Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What cat back?
GMMG
65.43%
Mufflex
34.57%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

GMMG vs Mufflex

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GMMG is not deep at all IMO. exhaust velocity is way too high going through that one little pipe, slowing it down with cats still doesnt do all that much for it.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Banned

Have you ever heard a GMMG in person? What one pipe are you talking about? The actual chambered pipe is two
Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes I have heard it in person or else I would not have said anything about how it sounds. The only way to get a deep sound out of a cat back is with larger diameter piping or restrictive mufflers...GMMG has neither of those and thats why it still sounds like a 3" catback and not some holy grail of exhausts
Old 10-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Launching!

so you either choke your car or you let it breath too much...?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

GMMG hands down!

And you won't be needing any exhaust cutouts with this sytem
Old 11-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
yes I have heard it in person or else I would not have said anything about how it sounds. The only way to get a deep sound out of a cat back is with larger diameter piping or restrictive mufflers...GMMG has neither of those and thats why it still sounds like a 3" catback and not some holy grail of exhausts

ummm...ok
Old 11-02-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
ummm...ok
So there! you should feel horrible for liking the GMMG, Cant believe you picked parts you like and not parts other people like.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RelentleZ
so you either choke your car or you let it breath too much...?
lol, its all relative to how radical your car is.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
yeah, but looks can be deceiving, aparantly the original GM ones from the 60's actually flow worse than most normal mufflers. Some thing rediculas like 175-200cfm.

The Chambered exhaust from the 60's you are reffering to no matter if it were the 302 CI Z28 or the all mighty ZL1 427 were all 2 1/4" with horrible choking bends.

I havnt heard the GMMG exhaust yet but I have never liked the sound of glass packs, I have a hard time believing a set up like this could sound good on an LS1.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nasty99WS6
So there! you should feel horrible for liking the GMMG, Cant believe you picked parts you like and not parts other people like.

WTF was i thinkin. Jeremiah the GMMG sounds nothing like a glasspack. It is a lot deeper and has no rasp/crackling like a glasspack.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZEEMAN
WTF was i thinkin. Jeremiah the GMMG sounds nothing like a glasspack. It is a lot deeper and has no rasp/crackling like a glasspack.
I wouldnt go that far, maybe a little deeper....but I agree that the chambered mufflers do a much better job of eliminating rasp and popping than bullets or glasspacks.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

My choice on Cat Backs go B&B Triflow, then GMMG.

All else is just a catback.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

well I am killing this for you guys. Right now I have LT's, mufflex ORY, GMMG and I love the sound of it now, but it's too loud for my neighbors and I can't afford to get another ticket, even if it's noise violation. I bought a used 4" mufflex with a spintech muffler, single outlet. It should come in next week so hopefully I can install it and give everyone a good opinion on both the exhaust.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Mufflex with spintech dual outlets! Don't like loud exhaust systems! Especially if the flow equally! Wish it were stainless, but no big deal!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Notime383
Mufflex with spintech dual outlets! Don't like loud exhaust systems! Especially if the flow equally! Wish it were stainless, but no big deal!
Is that what you have now? In your sig it says your changing to duals??
Old 12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've gone from stock to (added LT's & ORY here) Corsa to TSP True Duals to GMMG and like the GMMG best out of these.

I'm probably not going to change exhaust after the GMMG either. Stock wasn’t cutting it, added the LT's & ORY after the Corsa and it was ok but not what I wanted, the TSP Duals were loud and hung way to low for me (couldn’t get over speed bumps in the parking lot at work without scraping them) on my slightly lower car and the GMMG sounds good to me as far as being loud but not too loud and no worries about how low any part of the exhaust hangs under the car. I can’t say I have heard a Mufflex in person but have heard the Borla & glass packs and I personally didn’t want to go that way.

For me it’s all about what sound you want and what you can get at the time.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SebastianLopezJr
I've gone from stock to (added LT's & ORY here) Corsa to TSP True Duals to GMMG and like the GMMG best out of these.

I'm probably not going to change exhaust after the GMMG either. Stock wasn’t cutting it, added the LT's & ORY after the Corsa and it was ok but not what I wanted, the TSP Duals were loud and hung way to low for me (couldn’t get over speed bumps in the parking lot at work without scraping them) on my slightly lower car and the GMMG sounds good to me as far as being loud but not too loud and no worries about how low any part of the exhaust hangs under the car. I can’t say I have heard a Mufflex in person but have heard the Borla & glass packs and I personally didn’t want to go that way.

For me it’s all about what sound you want and what you can get at the time.
are you running heads/cam? I have ported heads with about 11.1 CR and a F13 and it's pretty loud compared to cam only (TR224/112). That's the reason I gotta quiet mine down, but it sounds sooooooo goooooood!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
are you running heads/cam? I have ported heads with about 11.1 CR and a F13 and it's pretty loud compared to cam only (TR224/112). That's the reason I gotta quiet mine down, but it sounds sooooooo goooooood!
Nope, no heads or cam, just a stalled stock block with bolt ons for now. Hoping to have heads & cam installed around spring break so will find out in a few months how that will sound. May end up being too loud for me as well. Will have to wait & see. If so I heard of some people putting a Bullet in the I-Pipe so may try that before going to another system.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got Heads/cam/LT's/catted y/GMMG. Sounds great. I dont know why people who have the ory get rid of the GMMG because its too loud. All ya have to do is throw a couple cats on and it sounds great. What do you lose, a couple rwhp, if that??
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nasty99WS6
I got Heads/cam/LT's/catted y/GMMG. Sounds great. I dont know why people who have the ory get rid of the GMMG because its too loud. All ya have to do is throw a couple cats on and it sounds great. What do you lose, a couple rwhp, if that??
I've read that some catted Y's cut back almost 10hp, depending on what your setup is, plus I already bought a used Mufflex so we'll see how it does, if it's still too loud, then I will put the GMMG back on and put some cats on and be done with it.

Quick Reply: GMMG vs Mufflex