Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts of venting crank case preasure into exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk02Ls1A4
As long as the pressure inside the engine is greater than the pressure in the exhaust it will work. In like nascar and stuff they are always at full throttle so it isnt a problem, but on a street engine you might have some problems with exhaust entering your engine at lower rpms. Although the exhaust will suck on the pcv if the pressure is less inside the engine it might try to get inside.

The idea od using the AIR pump to relieve crankcase pressure sounds pretty cool.

What you could do to remedy exhaust going into the case? Experiment with a few check valves. They won't let any exhaust go into the engine, and they'll open at a given vacuum signal.

I love the idea of reworking the AIR pump, too. Could you not just plumb the inlet into the valve cover and leave it pumping out into the headers/manifolds?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Running the air pump continuously would burn them up faster tahn you would feel like replacing them.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Why not just get a LS6 valley cover with EGR fitting. It has a "filter" for oil, no real direct oil in that area, keeps emissions correct, doesn't consume oil, and keeps things simple. It is still a while before I am at this point, but probably the route I will take for my '69 Cormaro.
ATAK
Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ric
What you could do to remedy exhaust going into the case? Experiment with a few check valves. They won't let any exhaust go into the engine, and they'll open at a given vacuum signal.

I love the idea of reworking the AIR pump, too. Could you not just plumb the inlet into the valve cover and leave it pumping out into the headers/manifolds?
A PCV valve has a check ball in it.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Teching In

there are one way air valves on the fittings that go into the exhaust so even when I had mine running and stuck my hand over the tailpipes to pressurize the exhaust nothing came through the hose. I guess those air valves can go bad sometimes so maybe check them every few years to make sure they still work. should be like 1 minute to check them to make sure they are working so that is no real big deal.

I also took the pcv valve off mine and ran the hose straight to the valve cover. I didn't see any point in having 2 one way valves in the line. I think the pcv valve closes at under 3 in of vacuum so that isn't that useful for the exhaust vent setup.

Quick Reply: Thoughts of venting crank case preasure into exhaust.