Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which chambered exhaust?
Stainless Works
24.71%
GMMG
75.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Stainless Works 'Muscleflow' or GMMG exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Stainless Works 'Muscleflow' or GMMG exhaust?

What do you guys think.

Stainless Works Chambered exhaust
or
GMMG Chambered exhaust

Both exhaust are about the same price and both are stainless steel using chambered mufflers.

The only difference I can tell is the Stainless Works one has 3.5" tips which look really nice and has 3" tubing and 3.5" mufflers. The GMMG has smaller tips which IMO don't look as good and it uses 2 mufflers, with smaller tubing after the reverse merge.

According to Stainless Works, there system is quieter than the GMMG, but without the drone?

Comments, thoughts, opinions?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and go with the GMMG. It has a distinct sound and the premium tips look pretty good IMO. But to each its own. Go ahead and go on to ls1sounds.com and take a listen. Im not sure if stainless works has a soundclip, but GMMG does. I have had GMMG since June. I have been very happy with it. Very deep sound, quite at idle and low rpm. But when you get on it, it sounds like a your in a freakin race car. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

I think the stainlessworks looks like the GMMG but with an extra muffler in the I-pipe. If you plan on ditching the cats and going to an off-road Y it might be good to have that extra muffler.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have yet to even see a car with Stainless works exhaust, so I would go with the GMMG, plu sint the stainless works exhaust more expensive? Also GMMG doesn't really have any drone.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

I voted for the GMMG, honest, it might be because I just put it on my car,
I wouldn t say that there is no drone, with my TA 02 m6, I get 87decibel going 75 on 6th.
people who tell you there is no drone probably compare it with cut-outs, open headers or TDs, not trying to scare you but I wouldn t say that there is no drone and I havent heard one stainless steel yet
go maybe with the best deal, also keep in mind that the GMMG has great resale value if you ever sale the car or what to go TDs
anyway that s my .02
Old 10-20-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought you were going with a powerstick x-pipe????
Old 10-20-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is some drone with the GMMG and an ORY, but i've heard that with cats there is none, same if you put another muffler in the i-pipe(my plans since i have an ORY). however, the GMMG is a very sweet exhaust system. hard to beat.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

I was once in going through the same debate...these are the facts...stainless works will be a little quieter...only because of a couple of reasons...the actual chambered sections are packed with fiberglass and the system also has a "resonator" in the I pipe. if you were to cut apart a gmmg system you would see that their chambered sections have no packing and has a honeycomb looking setup inside...strictly for tone and not to reduce the noise level by any means...the setup I'm running now is a kooks/gmmg setup with cats...and I have never looked back...without headers its nice but when you add headers it really wakes it up...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

If im not mistaken, you have to fabricate your own hangers on the Stainlessworks system.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have the stainless works and think it sounds better then the GMMG, although I like that also. Both are LOUD with headers (with or without cats), and really come alive with a nice lopey cam. The above post is correct, SW uses 3 chamberred sections, GMMG uses 2, but, There is NO PACKING in either system in the chamberred sections, and they are both completely 304L stainless. Did you actually see this, or heard it from someone?

I'll leave you will a little riddle, guess who makes the GMMG system?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GMMG. Installation is a breeze. Sounds AWESOME!! I've got a lot of good comments on people who hear me coming or going with my GMMG, all on stock manifolds and cats. Chomping at the bit for some Kooks now.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by seadoo
i thought you were going with a powerstick x-pipe????
it's still a possibility, but to get all the bits, have them shipped over to me and then have it all fabbed up is going to cost quite a bit.

I've got a design done up and priced, and it's costs a 'noticable' amount more for LT's/Hi-flow CATS/X-pipe/Powerstick mufflers/Tips and fab/fitting than getting LT's/TSP catted Y/Stainless Works cat back.

I know the dual setup would be better performance wise and sound better too, but I'd have to do it all in one hit (headers the lot), where as with a cat back, I could do just that and then do the Y and Lt's later. Or sell the cat back and go duals then.

Plus in all reality, the car won't be heavily modified (well not for a while) so I don't beleive there will really be any significant power difference between the setups.

Also ground clearance is still an issue, I've grounded the car twice so far, with the stock exhaust, stock wheels/tryes and stock suspension.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Launching!

just for the record when I was deciding on an exhaust I talked to some people over at stainless works, and they told me that they use fiberglass packing....but with either exhaust you can't go wrong...both sound mean
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just get rid of the fiberglass packen by watering it down and just blowing it out with air pressure to hollow it out? just a old school thought...
Old 10-23-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

that stainlessworks system is more expensive?????? Why?
doesnt get any better then gmmg for me.
same design and almost same tone. why the price difference?
Old 10-23-2005, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

funny, my SW system didn't come with any packing..?? You can see right through the chambers, something doesn't sound right. Call Al Noes, he is the owner, and also a very knowledgible racer.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mph476
just for the record when I was deciding on an exhaust I talked to some people over at stainless works, and they told me that they use fiberglass packing....but with either exhaust you can't go wrong...both sound mean
I think you're getting confused. Stainless Works offer 2 different exhaust types.

This one:

Which 'might' be glass pack but I don't know. However it's not the system I'm talking about.

This is the one I'm talking about, and it doesn't have any glass fibre in it:
Old 10-24-2005, 03:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
that stainlessworks system is more expensive?????? Why?
doesnt get any better then gmmg for me.
same design and almost same tone. why the price difference?
I don't think it's any more expensive, well not where I've seen them for sale anyhow. Plus the tips on the Stainless system certainly look better than the GMMG, so if you plum for the option GMMG ones (which I like even less than the stock ones) the GMMG will cost the most.

Plus as stated in the original post, the GMMG uses smaller diameter tubing.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

I voted for the GMMG because I have it and haven't heard the other. The GMMG sounds awesome. It does, however, drone like crazy in my car at around 1800 RPM (give or take)...I'm running Kooks LTs,an ORY, and a large cam, but I also added a Borla XR-1 to the I-pipe. The XR-1 helped with the rasp and drone, but it's still there...it is, IMO, a small price to pay for that oh-so-sweet sound.

For Stainless Works, I will say that they have great customer service and their products are top-notch...I bought some stuff from them when I adapted the CME to my GMMG...
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I voted for the GMMG because I have it and haven't heard the other. The GMMG sounds awesome. It does, however, drone like crazy in my car at around 1800 RPM (give or take)...I'm running Kooks LTs,an ORY, and a large cam, but I also added a Borla XR-1 to the I-pipe. The XR-1 helped with the rasp and drone, but it's still there...it is, IMO, a small price to pay for that oh-so-sweet sound.

For Stainless Works, I will say that they have great customer service and their products are top-notch...I bought some stuff from them when I adapted the CME to my GMMG...
cool, well thanks for the all the responses.

If I go for a cat back I think I'll be going for the Stainless Works one, either that or duals. Just not sure if the extra cost for the duals is really going to make any difference on the road.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works 'Muscleflow' or GMMG exhaust?