Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Custom True Duals OTA (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Custom True Duals OTA (pics inside)

Just thought I'd share some pics and info on my true duals so you guys can get some ideas. Setup includes Pacesetter long tube headers, 2.5" true duals to X pipe over the axle and glass packs with SLP loud mouth tips. I had these custom made by a shop here in Cincy (SN on here is SRP) out of mandrel pre-bent tubing from summit and some old glass packs. This is in no way an add for the shop so mods please don't delete.
Since the pics were taken everything has been coated, I've added cut-outs after the X to get it a bit louder when I want, and put the stock upper PHB back in since the BMR piece wasn't needed. Any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy the pics and vids.

Cut-outs closed, pass by and idle
http://nkyfba.homeip.net/nkyfba/atta...achmentid=3898

Cut-outs open, burn out
http://nkyfba.homeip.net/nkyfba/atta...achmentid=4144
Old 01-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Launching!

How are your clearances? That last pic looks like it hangs kind of low.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by weestro
Looks similar doesnt it, Peter...thats pretty much the route we are going with yours, but umm...you paid a shop for those welds?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks good
Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty stealthy at idle. In the first vid, you snuck up on the camera towards the end. Hehehe.
TD's out the back kick ***.
Sounds Nice! I agree on the welds though- they look a little grizzly.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by weestro
That pic was taken while the car was on a 4 post lift up in the air but the ground clearance is great even considering my car is lowered. The only time I've scraped anything was on an old gravel road.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

There's no problem with the exhaust running into each other at the X pipe? Wouldn't it be better if they went all the way back in their own pipes? Its not really dual exhaust is it????

Just wondering if that matters flow-wise.

Nice looking job though, I'd like to get that done on mine either way.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quickin
There's no problem with the exhaust running into each other at the X pipe? Wouldn't it be better if they went all the way back in their own pipes? Its not really dual exhaust is it????

Just wondering if that matters flow-wise.

Nice looking job though, I'd like to get that done on mine either way.

An X helps scavenge...Read up on them dude.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes indeed, X is the way to go for Scavenging. Look under a NASCAR vehicle and you'll see one there. Even a well made Y-merge will scavenge well.

Straight pipes sound like *** on our cars.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much did that set-up cost you total? Im still planning my entire setup for when I get my T/A. Ive been stuck on GMMG a while. It would be between that and true duals. I like the sound of TDs but am worried that it will be too loud to daily drive. I ve listened to them on ls1sounds and theyre nice, but its alot different in person I assume. I havent found anyone in my area with TDs to listen to. Hows interior drone, raspiness, etc.?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that it looks well put together and really doesn't hang down badly...only one thing missing...I want to see how it looks from the back of the car.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car sounds mean and looks like a pretty good exhaust.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
How much did that setup cost you total? Im still planning my entire setup for when I get my T/A. Ive been stuck on GMMG a while. It would be between that and true duals. I like the sound of TDs but am worried that it will be too loud to daily drive. I ve listened to them on ls1sounds and theyre nice, but its alot different in person I assume. I havent found anyone in my area with TDs to listen to. Hows interior drone, raspiness, etc.?
The whole exhaust out the door cost about a grand ($390-headers, $200-pipes, $450-labor). If it sounds like a lot keep in mind what a custom Y pipe and a good cat-back will cost you.
As far as sound, My previous set up was Mac mids/ Ypipe and a loud mouth which was fun at times but quite unbearable most of the time. You'll understand when I tell you that this is pretty quiet compared to before. No interior noise (accept when the cut-outs are open which still isn't bad) and the rasp from before is gone. The best part about it is that I don't have to tip toe around the local police in 5th and 6th gear like I used to.

Originally Posted by v8hunter
I think that it looks well put together and really doesn't hang down badly...only one thing missing...I want to see how it looks from the back of the car.
You are in luck. I snapped a few pics today since it was really nice out. Here ya go.

closer under the back

from the under the passenger side
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Is the "X" pipe better than using this: I was gonna use the 3" inlet, 4" outlet type.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=438&pcid=54
Old 01-12-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Wino, can you loan me some of that money you got?

Dude, you just destroyed a set of tires with that burnout. Car was hopping like a ****, I ssume from changing gears. good stuff
Old 01-13-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

You mention the cutouts but I didn't see them in the first shots. Did you add them later. I see a hint of them in the second post/set of pics. Can you get a close up of them?

How are they right after the X? Feel you lose any low end like when they are right after the headers?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:56 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

THANK YOU.
I've been hoping to hear an LS1 on dual glasspacks for sometime, now. I'll definitely be doing the same setup with ours.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
How much did that set-up cost you total? Im still planning my entire setup for when I get my T/A. Ive been stuck on GMMG a while. It would be between that and true duals. I like the sound of TDs but am worried that it will be too loud to daily drive. I ve listened to them on ls1sounds and theyre nice, but its alot different in person I assume. I havent found anyone in my area with TDs to listen to. Hows interior drone, raspiness, etc.?
well from what ive found, duals really aren't that much louder on the inside than a lot of cars with aftermarket exhaust of any kind. More important to interior noise is where the exhaust exits. Mine dump beneath the car, and it is louder than other setups, but its a sound i love to death! Also, at cruising it is very bearable, yet still noticeable. I can talk at a normal volume to passengers and dont have to crank the volume on the radio at all. in city driving you will encounter drone around 1600 - 1900 rpm under acceleration that is louder than any crusing. But it sounds good and you will find yourself enjoying it! I dont regret mine!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
Is the "X" pipe better than using this: I was gonna use the 3" inlet, 4" outlet type.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...id=438&pcid=54
I have no #'s to prove otherwise but I've always heard good things about that flowmaster Y. sorry

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Hey Wino, can you loan me some of that money you got?

Dude, you just destroyed a set of tires with that burnout. Car was hopping like a ****, I ssume from changing gears. good stuff
I'll loan ya some $ as soon as I get a new job. Ohio is paying me at the moment.
Those tires were a 2 yr. old set of BFG DRs that needed finished off I had to show some people up anyway. And yes, that was 1-2-3-4 gears. Hopping? I didn't notice.

Originally Posted by BLASTER
You mention the cutouts but I didn't see them in the first shots. Did you add them later. I see a hint of them in the second post/set of pics. Can you get a close up of them?

How are they right after the X? Feel you lose any low end like when they are right after the headers?
The cut-outs were added later and have been a blessing and a curse. We mounted them right after the X which was great for some more volume when I want it but they took away some valuable clearance. Car still feels like it has way more low end with them open than with my previous set-up. I'll get some more ground pics.

Originally Posted by Ric
THANK YOU.
I've been hoping to hear an LS1 on dual glasspacks for sometime, now. I'll definitely be doing the same setup with ours.
You're welcome. All I can say is we were all skeptical on how the GPs would sound but they turned out great. I'm really curious to hear what a 3" system w/ glass packs will sound like.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it won't really be a 3" system. I just remember seeing a thread that compared 2.5" mufflers across the board, and glasspacks & chambered mufflers didn't fair well at all. Thus, my reasoning behind going 3" glasspacks. I'll be hacking a couple of OEM catbacks to make my own 2.75" duals with an H-pipe that has a fatter equalizer than just a pipe... I imagine it to perform between an H and an X.