Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP BlackWing LID

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an inetersting experience with mine. Took off the SLP cause it was rubbing and installed the blackwing - got an SES light and the code to check for blocked filter or inlet tube!!! Haven't taken the time to sort that out - just an fyi.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my Blackwing about a year ago with an SLP lid due to seeing how the airflow met the MAF. As my pics will show the Blackwing's exit does not appear as free flowing as the aftermarket SLP lid. I don't know if it was worth any power but I thought it could not hurt.

BTW The Blackwing must flow fine as I made 399rwhp with it on stock heads w a TR224! My SLP lid fits fine also.

It's hard to get good close up pics with my digi but these should give a good idea.....

Blackwing Pics

SLP Lid

Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssheets
Dude, if you can measure a tenth of a HP with your butt you're in the wrong business!

That's resolution most dynos would envy!
I was saying a tenth in the 1/4 maybe. I also said it could have been weather or any other determining factors. If I could measure HP within a 1/10 of accuracy, I wouldn't be on here talking to you guys.

Ryan02SS reinerated and showed exactly what I was trying to explain. You can clearly see the flat spots and ridges that interupt air flow. I'm not saying it isn't a good lid, but if your looking for every last hp, you might want to look elsewhere. I wouldn't want my 90mm LSX breathing through there.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I measured pressure drop @ flow on the OEM,
the SLP Blackwing and a "LS1 Motorsports"
lid several years back. The two aftermarket lids
were basically unmeasurable drop (at the flow
I was able to obtain) and the OEM lid sucked
***. "A lid is a lid". Though some are prettier,
sturdier or fit better than others.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/70694-lid-o-rama-data.html
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Launching!

So I guess since your sig shows that you kept the BlackWing lid means it outperformed the other after market ones that you have tested.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
(at the flow
I was able to obtain)
This would be the only down fall of the test. What could the flow of a shop vac be measured against? A vacum could in no way reproduce the amount of airflow a modded LS-1 sucks in, or could it? In a test of this fashion, I would think that a standard cfm that the average LS-1 see's at a certain rpm would have to be obtained, then reproduced for each lid. If the LS-1 uses 600 cfm at 4500 rpm's and your vacum can only produce 100cfm, then I could see a deffinate flaw. I would go more in depth, but I think you see what I mean???
Old 10-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Launching!

True. But one thing that bothers me the most is if the regular SLP lid is better than the BlackWing why did'nt they put it on the SLP optioned F-Bodys instead. And why in the world does the BlackWing cost three times as much new from SLP than the regular SLP lids, $100 VS $300.

Holycrap that reminds me, if $$$=HP, then the BlackWing should make threetimes more than the Regular SLP lid.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I kept the Blackwing because I liked its looks &
quality better, and couldn't see a difference in
the pressure drop between the two aftermarket
ones (though the difference to stock was quite
measurable even with the setup limitations).

I've been collecting vacuum cleaner guts to build
a better flow bench; I have 6 "12Amp" Hoover /
Eureka ones now. That might do. Now, just the
small matters of building it and redoing the work...
and wiring the shed for a 50A 115V branch.

The Blackwing piece appears to be a whole different
manufacturing technology (die molded, fiber-reinforced
plastic vs vacuum- or press-formed from ABS sheet)
and I believe the production volume is way low on a
high-startup-cost process. That, and SLP is involved.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

think all that makes the blackwing weigh a lil more?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

I think you paid too much. I sold my Blackwing off my Firehawk for $90 shipped! I bought a clear MTI lid to go with all the bling and it's definatly better than the SLP lid. The transition from the top to the round airhorn is where the power is- not just the webbing. The Blackwing still has an abrupt transition. If I had to do it over again I'd sell it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Launching!

How much are those Clear MTI lids anyways? Do they fit better than the regular SLPs? I had a bad expiernce with after market lid that don't fit worh a crap and scraped up the under hood of my car. That is the main reason why I decided to go with the black wing, because they will fit perfect for sure ie "stock option".
Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The BW does weigh slightly more (I had another lid before the BW). But there's a huge diff in construction quality. The surface where it seals to the filter is nice and flat, whereas on my previous lid it was uneven. And the other types are 2 pieces glued together where the BW is one piece (molded?).
Also when I got mine you could order just the lid part + rubber neck and clamp, lots less $$ than the whole package. Of course being SLP they sent me the wrong type (no AIR fitting), and it was sort of scuffed up, but I kept it anyway.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Man you should of told them to replace it with the correct one. If I payed that much money for a new BlackWing from SLP I would of made sure that I get what I paid for and no compromises.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a SLP Blackwing lid. If anyone is interested in it PM me.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

My MTI clear lid fits really tight. I never touch it with anything but microfiber towels and it's still glossy like new. Highly recomended, especially with polished maf ends inside and out.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Yea that is what I thougt, on those clear lids it is very easy to scratch them and the scratches show up more too. It will be too much trouble to keep them clean and mint conditioned, but I bet they are cool to look at tho.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my Blackwing lid.

The fact I paid $25 shipped for it, is even better, since it was "just a factory takeoff piece" by the previous owner.

I sold my old SLP lid for $70, so i made money on the deal, with a higher quality "oem grade" part.

i did have to spend $2 on a plastic plug for the AIR hose fitting, since I have a 98, and did the !air/!egr mods.

Ryan

Quick Reply: SLP BlackWing LID