Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Gmmg!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Gmmg!!

After hours of listening to sound clips,I have finally decided what to get for my exhaust.

I have my pacesetter lt's and ORY the rear O2 sims and front O2 extensions in the box at my house. Now I need my catback and I have decided to go with GMMG cat back. I know that it is $700 directly from GMMG, but does anyone know a company who sells it for less?? any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Stuart
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only have one option when it comes to GMMG, and it isn't a cheap one.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

hmmm. that sucks cause I have my heart set on it and I just HAVE to have it, so I guesss I'll HAVE to buy it direct. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

you can make your own GMMG... they buy their mufflers from Stainlessworks.net the mufflers are $129 each.. you would then need to take that to a muffler shop or some one you know, to bend and weld on the elbow pipes and intermediate pipe collector..

i know 4 guys that have done it this way, only spent 400$ max and sound identical to the GMMG.. for half the cost..

this is what i will be doing
Old 12-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

if u jus installed the gmmg system, i read it doesnt come with a muffler, is that even legal??...and if i do add a muffler will it ruin gmmg awesome sound??

really considering this system
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KiLLJ0Y92Z28
you can make your own GMMG... they buy their mufflers from Stainlessworks.net the mufflers are $129 each.. you would then need to take that to a muffler shop or some one you know, to bend and weld on the elbow pipes and intermediate pipe collector..

i know 4 guys that have done it this way, only spent 400$ max and sound identical to the GMMG.. for half the cost..

this is what i will be doing

Did they buy stainless steel mandrel u bends, or just have the muffler shop crush bend mild steel? It seems like it would be almost as expensive as the real thing to have a muffler shop completely replicate it, with mandrel bends, stainless steel and all the right size piping.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

mandrel... 45$ for 180* U bend... its not as expensive as you think.. you can also buy your own mandel bent pipes online, then just pay a welder to weld it up...
Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HawaiianZ28Rider
if u jus installed the gmmg system, i read it doesnt come with a muffler, is that even legal??...and if i do add a muffler will it ruin gmmg awesome sound??

really considering this system
the dimpled 2 core tubes ARE the mufflers.. and yes if you add another muffler to it, you're going to ruin the sound... its legal the way they sell it.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or you can just buy it used in good cond
Old 12-23-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

mandrel... 45$ for 180* U bend... its not as expensive as you think.. you can also buy your own mandel bent pipes online, then just pay a welder to weld it up...

I found SW's bends at summit for $33 a piece, so you'd have $132 in bends, a Y(?$40), 1 piece of 3" pipe($55), and 2 stainless works chambers($260). Thats $487 in parts, not including tips. Add a $250 install and weld(w/out a hookup)=$737. So for $737+tax you'll probably have "rigged" looking, fake GMMG. I've seen people on here do this and save some money, but it never looks quite right. The GMMG is expensive, but I'd rather pay and do it right, than have something that just doesn't look quite right. I'd probably only do it if I was able to get the parts for super cheap, and had someone who'd put it together and weld it for free. I'd say the best option right now is to buy a used one. I wish there was a good, cheap alternative. I love the gmmg and have looked at all the options. I'm gonna keep the magnaflow until there is a better alternative, or I can justify spending alot of money on the best catback made.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 12-23-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

check the for sale section and keep an eye out for gpoup purchases
Old 12-24-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I found SW's bends at summit for $33 a piece, so you'd have $132 in bends, a Y(?$40), 1 piece of 3" pipe($55), and 2 stainless works chambers($260). Thats $487 in parts, not including tips. Add a $250 install and weld(w/out a hookup)=$737. So for $737+tax you'll probably have "rigged" looking, fake GMMG. I've seen people on here do this and save some money, but it never looks quite right. The GMMG is expensive, but I'd rather pay and do it right, than have something that just doesn't look quite right. I'd probably only do it if I was able to get the parts for super cheap, and had someone who'd put it together and weld it for free. I'd say the best option right now is to buy a used one. I wish there was a good, cheap alternative. I love the gmmg and have looked at all the options. I'm gonna keep the magnaflow until there is a better alternative, or I can justify spending alot of money on the best catback made.

"Rigged.. and Fake"... umm.. news flash.. GMMG doesnt make those mufflers, they have to buy them from somewhere right? hell they dont even put a "GMMG" stamp on it.. so if you buy the same parts they use and make it yourself.. just like they do.. whats the big deal?? its fake because some one from GMMG didnt weld it up??? pff..

