Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I do Polyurethane Engine Mounts?
YES
91.84%
NO
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed Prothane motor and trans mounts. I was installing headers, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do it. I consider myself to be a pretty decent shadetree mechanic, but the motor mounts were a bitch. I did it without removing the A/C compressor or alternator. I just had the exhaust out and removed the starter.

I have not yet put the car back on the ground because I am still installing other **** right now. The mounts look seriously badass and heavy-duty. I too will report on the performance of the poly mounts.

Get your mounts from Thunder Racing! I ordered them on a Monday and they were sitting on my doorstep the very next day on Tuesday. It was like $80 for all 3 mounts shipped from door to door. Best of luck!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I voted "No" 'cause you should install solid mounts. You've got an exaust already, so any added noise will be barely noticable over your muffler, or lack there of.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
I voted "No" 'cause you should install solid mounts. You've got an exaust already, so any added noise will be barely noticable over your muffler, or lack there of.
Have you ever ran poly mounts on these cars? They have all the benefits of solid mounts, and none of the side effects.

Ever tried to pull a tranny with solid motor mounts? Good luck tilting the motor to remove the top bolts.....

Solid mounts are for racecars OR people who dont want their motor to move 1/32". Poly mounts are perfect for street machines IMO.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started a new thread on my poly install today. I will chime in and say do it as well. Very noticeable difference. I only did the driver side and tranny mount, and it took five hours. It wasn't much fun, but it paid off. I asked these questions in my thread, but I'll ask them here as well. First, are there any drawbacks to not doing the passenger side? Also, on the tranny mount....I didn't put the bracket in that was on the original mount. The black bracket that was sandwiched between the original mount and the tranny. Is this going to be an issue? I simply put the poly mount in the way it came from Thunder Racing. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

I have a set of sphoon solid mnts I am thinking of putting in or not. I did not think about the tilting the trans back thing.... I KNOW I will have the tranny out a few times over the next few years.

Are poly mnts as good as solid? Maybe I should send them back for the poly ones. The motor is all the way apart and I'm at this stage NOW.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HowellSoccer88
I have solid mounts on my DD and I really dont think they are bad. Compared to my buddy's bone stock Z, the difference in vibration goes unnoticed to 99% of people whove ridden in our cars and is extremely minimal to me. But yea if I was you I would probably do prothane!
Solids in my DD too. And yeah 99% of anyone who rides in it can't tell i have them.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Ever tried to pull a tranny with solid motor mounts? Good luck tilting the motor to remove the top bolts.....

Solid mounts are for racecars OR people who dont want their motor to move 1/32". Poly mounts are perfect for street machines IMO.
Yes all the time. Just loosen the back four 18mm bolts holding your K member in and the tranny drops just as far as it would with stock motor mounts. adds a whole extra 5 min to a tranny swap.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Yes all the time. Just loosen the back four 18mm bolts holding your K member in and the tranny drops just as far as it would with stock motor mounts. adds a whole extra 5 min to a tranny swap.
Is it really that easy? That don't sound that bad.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRracing
Is it really that easy? That don't sound that bad.
Yes it is. and belive me i have pulled a tranny out of my car more times than i care to admit.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Yes it is. and belive me i have pulled a tranny out of my car more times than i care to admit.
I'm sure it will be an every other or every year kinda thing. I think owning a M6 and beating the **** out of it will cause one to do regular tranny matinance and or clutch changes.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I started a new thread on my poly install today. I will chime in and say do it as well. Very noticeable difference. I only did the driver side and tranny mount, and it took five hours. It wasn't much fun, but it paid off. I asked these questions in my thread, but I'll ask them here as well. First, are there any drawbacks to not doing the passenger side? Also, on the tranny mount....I didn't put the bracket in that was on the original mount. The black bracket that was sandwiched between the original mount and the tranny. Is this going to be an issue? I simply put the poly mount in the way it came from Thunder Racing. Any input is appreciated.
Lots of people run just one side motor mount, to keep it from tweaking over sideways. Not sure which side tweaks up and which goes down though

That black piece on the stock trans mount does not come off, the poly one just bolts on in its place. You are also NOT supossed to use that metal shim that it comes with on a 4l60e/t56. I think these mounts can be used on all kind of applications, and the shim is needed for some.

