Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal purple almost 9HP gain on LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really like all these people have their own show or better yet thier own shop, do you guys actually change your oil or take it to a shop and put in what someone else says is ""good" oil. I do have access to oil labs and found RP to be better than GC, also I have analized my filter because of metal chips on my plug after using GC. Now HPTV are not the only people to run test like this, other publications have and found the same results. And if you dont like RP, does it make you feel better to slam them, And BTW RP is a sponser here, and yes I do run the stuff, it is better. Now if you really want to see gains try the racing line of oils there is a difference. Its too bad that it does cost a little more, but its cheaper to run a good quality oil than a new engine.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Amen...I agree. It's not cool to bash a sponsor because you dont like a tv show that might have a made a claim that was true or false. Royal Purple makes quality fluids IMO that might or might not crank out lots of horsies at the wheels but does that really subject them to all this **** talking? Just a question!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i tore apart an engine that had been running R.P. synth and the engine was SO clean and not to mention how smooth it runs...sure you may not get 9rwhp...but dont you think your baby will thank you down the road? its only like a buck more a qt...WAY worth it in my eyes...as soon as im done breaking in my baby im switching over....but to each their own i guess....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

My HP is always the same when I use Olive Oil....Go figure....
Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was probably really, really, really, really old oil in there before. In that case, they could have swapped the oil with Crisco and gained about 9 HP
Old 01-10-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reznor
one time i downloaded a file at like 3457948kb/s
Actually, I have Fibre at 30MB/sec... Pick a better hyperbole...
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
Actually, I have Fibre at 30MB/sec... Pick a better hyperbole...
Old 01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I just spoke to RP...they said they installed an air lid, ported TB, and an exhaust cut-out in the car between dyno runs, they just forgot to mention it. j/k

Its probably better than regular oil, but really...how much better can it possibly be. I think this whole oil thing is kind of bogus. Keep the oil clean and change it regularly and normal non-synthetic oil will be just fine.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who is bashing a sponsor? i was making fun of the 2 guys on the TV show
Old 01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

I aint no expert but this is just what I have noticed. When ever I have used Mobil1 5w30 at exactly 3k miles my oil change light comes on. Which I change my oil regularly at 3k miles. Regardless if people say I can go 6-7k or whatever. When I swapped to RP. After my 3rd time changeing with RP I decided to see how far I could go with it. 5200miles before my oil change light came on. Now, it aint rocket science that I did. But that was my little experiment. I used RP 10w30 & K&N filter. Yea, its $46 a oil change. But to me its worth it. Plus, my lifters were alot more noiser with Mobil1 vs. RP.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

I aint no expert but this is just what I have noticed. When ever I have used Mobil1 5w30 at exactly 3k miles my oil change light comes on. Which I change my oil regularly at 3k miles. Regardless if people say I can go 6-7k or whatever. When I swapped to RP. After my 3rd time changeing with RP I decided to see how far I could go with it. 5200miles before my oil change light came on. Now, it aint rocket science that I did. But that was my little experiment. I used RP 10w30 & K&N filter. Yea, its $46 a oil change. But to me its worth it. Plus, my lifters were alot more noiser with Mobil1 vs. RP.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm one of the few to say that they likely did gain some power going to synthetic royal purple...maybe half of what they claimed, but I would put money on them getting 1% or better power gains along with slightly better mileage. I am more of a fan of amsoil than royal purple, but they are both very good and I have royal purple in my t/a as we speak.

I have ran synthetic in my s/c tacoma since it was broken in in 97 and it still has great compression at over 200k miles. (keep in mind that this truck has been s/c about 90% of it's life and has approx 40-50% more power than stock) I am very familiar with my truck since it was new and I can honestly tell a difference in power if I don't use amsoil in it...like if I run mobil 1 or another brand.

I'm sure that most of you will call BS on me, but I am one who will always run a good synthetic in my rigs.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

also when this test was being done, they changed all the fluids, so it would cost around 140. dollors to do engine to rear to get this extra power. I am sorry if I wrote anything out of line, but all of you are right on what you feel is better oil, change often and run a quality filter and not get caught up in hp right now gimicks. I do like RP, but hear a lot of great reviews on all of amsiol's products. I have run thier filter and have noticed my engine responded better on cold mornings(less noise) right now I at 106,894 miles on a all stock engine and she runs very strong, but in my old 79Z28 I use valvaline dino oil. But I know my old leaky small block dont need the synthetic stuff. Anyway let the fools be departed from thier money, and hopefully others will learn from our costly newb mistakes that some have made.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelord

Ski
I dont believe that our engines have oil analizers built in them bud, they count rpms and go by how it was driven on how many rpms it has turned per mile. like a car with less gear in the rear end could go further then a 4.56 geared hot rod.
Or a young kid riding through town in 3rd compared to an old grandpa in 6th will have to reset the light more often.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I had talked to a technician from RP at the texas heatwave both and said if I was to run a while between changes to change the filter every 3000 miles at least. And some GM engines/ vehicles do have a way to monitor oil life to set off the oil change light. A hotrodder,tuner,weekend track warrior,etc.. all have the resposibility to maintaine thier pride and joy to the best of her/his ability. We all dont have the rsourses for oil analsys every time we change oil. sometimes our walet wont let us run the good stuff. But all these quetions have been asked over and over many times. Research is the key, but, unless you know the right question, we may get useless info. And RP,AmsOil,GC0-30, is limited to a few stores/dealers. Do maintaine your car to the conditions it has to go threw. I wish I knew of this site before I started modded my car, but am happy with the results I have.With gas prices spiking, and the EPA and fed government punishing us for or love of cars. Keep any and all questions comming. There will be some grumpy person always willing to give good advice.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
Actually, I have Fibre at 30MB/sec...
I always heard that one needs to have a lot of that in their diet.

Sounds like you "go" really fast with it...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:37 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Rebelord

Ski
I don't think there's a test lab in your oil pan! They oil quality has nothing to do with your oil light! It goes off of mileage, idle time, speed and load. It doesn't sample the oil for you.
I think Royal Purple is good oil, but your not going to see 9hp from a oil change.

Quick Reply: Royal purple almost 9HP gain on LS1