Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did clean my K&N Filter right???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did clean my K&N Filter right???

i cleaned out all the dust and rocks and stuff, and then sprayed the cleaner and washed it off. now i sprayed it with the oil but it doesnt seem as red as it use to be and i dont want to over oil it, i sprayed about 3 coats and it has a dark pinkish color and just wanted to make sure i did it right. or do i have to use the whole oil spray can????

Last edited by Z28LS1camaroguy; 09-03-2005 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

NO DO NOT use the whole can... I usually put about 1-2 coats so your good.. As long as it doesn't drip.. Make sure you let it dry for a bit to ensure the oil is set...
Old 09-03-2005, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

I'm in the proccess of doing mine as well, it's a blue holley filter though.
I've heard alot of talk about not using K&N type filters because oil gets into the MAF. The way I always understood it was they are fine just so long as you don't OVER oil the filter. I've run K&N's on my cars over the last 15 years and never had a problem but I was always very careful when it came to oiling them .
What you want to do is get a light coating of the oil on the filter, it will never look the same dark pink as it did when it was new but your MAF is more important than how a filter looks. As long as you have a nice light, even coating on the filter I'd call it a day. Definetly do not use the whole can-lol.
just my .02
Old 09-03-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

ok well its not dripping off or anything but it has that glazed look that they say you want and i just wanted to make sure i did it right, i cleaned off the edges of the excess oil spray on the rubber part and put her in and should be fine then. i also plan to clean the MAF anyways soon i heard its good even if you dont have a oiled filter.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

if you throw any ses codes, you probably over oiled your k&N. if that happens clean your maf and get you sodes checked. write them down then erase them. most of the time you codes won't come back, and if they do you already have the codes to know whats wrong.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

ok well it looks like i am cleaning my filter again b/c i checked it today after letting it sit overnight and it had some drops come off when i shook it, also when i set it on a paper towel some of the towel was pink so i think i over oiled it. but this time i am gonna do 2 light coats.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

You can blow out the excess oil w/ a leaf blower or even a hair dryer on the cool setting, it possible to use an air compressor but you have to be careful to not blow the guaze out of the filter. I always do this before I put it back in the car.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I usually dab it with a few paper towels to get the excess oil off.

holley blue here..
Old 09-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually drop mine onto a towel a couple of times to get rid of the excess oil.

Quick Reply: did clean my K&N Filter right???