Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Muffler on a TSP TD X-Pipe?
Dynomax Bullets
31.98%
Moroso Spiral Flows
22.09%
Sweet Thunder
45.93%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Sweet Thunder vs Moroso Spiral vs Dynomax

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ST and would never go with any other muffler. I heard several cars with bullets and liked them, but not near as much as the ST. It is very deep and throaty sounding. When it was dumped, it was very loud, but like mentioned above, it has a very distinct sound and tone. Cannot be matched by anything. Now that I have them run out the back, I like them even more. Sounds similar to Hooker at normal driving, but much louder. At WOT, hold on and grin away. It is unbeleivable. No rasp and no drone whatsoever. I have flanges behind the mufflers so I can run dumped if I want to. You really can't go wrong with ST's, however they all sound good.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is all I have to say. http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...224-114cam.wmv This car belonged to Z28Venom, one of the members here on ls1tech. It is by far the best sounding M6 LS1 car that I've ever heard.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
This is all I have to say. http://www.ls1sounds.com/true_duals/...224-114cam.wmv This car belonged to Z28Venom, one of the members here on ls1tech. It is by far the best sounding M6 LS1 car that I've ever heard.
wow. damn nice sounding car. damn loud too.. I really can't decide.. are dynomax's quieter?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i went with the flo pro twisters and I think they sound great. I was thinking of going with the ST but I was worried about flow because of them being smaller on the inside.

^That is a great sounding car, but he's got h/c so it wont sound quite that way, and it definetly won't be that loud.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 10thAnivHawk
well i went with the flo pro twisters and I think they sound great. I was thinking of going with the ST but I was worried about flow because of them being smaller on the inside.

^That is a great sounding car, but he's got h/c so it wont sound quite that way, and it definetly won't be that loud.

What size re your twisters? I think I'm leaning toward the dynomax's, but you moroso owners have given good feedback as well. I'm goin max hp here.. if st is 2.5 vs 3" for others..
Old 01-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Launching!

I think I'm going to run a TSP Rumbler with the Sweet Thunder in the I section. I've been thinkin about that setup for a while and its awesome to finally hear it! What will be the loudest though??? In the vids posted in here, it seems like the ST is louder than the Dynomax to me.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Trans
I think I'm going to run a TSP Rumbler with the Sweet Thunder in the I section. I've been thinkin about that setup for a while and its awesome to finally hear it! What will be the loudest though??? In the vids posted in here, it seems like the ST is louder than the Dynomax to me.

Yea, there are a lot of sound clips at ls1sounds.com and they've been helpful in my decision making process, and since the ST is 2.5" and the others 3", I'm most likely going dynomax or moroso, most likely dynomax since ls1sounds has so many clips with them.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Yea, I hear you on the 3" better flow of the Dynomax......but I dont know, if you think about it, they are just 2.5" baffles on the ST. Its not like the whole thing is 2.5". But none the less, it does effect the flow. Judging by Silver02TA's post, I think the ST sounds louder and a lot more aggressive in those clips. So they've both got their pros and cons, just like anything else.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by poloz28
what inch ST are we talking? there are 3? i have the 24" on my lt1 blazer, it sounds great
Question about that:

What effect does the length have on the sound?

I would assume the longer it is, the more muffling it does, thus quieter?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Ive got a pair of dynomax/thrush glasspacks, which are made just like a bullet but are about twice the length of a standard bullet. If I could have anything I want I'd definetly go with the Sweet Thunder. Heard them on a C4 lt1 vette, definetly one of the best sounding mufflers out there.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Why not use a stainless works or powerstick chambered muffler? They make them in 3" i.d. don't they? Seems like that would solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Hmmm, that is a good point! who knows if it will sound as good as the ST though??? ...and I mean c'mon now, we're talking maybe 1 to 4 HP here guys. Its like the GMMG, its not the most free flowing exhaust and its expensive. People still buy it because it sounds good. JMO though.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Why not use a stainless works or powerstick chambered muffler? They make them in 3" i.d. don't they? Seems like that would solve the problem.
not a bad idea... i'll check out SW's website. do they make true dual x?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Dynomax bullets are definitely louder than ST. This is from personal experience. It's not a huge volume difference, but enough. As far as sound difference though, two completely different sounds. Like I've said, bullets sound good, but ST sounds GREAT!! I am not biased, but after hearing them both......My mind was made up for me. As for flow, it can't be that much less with the ST. I picked up huge gains when the duals went on. Is a couple horse worth less aggressive sounding exhaust???? Not in my book. But this is all a personal preference. You'll be happy with bullets. You'll be thrilled with ST!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I'm switching from my 2.5" true duals with a catless H and dynomax mufflers for texas-speed 3" true dual setup with the sweet thunders. I just like how they sound, I'm not worried about a few HP.

I've been waiting two weeks on my exhaust to show up, hopefully it arrives soon I'll make some vids
Old 01-15-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00slpSS
I'm switching from my 2.5" true duals with a catless H and dynomax mufflers for texas-speed 3" true dual setup with the sweet thunders. I just like how they sound, I'm not worried about a few HP.

I've been waiting two weeks on my exhaust to show up, hopefully it arrives soon I'll make some vids

sweet post em' up here if when you do.

The poll is also showing a lot of ST fans. I wonder how much gain one over the other? ST's definately sound mean.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00slpSS

that sucks i just ordered mine too. did u do the ups ground. the 2 day air was like freakin 250 bucks. guess i'll just waite a little longer. didn't think it would be two weeks though.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wmcrn
that sucks i just ordered mine too. did u do the ups ground. the 2 day air was like freakin 250 bucks. guess i'll just waite a little longer. didn't think it would be two weeks though.

when I finally got my tracking # they didn't mail it out till 5 days after they said they did. It took 6 days to get to my house (FL) from tx.

I got a couple crappy pics (taken from vid camera) Needless to say I'm very happy with it and can't wait till it goes on the car. And as far as flow restriction, I can see how they say it goes to 2.5" inside the muffler as I took a picture of it, but I can't see it making a noticeable difference as you can see right through it.

whole thing

x pipe

inside of muffler
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how would these mufflers compare to !muffler. im wanted to put a muffler on my !muffler setup and these mufflers weremy top choices, but didn't know how they'd compare to the sound of whati have now. ive got stock manis, cats, ypipe with no muffler.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet Thunder all the way!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder vs Moroso Spiral vs Dynomax