Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna modify cutouts... Anyone try this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna modify cutouts... Anyone try this?

I'm thinking if restricting my cutouts for daily driving. I have a chokemaster muffler and got the cutout for increased flow, but it's too loud (and too many rattles) for day to day driving. My car has been lowered two inches, so going under and putting the cap on and off is a bit of a chore.

I'm thinking of cutting out a restricted plate that will reduce the sound but still give me increased flow by blocking off half the output of the cutout. So, i'd have a semi-circle, instead of a full circle.

Another idea i had was to use place washers under the plate that will space the plate and the outlet by about 1 centimeter on all sides.

Anyone ever try this, and did it work?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 AM
Launching!

Default hmm

your idea sounds similar to the Borla exhaust design..( restrictor plates ). after all its about the same thing.. go for it and let me know who it sounds. =)
Old 08-08-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It will still be loud, and raspy
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it will still sound bad. I say just get rid of the Flowmaster and get a borla XR-1
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

I did the washer thing a week ago. I put three washers on each and screwed on the cutout plate and it sounded better. You can adjust it however tight you want.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made restrictor plates and they all sounded horrible. Kind of like a rattley exhaust leak. I tried using several size holes and none of them sounded as good as an open cutout.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

I'm also gonna try putting a few layers of mesh-net (screen material) over it as well and then bolting the metal gasket over it to hold it in place. I'm just looking to lower the intensity so that it doesn't rattle the interior so much. I'll try everything and let you know how it works out.

All input is welcome.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

I've had my qtp cutout for almost 2 years---fun---was beginning to rattle when OPEN--thought it was the plate,so I tried welding plate--still rattled--I thought..hmmm--tried just the open cutout as is--still rattled--I think the cat,or cats,are the culprits...and yes,I did try the trick Ell Ess Won did with the 3 washers--sounded okay,not as much of the rattle was noticeable--someone else on the board thought their plate was rattling also,maybe it was their cats too---[yes,I know some of you don't have the damn cats,but if we get caught here in B.C. without them,we are in for big $$$$ fines.]...may take them off when headers arrive anyway,or get new high-flow ones,which apparently flow almost as good as having none..[Long winded,I know-might help someone though???]
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

I stopped by ACE hardware and picked up 12 washers, (four for each bolt) and put them under the plate. It drastically reduced the rattling, but not all the way (and the noise was comfortable), at the same time there was a good SOTP difference. I got home and made it three for each bolt but haven't given it a run yet.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you have rattling cats also???