Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Manifold??
LS6
85.59%
BBK
14.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

BBK vs. LS6 (Intake Manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Full-Force
after 2 pages there is nothing more than opinions being tossed back and forth, just as i figured.
Thats odd cause everything in my first post is a proven FACT!
Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Jesus people. These intakes do suffer from heat soak and it does hurt performance. Just because there is no coolant or oil running thru it doesn't mean it doesn't get hot. And Aluminum is NOT a heat barrier its the exact opposite. it is very good at taking in heat and disipating it that is why its used for heat shielding. And i'll give you one guess as to where the aluminum disipates the heat..... INTO THE AIR THAT COMES IN CONTACT WITH IT! You say it only spends a second going thru the intake and thats not enuff time to heat up huh? well by that theory radiators wouldn't work at all cause air flows thru them pretty fast too.
It has been proven that icing down your intake WILL make your car faster because the motors heat that gets transfered into the intake heats the incoming air. Now would you rather have an intake that takes in alot of heat (aluminum) ar one that doesn't take in as much heat (composite)?
And i think it is just HILARIOUS that you think the aluminum intake is just hot on the outside and not the inside. when any metal gets hot the heat spreads evenly from where it begins in this case the heads. with aluminum heads touching an aluminum intake the intake will slowely but surely reach the same temperature as the heads.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Yeah I agree. You don't have to have vast knowledge or a degree to understand the concept. my vote goes to ls6, just because fast 90 isn't up there
Old 12-10-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Good debate on theories here.
I agree with the side that says the aluminum intake is NOT more beneficial than composite. Even if it the BBK outflows the LS6 manifold, do the gains compensate for the heat generated by the aluminum?
It is proven that a cooler, more dense intake yields more power. Even the Throttle Body Mod. has been proven to add up to 5 RWHP. Free ram air, FTRA, SS & WS6 hood intakes all reduce temps giving more power, how could a cooler composite manifold not? I don’t think GM would design a composite manifold just for reduced costs. The LS series engines are pretty advanced in features and I believe the composite manifold is just one of the R&D accomplishments. Not to discredit the aluminum as it might have properties that allow it to be stronger for forced induction/N2O as well as porting for more flow but overall, I think a cooler intake yields more power given equal flow.
I’m working on modifying my LS1 to an overall cooler temp. So far, I’ve installed a 160 thermo. set the fans to 190, installed a tranny cooler, Water Wetter, TB bypass and plan on ported composite MAF ends.
If I could buy a cost effective composite TB, I would. The cooler the intake, the better.
Would like to see a dyno comparison regardless!!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

What are the best flowing intakes out there, btw it's not composite.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drew778
What are the best flowing intakes out there, btw it's not composite.
carb style intakes. but they don't flow great because they are aluminum.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

carb style intakes. but they don't flow great because they are aluminum.

You got me there

I'd still like to see the results of this intake, it's kinda like the K&N FIPK, the kit works great, better than just a lid from what I tested.

Now you add a FTRA or LS-6 MAF combo and you'll get better gains at the track from a lid, also from my testing.

I just don't see how you can bag on this product without testing it first hand, so relax trying to sell everyone on your heat soak theory

Last edited by Drew778; 12-11-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Heatsoak isn't a theory, it's a fact of life!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:16 AM
10 Second Club

Well, then hopefull the BBK intake flows well enough to make up for the heat soak, then when your at the track you can ice it down to gain that much more

I guess BBK is just going have to do some tests to show everyone

For now, I went with the FAST
Old 12-11-2005, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You got me there

I'd still like to see the results of this intake, it's kinda like the K&N FIPK, the kit works great, better than just a lid from what I tested.

Now you add a FTRA or LS-6 MAF combo and you'll get better gains at the track from a lid, also from my testing.

I just don't see how you can bag on this product without testing it first hand, so relax trying to sell everyone on your heat soak theory
Shut up ******(up top ) You got SERVED (Read below )
Jesus people. These intakes do suffer from heat soak and it does hurt performance. Just because there is no coolant or oil running thru it doesn't mean it doesn't get hot. And Aluminumk is NOT a heat barrier its the exact opposite. it is very good at taking in heat and disipating it that is why its used for heat shielding. And i'll give you one guess as to where the aluminum disipates the heat..... INTO THE AIR THAT COMES IN CONTACT WITH IT! You say it only spends a second going thru the intake and thats not enuff time to heat up huh? well by that theory radiators weouldn't work at all cause air flows thru them pretty fast too.
It has been proven that icing down your intake WILL make your car faster because the motors heat that gets transfered into the intake heats the incoming air. Now would you rather have an intake that takes in alot of heat (aluminum) ar one that doesn't take in as much heat (composite)?
And i think it is just HILARIOUS that you think the aluminum intake is just hot on the outside and not the inside. when any metal gets hot the heat spreads evenly from where it begins in this case the heads. with aluminum heads touching an aluminum intake the intake will slowely but surely reach the same temperature as the heads.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Shut up ******(up top ) You got SERVED (Read below )

Oh stop

Without testing the intake, this mean jack
Old 12-11-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

the heat of air running over the intake from a hood with "ram air" is not the issue. the issue is the aluminum intake soaking up the heat from everything underneath it. there is no way a composite intake will ever get as hot as an aluminum intake....period. i chose the ls6 over a bbk. i was seriously looking into the bbk b/c i liked the looks of it, but the fact is performance outwieghed looks to me. aluminum soaks up heat much more rapidly than most other metals making an aluminum intake that much more deprimental to horsepower. just think if the carb style intakes were made of composite material, like the ls1/6 intakes.......what kind of power would we be talking then???? i think, the gains would totally shock people.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

I still stand by my first post. Test the darn thing and see what it does.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

well, 85% vs. 15%, the LS6 is kicking the **** out of the BBK piece in this poll.

personally, between heat soak, and weight, no thanks. i doubt you'll notice the gains from the BBK compared to the LS6, after the BBK suffers heatsoak.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeffs99SS
Heat soak isn't just something you run into at the track. A hot intake on the street will give you the same drop in power. On the street, though, you don't get the chance to ice it down.
Yeah, what he said. You can't decline a stoplight run because you need a bag of ice, first.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Frey

Yeah, what he said. You can't decline a stoplight run because you need a bag of ice, first.

OMG
Old 12-12-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If ya run enough nitrous through that bbk it will cool down nicely.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

OMG

Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just thought I would share a little more. I don't want to get anyone upset or start any arguments over this topic but I thought I would post some things for comparison purposes.

1st: A few pics showing the difference in the manifolds.

2nd: I got off work early today and decided to test something.

This is a short vid immediatley after driving 10mi home. popped the hood, put in the digital thermometer and pulled out the camera.

Click here to watch 100_644459

This is a short vid of it after idleing for another 15mins with hood closed.

Click here to watch 100_6445

Finally I decided to see just how hot it would get after shuting off the engine for 15mins.

Click here to watch 100_6446

Again, I'm not trying to argue about heat soak. Does it happen? Of course. I just don't think it is enough to make that much of a difference. Especially when you take into account how much more air this manifold is capable of flowing. All you have to do is look at them side by side to see the difference. I definatley believe the claim of 15% more flow than the LS6.

Could someone else try this with a LS6 manifold for comparison?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great post, I like the side by side pics you have!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

All I have to say is this.... God bless the man for posting .mov files instead of those darn .wmv's.

That, and nice work.

Quick Reply: BBK vs. LS6 (Intake Manifold)