I could just see my *** trying to bench press a nice LS1/T56/k-member/a-arms combo!

Originally Posted by JRracing
I'm sure it will be an every other or every year kinda thing. I think owning a M6 and beating the **** out of it will cause one to do regular tranny matinance and or clutch changes.
The T-56 is usually completly fine, it just dishes out the pain on everything else! (differentials, axles, driveshafts, :cough:other cars:/cough: )
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The distinction between race car and street car varies from person to person. Almost all the modifications we discuss in these forums effect noise vibration harshness (NVH). As far as these modifications go, solid motor mounts are mild in my opinion. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being most adverse to NVH, I rate the following from my experience:

Typical cat back muffler: 2
Delete Catalytic convertor, retain muffler: 8
no exhaust: 9, maybe 10
Remove intake baffling (lid): 2
Loppy cam, idle: 5
Remove sound deadening: 3
poly motor mount: 2
solid motor mount: 3

The question is, how closely do you want to "feel" the car? And, I may choose to switch to poly (or even stock rubber) mounts in the future. I should have stated in my last post, that anyone debating poly or solid mounts should make an effort to test drive a car with similar modifications first if possible.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
The distinction between race car and street car varies from person to person.
I am fully aware of this, which is why I inserted the "IMO".

This topic is almost as trivial as the y-pipe vs. true duals thread.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

I did my drivers side today, took our time and it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be as long as you have the right tools. No more vibration at idle and no more banging exhaust.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Second Club

I just installed solid motor mounts tonight. They look very stout.

Name:  DSC00100.jpg
Views: 3308
Size:  27.9 KB
Name:  DSC00097.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  69.9 KB
Name:  DSC00077.jpg
Views: 3462
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Solid mounts on a DD ?, ok some like to feel the car more..lol, yes you will feel the car more. Meaning the vibration from the motor. Will it rattle the dash, no, not unless your car is a pos. Will it vibrate the stick shift and steering wheel, hell yes. How much you can stand that is the determining factor as to if you think the'yre ok. I have one poly mount on the drivers side. Thats all it needs. I have heads, cam, lt's and a good amount of torque and hp. I would never do solid mounts in my DD, dont need it at all. In a track car I can see it. Do the poly's first. If your engine is still jumping around then look at solids. I have original factory trans mount still. Do the trans mount and you'll feel even more vibration on the stick. Most all the banging people get is the factory motor mount being no good. They are soft rubber and tear.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Solid mounts on a DD ?, ok some like to feel the car more..lol, yes you will feel the car more. Meaning the vibration from the motor. Will it rattle the dash, no, not unless your car is a pos. Will it vibrate the stick shift and steering wheel, hell yes. How much you can stand that is the determining factor as to if you think the'yre ok. I have one poly mount on the drivers side. Thats all it needs. I have heads, cam, lt's and a good amount of torque and hp. I would never do solid mounts in my DD, dont need it at all. In a track car I can see it. Do the poly's first. If your engine is still jumping around then look at solids. I have original factory trans mount still. Do the trans mount and you'll feel even more vibration on the stick. Most all the banging people get is the factory motor mount being no good. They are soft rubber and tear.
Thats odd cause my solid mounts don't viberate or shake anything. I've put in five sets of solid mounts and NONE of them could tell i had put them in.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats odd cause my solid mounts don't viberate or shake anything. I've put in five sets of solid mounts and NONE of them could tell i had put them in.
Then your motor must be the most balanced engine around because I can tell the difference with just poly mounts and a 224/224 112 lsa cam. I can feel the rumble of the exaust better as well so you either full of it or can make a house of cards on your intake.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Then your motor must be the most balanced engine around because I can tell the difference with just poly mounts and a 224/224 112 lsa cam. I can feel the rumble of the exaust better as well so you either full of it or can make a house of cards on your intake.
Actually a car will rock more with stock or poly mounts than with solid mounts. A couple guys i put the solids in were hoping for the car to rock hard core. but were dissapointed when it actually rocked the same. the motor was completely still though.
You can feel the car better and feel the rumble of the exhaust but i wouldn't call that shaking or viberating.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard nothing but good things and I already have mine waiting to be installed.

Quick Reply: Polyurethane Engine Mounts. Yes or No? Pros & Cons? (edit)