Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP BlackWing LID

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP BlackWing LID

I got a good deal on one of the SLP BlackWing LID for my car. It was a factory slp option on a 02 SS camaro and it is in very good condition. I've been told that they are very expensive brand new from slp and flows better than some of the aftermarket lids. Is it true? Does anyone owns one of these or changed it to a different brand. How good exactly is this lid?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats a "good" deal? your right, they are expensive, typical of any slp product. however this one is actually a nice piece, its got OEM build quality and sturdyness and is better then there aftermarket **** lid they sell.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Launching!

I got this one for $150 in mint condition with the hoes needed, the clamps needed, and a holly powershot filter. The BlackWing lid brand new by it self at SLP is $299.

Last edited by Feng (peter) Zhao; 09-30-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Good deal! Tell the truth jrp does.

Sorry, could not resist. My son is watching Return of the Jedi in the other room.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Any other inputs?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Everyone I've asked this question to said the blackwing lid is either as good or better than any other lid on the market. Mine came with the lid and I've kept it.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I swapped mine for the actual cheap SLP lid and gained a touch over the blackwing. It's mostly in part due to the poor transition from the square lid to the round maf. The Blackwing uses the rubber boot that is lumpy and not a very smooth transition, wearas the normal SLP lid is a smooth molded plastic transition from square to round. On a mostly stock car, the diffrences would be negligable. The blackwing is a much better quality lid though.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:30 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I swapped mine for the actual cheap SLP lid and gained a touch over the blackwing. It's mostly in part due to the poor transition from the square lid to the round maf. The Blackwing uses the rubber boot that is lumpy and not a very smooth transition, wearas the normal SLP lid is a smooth molded plastic transition from square to round. On a mostly stock car, the diffrences would be negligable. The blackwing is a much better quality lid though.
define a touch? i'd honestly sacrifice some hp to go from my normal slp lid too the blackwing.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

thats odd, i figure you would get the lid because there gains to be had, not get it in spite of "a touch" of HP loss. The blackwing looks alot like a fat stock lid, and atleast from what i saw its kinda ugly.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

When I say a touch, I'm talkin a tenth maybe. It could be chalked up to driver or conditions, but those were the result I got. I'm sure the more power you make, the more it would come into effect. The black wing lid is a nice "tough" piece, but I had no trouble from the regular SLP lid, nor my TSP lid. Since I had no trouble with any of the lids, I decide to keep the one that made the most power. The lid isn't going to be taking a beating, so the thickness of the blackwing is kinda over kill. If they all fit good, why not run the one that makes the smoothest transitions? That's how I looked at it anyway. JMO
Old 10-01-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
When I say a touch, I'm talkin a tenth maybe. It could be chalked up to driver or conditions, but those were the result I got. I'm sure the more power you make, the more it would come into effect. The black wing lid is a nice "tough" piece, but I had no trouble from the regular SLP lid, nor my TSP lid. Since I had no trouble with any of the lids, I decide to keep the one that made the most power. The lid isn't going to be taking a beating, so the thickness of the blackwing is kinda over kill. If they all fit good, why not run the one that makes the smoothest transitions? That's how I looked at it anyway. JMO
but how do you know it's the smoothest transitions? Air flow is a complex subject and very few if any and get it right buy guessing, i.e. looking at it.

Hence there are multi million dollar wind tunnels and test equipment out there.

IMO any differences where either the situations/conditons or imagination.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
but how do you know it's the smoothest transitions? Air flow is a complex subject and very few if any and get it right buy guessing, i.e. looking at it.

Hence there are multi million dollar wind tunnels and test equipment out there.

IMO any differences where either the situations/conditons or imagination.
Your deffinatlly correct on the complexity of air, but, any untrained eye could be given both lids and asked,"which one has the smoothest transition" and the molded lids will win every time. With the molded lid, there are no lumps, ridges, or sharp drop offs like rubber boot that comes with the black wing. If you had both lids in front of you, you'd see that it isn't rocket science.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the blackwing lid was designed like that to improve airflow through the MAF.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, if you can measure a tenth of a HP with your butt you're in the wrong business!

That's resolution most dynos would envy!
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 AM
TECH Addict

I had to get a blackwing, because my other SLP lid was rubbing. No sign of rubbing issues anymore. Love the lid!

Mother ****** better not rub!
Old 10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Yea I have the same problem with my slp lid right now. That is the main reason why I bought this one, cause it fits perfect. The other one rubbed so bad that it took a piece of paint out under the hood, the BlackWing can make some power and fit perfect too, and with the price and deal I got it was a nobrainer.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

anyone wanna post a pic of what it looks like?

or is this the stock looking lid but is extra tall? why so tall if so, and PICS!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
anyone wanna post a pic of what it looks like?

or is this the stock looking lid but is extra tall? why so tall if so, and PICS!
give me 2 minutes...

Old 10-02-2005, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Man, that certainly is beefy looking! If there are little/no power losses vs. all the others out there (and the price does not kill you) it looks like the clydesdale (sp?) of lids. You're pretty much guaranteed no warping/fitment problems with that sucka!

Quick Reply: SLP BlackWing LID