ only with headers and ORP. i figured since ill still have the manifolds on it would sound better with little rasp? what about loudmouthII?
Old 08-07-2005, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by narc
well i dont have the money for longtubes and i dont want to lose clearance. the 02 manifolds seem sufficient since i will never be diping into the heads/block. i thought the loudmouth sounded like shi^ only with headers and ORP. i figured since ill still have the manifolds on it would sound better with little rasp? what about loudmouthII?
Yes, the loudmouth does sound like (to a lot of people) with header and ORY. The key is the ORY because cats, even high flow cats, do an exceptionally good job of killing rasp. Manifolds vs headers doesn't matter all that much. Don't waste money with an ORY and stock manifolds, it is worth virtually zero horsepower. Just get a cat-back and save for longtubes/y-pipe later. If you aren't lowered clearance isn't an issue, and even if you are lowered going with headers that tuck up nicely (almost anything but SLP) will still be adequate. If you want to run the loudmouth you will probably want to either run cats or change the muffler to the $100 Borla XR1-1 (maybe both). You might want to look into a different cat-back that will still sound good with an ORY. Only problem is that there isn't much that's loud, flows well, is economically priced and sounds good (no rasp) without cats.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

thanks bud. i figured after looking at those bulky cats so close to the collectors/manifolds and that terrible looking smashed on drivers side y pipe that an ORP would be beneficial. what diameter is the stock y pipe(obviously not where it is smashed up to like a 1/2 inch on the drivers side) and stock catback? u really think a ORP will net me no gains? those cats and smashed y pipe have to be restrictive.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

You'd be surprised. Do a search. The stock muffler is the major restriction, followed by the manifolds. People have made around 400 NA rwhp with factory manifolds/cats.

Just don't look at or think about the crushed Y-pipe and save for headers/y-pipe, with a cat-back for now and you'll be happy.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

i think ill cut off the muffler for now and drive with no tips..then just toss the loudmouth on there in a month or two. those cats and y pipe look so damn ugly and restrictive its surprising to me that those are not the problem ares of flow
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

anyone else have anymore comments. think the pipe would have exhaust fumes seep into the car bc its under the car. and having no tips look stupid?
Old 08-08-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

In all honesty, why even bother buying shorties? On an '02 car you probably won't see any gains. If you're worried about clearance there are always mid lenghts. You won't lose ground clearance with headers, unless you go with like SLP. Most long tubes I see aren't much more expensive than shorties. Some shorties I've seen are more expensive than long tubes!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I've done that on my previous 2 LS1s. Sounded good. I got alot of people asking what kind of exhaust I had. Sounded pretty good to me. Loud for sure.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

ya i bet it does sound good..like the loudmouth. 2 things that are holding me back are the no tips and exhaust gas under the car. think thats a prob? plus if i sell the stock catback i will need to cut there anyway to take it off in 2 pieces
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

I always had the dual tips on mine. Take a pic of the loudmouth setup and just have them put a "y" after it comes over the axle, and run the 2 pipes out. Mine was kinda like the GMMG exhaust, but I didn't have a muffler on my '98 T/A at first, then we put a single in/out 40 series Flowmaster in place, keepin the dual tips. I ran the same setup on my '02 Z minus Flowmaster from the day after I got the car, until I got a 4" Spintech dual outlet, and it was too quiet, so I ran 3" TD's with 1-chamber Flow's.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

hey guys im new on here and this is my first post (on this site anyway), so take it for what its worth. I'm running no muffler with dual tips, and feel like it sounds better than any other LS1 catbacks out there. I've got stock mani's, stock y, and all we did was take the factory exhaust off after the axle, weld on a pre-fabbed y, and ran dual tips out the back. Some people say that !muffler is too loud, but I think it sounds perfect, and theres no tellin how many people bakc down just by the way the car sounds. With my mods in my sig. and people who kno what i have, they stil wont run against me just bc it sounds like i've got more than i really do. pretty much sounds like the LM without the rasp. When the engine is revved and starts goin back down to idle, there isnt any sound from backpressue that sounds so nasty on most LS1 cars, just a real deep, loud, and smooth sound. not as much hwy drone as would be expected either. anyways.....here's a pic of how my dad and i did the system. sorry, no soundclips. i'll try to get a better pic tomorrow where you can see the whole rear setup.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

oops...doesnt do much good w/o a link, my bad........

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1514584/4
Old 08-12-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Kyles 2000z ur right..I just choped off the muffler and its looks funny with no tips but it sounds SO GOOD...stock 2002 exhaust and no muffler sounds GREAT..cant decide if i want to go ahead and fab up a y pipe/3.5"tips at a exhaust shop with the stock 2.75" catback or go and get the 3" SS loudmouth.. i think im going loudmouth bc its stainless and i think the 3.5" slash cut tips will look sweet. its 350$ though which sucks. It sounds GOOD but looks retarded right now w no tips. think ill gain anything from going to a 3" pipe(loudmouth) from the stock 2.75"? for 350$?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

nah i dont thin 1/4" will make much difference in power, if any at all.........at least on a car that isnt midded heavily yet. now whenever you're gettin alot more air into the eingine, it'll be a different story, but with somethin like i have (just basic intake an dfree mods), it wouldnt be a noticable difference IMO. told ya it sounds sweet tho!...leavin mine just like it is for a while until the big mods roll in!