Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loud are sweet thunders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How loud are sweet thunders?

I'm getting sick of how my catback sounds under 3K, and I wouldn't mind picking up 10rwhp, but my car is a daily, so I can't have anything too obnoxios. I'm thinking about getting the TSP true duals with the sweet thunders, but I'm worried about how loud they are. How loud are they compared to a hooker catback inside the car and outside the car? My friend has true duals with 4x9 magnaflows, but I hate how it sounds, its just buzzy as hell...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way louder than Hooker. They are definitely on the loud side when it comes to exhaust. But it is worth it in my opinion. If you run a dumped setup, it gets old after awhile. It is extremely loud in the car and makes things rattle like crazy. Although you'll probably never hear a better sounding car. But if you run them out the back, it is much better. Very tame inside the car, but it will shock you if you hear it from behind. I forgot how loud it was after getting the duals out the back. My buddy drove it the other day for me and I couldn't believe how loud and good it sounded. So if you don't want loud, stay away from the ST. But if you want the best sounding LS1 (this is subject to debate ) then these are your mufflers. Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truthfully, I don't think I'd put them on a dumped setup for a daily driver. Yes, it sounds good, but it will rattle stuff apart and just be far too loud before long.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Launching!

You people...

I have pacesetter's and TSP duals w/ Sweet Thunder's...

They dont rattle anything in my WS6...

They are loud, but after the engine warms up they quiet down a bit...

When your just cruising along giving it just enough gas to keep it going, it's hardly much louder than stock...(But then, I kinda forget how quiet stock is... )

But if your giving more than that it really lets your know they are there...

Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ice Knight
You people...

When your just cruising along giving it just enough gas to keep it going, it's hardly much louder than stock...(But then, I kinda forget how quiet stock is... )

Yup, us people.

Seriously, we're just trying to tell him what it really sounds like. I've heard it in person and in a car and it is by NO means "hardly much louder than stock".
Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I had a set that dumped under my Z and I ended up taking them off. They really were loud. I went with 24" Magnaflows. I think the car is a little faster with them and much quieter.

Dont get me wrong, I really like the sound of the Sweet Thunders and I will put them on the car when I can run the exhaust out the back.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaleMX
I had a set that dumped under my Z and I ended up taking them off. They really were loud. I went with 24" Magnaflows. I think the car is faster with them and much quieter.
Do you have a link for the magnaflows?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I got them on Ebay. They have stainless packing and are really a well built straight through muffler.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaleMX
I got them on Ebay. They have stainless packing and are really a well built straight through muffler.

How do they sound and hows the ground clearance on those? And are they still dumped under the car?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you dont want to be too loud then get the spiral flows with the TSP system. They sound way better than the sweet thunders and dynomax bullets.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Full-Force
If you dont want to be too loud then get the spiral flows with the TSP system. They sound way better than the sweet thunders and dynomax bullets.
How loud are they compared to a catback?
I'm thinking about doing true duals with the summit x-pipe and hooker mufflers, but I'm not sure how the ground clearance would be, the mufflers are 4.75" thick.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

The spiral flows are very tame. Hooker mufflers are gonna cause major ground clearance problems.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ice Knight
You people...

Way louder than stock. My neighbors complained when I started the car in the morning. Interior rattles like crazy.....until I ran them out the back. Best sounding exhaust I have yet to hear. I heard a LOT of exhausts before I decided on this. After hearing ST's I was sold. When dumped, normal driving is LOUD, idle is LOUD, WOT is UNREAL. It is all personal preference, but try to find someone near by that has them. They'll sell themselves .
Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

If they sound anything like Flo-Pro Twisters, I have to disagree. I had the Twisters on my '00 SS. The Sweet Thunders are much better sounding. Much deeper, much more muscle-car sounding, louder and crisper. But then again, exhaust is always subject to personal preference. Not trying to start a battle with you because the Twisters sounded real good. But not in the same league with the ST.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

If you like that kinda harsh sound. The spiral flows refine the exhaust note. The sweet thunders are rough.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
If they sound anything like Flo-Pro Twisters, I have to disagree. I had the Twisters on my '00 SS. The Sweet Thunders are much better sounding. Much deeper, much more muscle-car sounding, louder and crisper. But then again, exhaust is always subject to personal preference. Not trying to start a battle with you because the Twisters sounded real good. But not in the same league with the ST.
I agree.. I got rid of my twisters, because they had more of a baffled sound when driving around, at idle it sounded ok... Switched to sweet thunders & they do sound better while driving, but still not the sound I'm looking for... On that note, my Flowmaster 1 chambers are do in tomarrow & will be installed Friday morning.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MM98
I agree.. I got rid of my twisters, because they had more of a baffled sound when driving around, at idle it sounded ok... Switched to sweet thunders & they do sound better while driving, but still not the sound I'm looking for... On that note, my Flowmaster 1 chambers are do in tomarrow & will be installed Friday morning.
How loud are the twisters for city driving and highway cruising?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

If you like that kinda harsh sound. The spiral flows refine the exhaust note. The sweet thunders are rough.
I guess you could say that.....but rough is a little harsh . I think it sounds very barky and crisp. Kind of like "Look out for this hot rod". Even though I don't have near enough horsepower for the sound. All in all, each muffler offers a unique sound and you just have to determine which one you like. This one fit my needs. I wish I had a bunch of mufflers with flanges so I could swap them out and be different every day. But I have to say that the ST's would get the most time in there. But I agree that the Twisters had a more refined tone to them. Just not aggressive enough for me. So you're right on that count. And that's the beauty of these cars. So many choices and they're all right!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The Magnaflows have a real deep mellow sound to them, not sharp like the Sweet Thunders. I have them dumped under the car and it's bearable. My Z is a Datsun so I can't compare the Ground clearance for you. If it wasn't raining I'd record them for you. Maybe tomorrow night.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

Right now I have a full LM? I like the sound mine has, I hate to describe it this way, but out of the bullets, st's and spirals, which one would osund closest to my LM, or which onbe would sound closest to what like a mustang sounds like???