Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hedman X-pipe Your thought please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hedman X-pipe Your thought please.

I am trying to decide on which x-pipe to get. This hedman x pipe look nice and inexpensive. The only thing I am worried about is that the drivers side is not angle inward. I am trying to keep the install as easy as possible. With this x I would only need the mufflers, turn downs, and hangers welded in. Then use band clamps to butt up with the pacesetters. I'm am dumping and going 2.5 inch for clearance. Think this is a good way to go Opinion please.

Last edited by Uno99; 08-22-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought the x junction only, had an exhaust shop fabricate the rest. If you buy the whole kit, I believe you will have to modify the pipes a bit because of the angle of the headers (I could be wrong, but I remember reading a thread a while ago that said that).
Old 08-22-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

That is main main concern. I don't mind having an exhaust shop bend it I cust don't want it crush bent. Is there any x-pipe similar to this with the drivers side already angled inward. I would like to be able to bolt it right up with band clamps.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Uno99
That is main main concern. I don't mind having an exhaust shop bend it I cust don't want it crush bent. Is there any x-pipe similar to this with the drivers side already angled inward. I would like to be able to bolt it right up with band clamps.
TSP's true dual kit is the only one I know of.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Any other suggetion??
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not been under a LS1 car so I don't know how severe the bends need to be. If they are minor then crush isn't a big problem, or a shop could do a few small bends to minimize the crush.

The way I am going about a sililar thing is I am paying more for headers BUT they have available hookup pipes to fit any existing catback that uses stock locations and then bought an x-pipe made to fit the stock locations. I could have bought cheaper headers but the cost of hooking them up to my catback would have ended up making them cost more. I am unfamiliar with the f-body option but MAYBE you can find something like this. A lot more guys mod f-bodies than tanks like mine so I would think someone has components that can meet up at stock points.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

I think the bend will be minor.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the answer you are looking for. I have built a couple systems using what you are looking at.

Let me first recommend to get the Summit kit for 99 bucks. The headman crossover is the same thing with a plate welded to the top of it to make it look like there is more to it. Its all 16 gauge aluminized tubing.

Here is what you do..

The kit comes with 4 legs and the x. You will take 2 legs and simply cut them as close to bend as possible so that when they hook up to the x they will be as close together as possible.

The passenger front leg will need to be extended to the header because it will come up short because of where the x has to be placed. Use one of the pieces you cut off the rear legs and weld it to the passenger leg up tp the header.

The driver side is kinda tricky. You will need to buy a U bend although I made one without it. The x doesnt flare out wide enough to follow the factory exhaust path on the driver side so you can take a section of the U bend and make the x curve toward the driver side sharper to make it over to where the stock system runs. When you get to the point where it needs to turn back then weld the last leg and another section of the U bend together so that it aims straight at the header. Carry your front legs to exhaust shop and have the ends flared before welding it all up.

I wrote this assuming you have a welder. If you dont then you really should not attempt this because of the driver side angle.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, if you're looking for quality, maximum performance, and a simple lift and clamp procedure, id reccomend Lane's duals. It come completely welded, sounds AMAZING!!! and fits very nicely. I went with the 12' flo-pro twisters for a slightly more refined sound than the bullets, but it sounds so beautiful. Its somewhat expensive, but one hundred percent worth-while! PM me if you have any questions or if you want some pics!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know what the hell to do. I'm trying save a little cash. But Prefabbed systems are much easier for me to install. I talked with TSP and they don't make their TD's in 2.5 inch. I sent an e-mail to LANE'S today hofully they can help me out.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Your best bet is to call. Lane is a great guy to do business with, and his work is top notched. I would either go with his setup, or that Hedmann kit. The TSP setup is not much different then those universal kits. Alot of people have had to take theirs to a shop to tweak it and spent more $ in the long run.

Jason
Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

There num on there site is not working.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haven't looked lately but last time i looked one number was working and the other wasn't. Might look again. If you have access to a welder or a rental, like was said you can get the kit you looked at "hedman" and a 180 bend and fab it yourself. Also a tablesaw with cutoff wheel or whatever, and a beltsander for adjustment of cuts. You can do it my son.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

I have located a used TSP setup over on a different forum To cheap to pass up. Looks like I will just need to be very careful driving around.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Or NOT the guy backed out so now I'm back debating whether or not I should give this x-pipe a try. There are quite a few sound clip on LS1sounds with people using the hedman x. Now I need to find some reducers so I can butt it up to the headers.