250$ install??? ahahahha who are you paying to weld up tubes... Jesse James? good lord.. and there are a lot of other places that sell bends cheaper than summit, even some local exhaust shops charge less.. so dont base it on summit alone.. as i stated last time.. ive seen both in person, heard both in person, and have seen recepts for my other friends exhaust, and it was not welded "cheapy or shitty".. you just need to shop around and make sure you're getting a good deal.. it can be done. besides.. that exhaust is supposed to be tucked up underneath... who gives a damn what it looks like if 95% of the people never see it.. are you scared you wont have a "brand name" to go with it?? and im sure people you come across couldnt tell the difference in GMMG or home made.. unless they were hardcore F-body enthusiasts..

thats my opinion.. its up to you if you want to spend the cash, if you have it.. sweet.. buy it.. if not there are alternatives that will sound identical
Old 12-24-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

"Rigged.. and Fake"... umm.. news flash.. GMMG doesnt make those mufflers, they have to buy them from somewhere right? hell they dont even put a "GMMG" stamp on it.. so if you buy the same parts they use and make it yourself.. just like they do.. whats the big deal?? its fake because some one from GMMG didnt weld it up??? pff..

250$ install??? ahahahha who are you paying to weld up tubes... Jesse James? good lord.. and there are a lot of other places that sell bends cheaper than summit, even some local exhaust shops charge less.. so dont base it on summit alone.. as i stated last time.. ive seen both in person, heard both in person, and have seen recepts for my other friends exhaust, and it was not welded "cheapy or shitty".. you just need to shop around and make sure you're getting a good deal.. it can be done. besides.. that exhaust is supposed to be tucked up underneath... who gives a damn what it looks like if 95% of the people never see it.. are you scared you wont have a "brand name" to go with it?? and im sure people you come across couldnt tell the difference in GMMG or home made.. unless they were hardcore F-body enthusiasts..

thats my opinion.. its up to you if you want to spend the cash, if you have it.. sweet.. buy it.. if not there are alternatives that will sound identical
News flash....All the pics I've seen of people trying to copy GMMG have looked bad. News flash #2, duh Of course you can get u bends at other places incl. muffler shops, but they won't be stainless. Like I said in my post $250 is what most muffler shops, and I've been to SEVERAL w/ this fake gmmg concept, would charge the average joe. Most muffler shops like to make a quick buck, and don't like to take the time to run a custom setup and will charge you $$ for it. If you know someone, then it's a different story. News flash #3, you obviously don't care if your car looks crappy, so more power to you. Some people do though, even from underneath. To each his own.....
Old 12-25-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
News flash #3, you obviously don't care if your car looks crappy, so more power to you. Some people do though, even from underneath. To each his own.....

ahhahaha so just because its not from GMMG means the quality cant be good right?? you think GMMG employee's are the only ones on earth that can produce it right?? talk about ignorance..

which is why i said.. shop around... look at peoples work, anything can be replicated.. and like i said.. the last 2 times.. IVE SEEN BOTH.. and both look identical.. if i can get pictures of both.. i'll post them side by side so you can see for yourself..

gotta love the nay sayers on this board..
Old 12-25-2005, 07:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't jack his thread and turn it into a **** match. If you want GMMG most people find them used or buy direct.

Merry Christmas either way to ya Southern Silver
Old 12-26-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

ahhahaha so just because its not from GMMG means the quality cant be good right?? you think GMMG employee's are the only ones on earth that can produce it right?? talk about ignorance..

which is why i said.. shop around... look at peoples work, anything can be replicated.. and like i said.. the last 2 times.. IVE SEEN BOTH.. and both look identical.. if i can get pictures of both.. i'll post them side by side so you can see for yourself..

gotta love the nay sayers on this board..

Well, if you can make an exact replica of the gmmg for super cheap, then you might as well market your own exhaust and sell it. You have the ability to make what everyone is looking for. I've seen people spend almost as much money as a genuine gmmg costs, only to have it not look as good. Obviously YOU'VE SEEN OTHERWISE. I'm just trying to give my opinion as to what I've seen myself. If you don't agree, fine...No need to call me ingnorant, or start a news flash. I'm not talking about your mom, so you don't need to get all bent out of shape. You're obviously the expert, so post up some pics of the gmmg replicas and show us how it's done. If making a replica was easy and cheap, everyone would have one. I mean it's unanimously the best sounding exhaust short of true duals. Better yet, make me a stainless catback that looks and sounds exactly like gmmg for less than $400 and I'll be your 1st customer. I bet the guy who posted this thread would buy one also.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 12-26-2005 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would too!