Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I do Polyurethane Engine Mounts?
YES
91.84%
NO
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats not too bad 17 to 1 so far.. lol.. Thanks again everyone for the input!
Old 02-12-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used them on my turbocharge ford probe, night and day difference with the transversly mounted v6, and never had any vibrations. I'm now going to install them in my LS1.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I was thinking about getting the poly motor mounts, and possibly trans, not sure about that one tho. Can't get much more vibration than I have now with the 408 and big cam. Hand on shifter = free massage.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
wow, I guess I'm too picky. I had the poly motor and tranny...did the mod to the tranny mount and it was WAY too much for me. I have all bolt ons, stage 1+ LS6 heads, 228R cam and spec stage 3 clutch it's also my DD. I went back to the stock mounts and put hangers on my Kooks catted Y pipe, I'd never do poly again.
It was your tranny mount causing the vibrations you didn't like, you could have kept the damn poly motor mounts and went back to stock tranny mount.

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I was thinking about getting the poly motor mounts, and possibly trans, not sure about that one tho. Can't get much more vibration than I have now with the 408 and big cam. Hand on shifter = free massage.
Put the motor mounts on, you won't have any problems from them, and your car will love them. The tranny mount will be noticable at first, but drive with it for a week or so and you will not notice it anymore, if you do, swap back to the stocker.

I enjoy being able to dead hook 1st gear and not have the shifter look like a damn pogo stick. Wheel hop seemed to have SERIOUSLY decreased after the poly trans mount too. Now they just spin, instead of hop and spin
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll give you my opinion on them. The stock rubber ones are nortorious for cracking and becoming weak.The poly urethane mounts are much better no rubbing issues against steering colum.You may feel a little vibration in the driver seat but to me that is alright and is no big deal
Old 02-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Launching!

just ordered my poly motor mounts since the car was apart
Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Do it. My y-pipe does not hit anymore, the motor sits still, the shifter does not rock over under load. The car will vibrate more if you got a cam, but I do not notice it now I am so used to it. Will be a pain to install though, took me a while to get both of them in my first time.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would assume that having poly motor mounts on a big cammed car would reduce engine vibation and transfer the vibration to the car? that way when you open the door it bounces up and down like 3"

i am thinking about poly motor mounts when i do my exhaust here soon.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

Where did you guys get your poly motor and trans mounts? I have check couple sponsers websites with no luck
Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
Where did you guys get your poly motor and trans mounts? I have check couple sponsers websites with no luck
Thunder Racing sells them.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Launching!

I got the Poly tranny mount. Do you think that will stop my shifter from rocking when leaving from a stand still in first? That annoys me more than anything in the world!!
I think im gonna have to get the poly motor mounts too.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Thunder Racing sells them.

Thanks. Looks like I will be ordering some soon.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Launching!

I installed a poly tranny mount a couple of years ago and immediately removed it 1 week later (went to a new stocker) because the vibration was terrible.

For this reason I was resisting poly motor mounts but I found that my engine was moving enough to start denting my LT's on the K-member even though they had a good 1/2" clearance at rest. I only got the driver's side in so far. It took most of a day to install but I am very glad I did it. The stockers were completely shot - you could slide the rubber inside the clamshell about an inch.

I have not noticed any real increase in vibration so I will be putting the passenger side in the week after next. I got mine Prothane's from Thunder.

Steve
Old 02-14-2006, 12:55 AM
That's what she said...

Thunder, like stated earlier, is where i picked up my motor mounts from. Auto Zone usually stocks the poly trans mounts, which is what i have on my car. The kit comes with 3 bolts (i think), the mount, and a spacer plate. The research i did when the search was working told me NOT to use the spacer plate with f-cars.

Originally Posted by 6spd
I got the Poly tranny mount. Do you think that will stop my shifter from rocking when leaving from a stand still in first? That annoys me more than anything in the world!!
I think im gonna have to get the poly motor mounts too.
The poly trans mount will not let the tranny rotate if you use it with stock motor mounts. When the motor torques over, it will put a stress on the case of the trans. People have had their cases crack because of this, which is why some people do not recommend stock motor mounts with poly trans mounts. I have not actually seen pictures of a case cracking because of this, but it is makes sense to me.

The poly trans mount will keep your TQ arm from raising your tranny (and shifter) up and down, the poly motor mounts will help keep it from rocking side to side.

Oh and BTW - I have an OEM rubber tranny mount in the for sale section if anyone has a broken one and wants an OEM one. They run over $70 from GM. :/shameless plug:
Old 02-14-2006, 12:59 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by s346k
i would assume that having poly motor mounts on a big cammed car would reduce engine vibation and transfer the vibration to the car? that way when you open the door it bounces up and down like 3"

i am thinking about poly motor mounts when i do my exhaust here soon.
I read countless threads before i did mine with people claiming LESS vibration from poly motor mounts, even on stock cars. When my car was stock, the motor was rock steady whily running. It has a little bit of movement now because I have a big cam. The car itself has a slightly noticable movement to it if you're looking at the car and a still place as a reference point, but this would happen with any mounts........ and i kinda like it.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Summit Racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...3&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Links for the lazy ones
Old 02-14-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=TheBlurLS1] It was your tranny mount causing the vibrations you didn't like, you could have kept the damn poly motor mounts and went back to stock tranny mount. [QUOTE]

Ur wrong, I took my tranny mount out first...easiest to take out. It still shook too much for me and I only have a 228R cam.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, I want my car to shake a little bit. That gives it the muscular V8 feeling. I hope my poly motor mounts transfer more vibration to the seat of the car. Right now it's just my engine that jumps all around. My motor mounts are cracked and not doing much of anything.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Launching!

my shifter is shaking from side to side. I wonder if my motor mounts are takin a poop on me.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
Ur wrong, I took my tranny mount out first...easiest to take out. It still shook too much for me and I only have a 228R cam.
Thats what I'd hoped you tried first. Wierd though, I've never heard of anyone taking poly mounts out besides you. Are you sure all your cylinders were firing?

"Too much for me" is the name of the game with building your own car. Some people have no qualms about their dumped duals, while others get tired of them and have them run out the back (ie - me). Some people would have no bigger than a 224 cam in a 346, while other have no less than a t-rex.

The point is that the benifits of poly motor mounts to 99.99% of people outweigh the *possibility* that you could feel some vibrations (that you would immediatly get used to).

Quick Reply: Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)