Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i go no cats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can i go no cats?

guys kinda new so i hope this is the right place, i got a 99 trans am stock besides muffler, what im wonderin is if i can get my cats cut and just some straight pipe replacin them, i know i can on the passenger side but i dont know about on the drivers side cause its like right in the turn, what do u guys think, please help me out, thanks
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 PM
SSU, come over and relax

you can do it but i wouldnt waste my time. just get a cutout for like $30
Old 08-07-2005, 10:42 PM
SSU, come over and relax

oh...

if you dont want cats at all i say just wait till you get headers and just get an off road pipe then
Old 08-07-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

It would be cheaper to just remove your cats, gut them, and put them back than to put straight pipes in.

Keep any local emissions requirements in mind as well.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could, it wouldn't be hard.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

would it be worth gettin the straight pipes in it will only cost at the most 75 bucks
Old 08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

I did it to the first TA that I had, mainly to have a better/louder sound. On this car though I just waited and did longtubes and full exhaust all at once. This is what I recommend, unless you NEVER plan to get headers. One more little thing, constantly being on this site will give you the modding disease like you wouldn't believe. Good luck in whatever your decision.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

i know man there no drug as addictive as horespower, i have an 84 camaro slightly modded, its easier and more fun to drive but my ta is so much faster i love when a girl's in my car and shes leanin up to just slam the gas to the floor, u guys ever done that its the best they usually get mad but what the heck, anyways i dont really plan on gettin headers but like u said its hard not to modded i told my self i wasnt gonna do anythin to it, this was only a month ago, since ive got it ive already bought a hpp3, im gonna try to get pictures up for u guys, also did u notice any difference when u took the cats off, and whats the drill mod?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

I tried to time myself with a stopwatch from X mph-X mph before and after the !CATS and the Blowmaster that was installed. This was on the same day as well. I didn't see any gains to be honest with you. It sounded good and the sound gave you the impression that it was accelerating faster, but with my shitty method of testing I saw nothing.

The drill mod is for 6 speed cars, you remove the master cylinder and drill out the restriction in the steel braided line. This allows the fluid to travel faster improving high rpm clutch action as well as making your clutch grab harder/quicker. The restriction was designed for a smooth clutch feel while driving around like a grandma, not good for anything else. There is a writeup on ls1howto.com or installuniversity.com.....check it out.