Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which High output ignition is prefered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which High output ignition is prefered?

Looking to get a high output ignition for my '00 WS6. I am replacing the stock spark plugs with Brisk plugs and switching my wires to Magnacor 3.5mm wires. Which higoutput ignition is best to work in conjunction with these?
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

MSD just came out with a set of coils (~$60 each) but why are you looking to switch to aftermarket ?

There are 1000+ HP cars out there with the stock coils... They're fine for nearly any application unless you just want to spend the money...

Plugs and wires are a good idea though...

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Any increase is gas milage with just plugs/wires?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Teching In

yeah there is supposed to be a decent increase in gas mileage with just the plugs and wires, but I was looking at magnacor's site and they said that to run with their wires, they recommend a high output ignition. Thats why I was looking for one. I just want to get the most performance out all the parts that I am buying. Thanks for any/all feedback.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

I think LS1s would clasify as HO ignitions. Instead of a regular old SBC which has one coil that has to fire every single time a cylinder does, LS1s have 8 individual coils (called a coil on plug system) so that each coil has to fire only once per crank revolution (disregarding the spark waste system), instead of eight times. This means it has much more time to charge inbetween, and hence the spark is much stronger. This is especially true at high RPMS.

If you really really want to, and you have the money, MSD's coil packs are about the best you can do in terms of upgrading over stock. Some people say they are a miracle and make their car idle smoother, pull harder, and get better fuel econonomy. Some just think they're only good for cosmetic reasons.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meat4Muscle
yeah there is supposed to be a decent increase in gas mileage with just the plugs and wires, but I was looking at magnacor's site and they said that to run with their wires, they recommend a high output ignition. Thats why I was looking for one. I just want to get the most performance out all the parts that I am buying. Thanks for any/all feedback.

The stock LS1's have excellent "high output" ignitions. About the only thing you'll gain with an aftermarket ignition, is a whole in your pocket. Some cars may benefit with an aftermarket ignition, but the LS1 comes with one from the factory.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Alright, that is what I needed to hear!! Thank you guys so much, I guess I will stick with solely the plugs and wires. What type of HP gains and/or other results can I expect from these upgrades by the way? These are relatively minor adjustments so Im assuming that a lot of people on here have done this already - their input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

hp increase from plugs and wires....well it all depends on how bad the ones you are taking off..but I would say only a few.