Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter Longtube/ORY install done!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter Longtube/ORY install done!

I just wanted to thank good friends with more knowledge than I, and my wonderful wife for an awesome job! Thanks especially to Jermzz!

I would also share my appreciation to everyone for their contribution to my pre-project knowledge. I must say I hate the stock manifolds and cats, and the a-hole that put the passenger side O2 sensor right above/behind the cat on the passenger side...

Car will definately get noticed now! If you are thinking about Longtubes, just do it!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

congrats on the install sounds sweet dont it...after i did mine i was like Dam why didnt i do this along time ago..
Old 11-04-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it's time for a cam install. What cat-back are you running?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

You still on the factory exhaust? I'm thinking about getting Pacesetters for Xmas and leave the stock exhaust on for a while.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-maxx
Sounds like it's time for a cam install. What cat-back are you running?
Got all of that... MTI X1, PRC Duals, Comp Chromoly pushrods, LS6 oil pump, LS2 timing chain, ARP cam retainer/cam bolts, Gaskets and Crank bolt. Along with a new water pump.

We ran it today through the cutout, it is FOOKING LOUD!!

Just have to work out a homemade bump stop mod for the ORY...

EDIT: Stock CME catback system to offset the cutout...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

spend the $40 for the Mufflex one, it's worth it.

LS69TA..I'm running pacesetters & an ORY with the stock cat back, it's a 3" SLP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think all SS's came with a 3" SLP or the CME exhuast. I would assume the WS6 cars also came with 3" exhaust ?
If that's the case then 3" is 3" and I don't think there's anything to be gained by going to something else and I would stick with your plan.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
spend the $40 for the Mufflex one, it's worth it.

LS69TA..I'm running pacesetters & an ORY with the stock cat back, it's a 3" SLP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think all SS's came with a 3" SLP or the CME exhuast. I would assume the WS6 cars also came with 3" exhaust ?
If that's the case then 3" is 3" and I don't think there's anything to be gained by going to something else and I would stick with your plan.

The only problem is that I read somewhere you have to take the Y-pipe off to get the Mufflex on... That isn't going to happen, since to get the y-pipe on it eventually took a sawzall and required welding. My whole exhaust is now welded together so nothing is coming off without more cutting and welding...

Or am I wrong? Can the Mufflex bump stop clamp around the y-pipe without having to remove anything? Even if I just had it clamped I would be reluctant to remove that ORY, as it was a royal pain in the rear to get on (the ORY took the longest in the assembly)!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael
Can the Mufflex bump stop clamp around the y-pipe without having to remove anything? Even if I just had it clamped I would be reluctant to remove that ORY, as it was a royal pain in the rear to get on (the ORY took the longest in the assembly)!!!
I also would like to know
Old 11-06-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

EDIT: Stock CME catback system to offset the cutout...
Oh man I just experimented with the stock CME muffler and the cutout capped and the car is as quiet as a Cadillac...

I guess I need a muffler for the CME for at least some exhaust note with the cutout closed...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

i put my longtubes on about a week and a half after i had the car. it didnt line up with my catback so i had to cut it off and run open Y pipe for about 2 weeks. it was nice but really loud, now im just running a boral XR1 muffler. i think im going true duals with straight pipes though. car should sound nice with the mods i have.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOM 02
i put my longtubes on about a week and a half after i had the car. it didnt line up with my catback so i had to cut it off and run open Y pipe for about 2 weeks. it was nice but really loud, now im just running a boral XR1 muffler. i think im going true duals with straight pipes though. car should sound nice with the mods i have.
I bet that sounds sweet with that MagicStick!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Did you weld the Y to the I pipe? The Y to the collectors?
If all that was welded was the Y to the I pipe, you 've got some adustability left by loosening the collector /Y clamps and the 2 piece ORY clamp. A two foot pry bar works good wedged under the drivers' side Y before tightening everything up.
I thought my Y was bumping the floor board and I RTV'd a piece of heater hose to the floorboard. Turns out it was the tunnel brace. I decided to keep the brace but washer it out.
Edit: also using band clamps adds to the adjustability.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gwj
Did you weld the Y to the I pipe? The Y to the collectors?
If all that was welded was the Y to the I pipe, you 've got some adustability left by loosening the collector /Y clamps and the 2 piece ORY clamp. A two foot pry bar works good wedged under the drivers' side Y before tightening everything up.
I thought my Y was bumping the floor board and I RTV'd a piece of heater hose to the floorboard. Turns out it was the tunnel brace. I decided to keep the brace but washer it out.
Edit: also using band clamps adds to the adjustability.
All welded. Collectors to Y-pipe and y-pipe to I-pipe. All solidly welded together, no play, no dissassembly without cutting and more welding...

Oh well I will figure something out...
Old 11-07-2005, 06:55 AM
12 Second Club

It might be possible to open it enough to get it on without removing the pipe but
I can't say for sure. I remember it being made of fairly thick material so I don't know how much you can actually open it up, I slid mine on with the Y disconnected from the cat back. Maybe someone else has tried this.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Well, if the drivers' side of the Y is banging, you could get some heater hose and slide in there, split it first if you have to. Some red RTV on the floor side will hold it in place. You'll probably notice some more vibration, though.
Or poly motor mounts.......
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gwj
Well, if the drivers' side of the Y is banging, you could get some heater hose and slide in there, split it first if you have to. Some red RTV on the floor side will hold it in place. You'll probably notice some more vibration, though.
Or poly motor mounts.......
Yeah I kind of figured...
Actually I was going to try that with a large hose clamp and thread the clamp through a split tube and tighten it down around the y-pipe, or fab up my own Mufflex stop with a u-clamp and exhaust hangers.

Thanks for your insight! I may end up going with the poly motor mounts anyway...
Old 11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I hate to sound like such a newb idiot, but what the heck is a bump stop? Some detail explanation, picture, or link would be great. Sorry if its a dumb question.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
I hate to sound like such a newb idiot, but what the heck is a bump stop? Some detail explanation, picture, or link would be great. Sorry if its a dumb question.
Hey man it is cool, there is just sometimes we are not familiar with a certain thing, no big deal.

The bump stop is like an exhaust hanger made by Mufflex that actually goes around the Y-pipe (ORY in this case) and uses an exhaust hanger rubber grommet to keep the y-pipe from banging on the floorboard of the car. When th eengine torques or vibrates on the stock motor mounts the longtubes and y-pipe tend to vibrate or bang against the driver's side floor. Extreme cases can set off the knock sensor and retard timing...
Old 12-19-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just wanted to thank good friends with more knowledge than I, and my wonderful wife for an awesome job! Thanks especially to Jermzz!

I would also share my appreciation to everyone for their contribution to my pre-project knowledge. I must say I hate the stock manifolds and cats, and the a-hole that put the passenger side O2 sensor right above/behind the cat on the passenger side...

Car will definately get noticed now! If you are thinking about Longtubes, just do it!
My pleasure to help you Jack, you know working on these cars is my passion!

When are we doing the cam????

PS: damn old post, but I fond it.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
My pleasure to help you Jack, you know working on these cars is my passion!

When are we doing the cam????

PS: damn old post, but I fond it.

Time has been the deciding factor lately. With the weather and season there has been too many opportunities to work over time, so my days off have been little to none...

It will probably now be sometime after the new year...

Thanks again dude!

Quick Reply: Pacesetter Longtube/ORY install done!