Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deleting cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default deleting cats

i'm considering deleting my cats since pa doesn't test emissions in my county. What would be the cheapest way to go through with this? getting a new off road y pipe? or just getting pipes that replace the cats with straight pipes? I also know that i need o2 sims for the second set of o2 sensors. My car is pretty much stock except a slp lid and a Tsp rumbler cat back. Wouldm that make my car louder cause the rumbler isn't loud enough...lol.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:26 AM
On The Tree

deleting the cats will make your car alot louder. im waiting on my o2 sims to come to cut mine off, since i jsut had a true dual setup installed. o and it sounds so nice. just put pipes inplace of the cats you have. thats all i did on my lt1 firebird and it took about an hour.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

removing cats on a stock exhaust should be worth around 5-8rwhp.
if i were you i would buy some cheap long tubes, and just have a coustom y pipe made.
and keep your cat-back..... will be loud, but you should pick up around 15-20rwhp!
Old 08-14-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
removing cats on a stock exhaust should be worth around 5-8rwhp.
if i were you i would buy some cheap long tubes, and just have a coustom y pipe made.
and keep your cat-back..... will be loud, but you should pick up around 15-20rwhp!
thanks for the suggestion, but i don't have cash to get long tubes...cause i wouldn't be able to install them myself. removings the cats...or putting ona new y pipe I could do though, plus I want to stay away from needing a tune till I have the csh to get a cam put in as well. I just want it to be a lil bit louder..not really worried about the power gains to much.

is there a place that sells test pipes that go where the stock cats go? or should i just go with a new y pipe that doesn't have cats?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

since they don't have emissions in your county they will do a visual inspection and you will fail your safety inspection. you'd be better off just gutting them.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

whats involved in gutting them??
Old 08-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/365263-gutted-cats-how.html
Old 08-14-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fguy1998
since they don't have emissions in your county they will do a visual inspection and you will fail your safety inspection. you'd be better off just gutting them.
they don't check any emissions or do a visual inspection..its only a safety inspection. I'm not sure why, but my parents said that when they went...they only checked safety stuff and only got one sticker on their windshield.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

SLP (and probably others) sell replacement pipes for the cats. Kinda pricy, though, and for another $100 or so you can get LT headers. Same with the ORY pipes for stock exhaust headers. If you can find a friendly exhaust shop they could take your cats and cut off the flanges and weld up something.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gwj
SLP (and probably others) sell replacement pipes for the cats. Kinda pricy, though, and for another $100 or so you can get LT headers. Same with the ORY pipes for stock exhaust headers. If you can find a friendly exhaust shop they could take your cats and cut off the flanges and weld up something.
no good muffler shops around me..they couldn't even weld a cut out properly into place. i've see off road y pipes for 240...cheapestheaders i've seen cost 400..then i'd also need a new y pipe anyway which would be 240..plus..I can't install headers...so that would be another 300-400 for install...hence why i can't do headers right now cause i'd be spending another 800 roughly...plus I would want to drive around with headers without a tune..so taht would be another 500...so...headers aren't an option right now. I'm just trying to see the best options for ditching cats with stock exhaust manifolds...do i get test pipes and leave the stock y pipe..or should I just replace withj a off road y pipe? I haven't seena site that sells test pipes yet...anybody know fo any?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will not have a problem driving around with headers and no tune!
you will make more power with a tune, but youll be fine with out.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
you will not have a problem driving around with headers and no tune!
you will make more power with a tune, but youll be fine with out.
I know that I won't have a problem..but your gas mileage goes to **** because of the rich condition that headers will create. I put 350-400 miles on my car a week...i'd start spending more on gas, which i don't need to do. regardless....buying headers is anoher 400...plus another 400 to install...thats 800 that I don't have to spend....
Old 08-15-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Just gut the Cats and get O2 sims thats what im doing, had SLP LM exhaust and wanted something louder but couldnt afford LT's so I just got some O2 sims and gutted the cats. Just a thought keeps from spending too much before the headers.