Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt passing through foam {K&N, Holly} filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Amsoil stage 2 foam air filter. Anyone else have one?

I have been running one for over 8,000 miles. I haven't had any problems that I can notice. Opinions on foam air filters?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

So nobody else uses a foam air filter?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98boxer
So nobody else uses a foam air filter?
I use that one (Amsoil 2 stage) in the wintertime to keep the f'in salt dust clouds (from the megatons of Na Cl the damned road dept. dumps on the roads here) out of my engine!! I still don't like the oil possibly getting on the MAF wires, but it is "tackier" than the K&N/Holley/Airhog oils and hopefully catches most of the salt dust.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Kinda curious but where can you get an Amsoil filter from, whats the part number? Cheers.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patman has shown through oil analysis that the K&N's do allow more dirt to enter your engine. Not worth such an insignificant gain IMO. The paper filter's work just fine.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Kinda curious but where can you get an Amsoil filter from, whats the part number? Cheers.
I ordered it through their website.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Patman has shown through oil analysis that the K&N's do allow more dirt to enter your engine. Not worth such an insignificant gain IMO. The paper filter's work just fine.
Do you have a link to the thread he posted this info.

From what I have read before I got my foam air filter, the foam filter, filters out more dirt then the k&n and allows more air in.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Yea the only reason i used to use a K&N was because i had a clear lid and it looked better . But i have switched to paper
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I dunno, I used to race ATV's in some nasty conditions.. the k/n wen oiled right alays seemed to stop dirt fine, and when you are in a dustbowl sandpit for hours at a time, and you do this twice a week, and tear the motor down once a season, if the air filter wasn't doing it's job you will know it. I tried stock paper filters, oiled foam ones, and a k/n and the k/n and oiled foam always stopped more crap then the paper did... but again, this is in a stiuation that is far worse then what a normal car will see... so who knows.

I clean my k/n once a season, and I go about 2000 miles a season on average, and I never see any dirt/dust in the lid, maf or anything, even though I clean them out anyway.

Biggest problem with a k/n filter is that the rubber on the edge isn't usually thick enough, and the foam they put in the box to take up the rest of the gap usually isn't enough. I got some thicker foam with a tacky side and made my own gasket on my transam to seal it, and I've never had a problem. I have seen people have issues iwth that area allowing dirt to get past, and some aftermarket lids are worse then others it seems with that too.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The Donaldson style # is; Ea A83, I'm not sure if they still make the foam deal.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98boxer
Do you have a link to the thread he posted this info.

From what I have read before I got my foam air filter, the foam filter, filters out more dirt then the k&n and allows more air in.
I wish........but since the search button has been severely crippled it won't go back far enough. You could probably find it through a google.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

No motor "lasts forever". So if you do get gains (higher airflow = more air = more power then go with it.

Having this kind of mentality, no one should put nitrous on their car, shouldn't do burn outs, and definately never take the motor over 2k rpm's.

If it does let a little bit more dust in, then so be it. Eventually you will have to rebuild the motor at some point in time. You can have fun with the car and have to rebuild a little sooner, or treat it like a grandma car and rebuild it a little later on.

If you want the gains then do it otherwise shut up about trying to get all of this horsepower without hurting your motor any.

P.S. this wasn't directed toward anyone in particular, just that I can't stand people who want to have a "fast" car and not want to take on the responsibilities of having one.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthernSilverSpeed
No motor "lasts forever". So if you do get gains (higher airflow = more air = more power then go with it.

Having this kind of mentality, no one should put nitrous on their car, shouldn't do burn outs, and definately never take the motor over 2k rpm's.

If it does let a little bit more dust in, then so be it. Eventually you will have to rebuild the motor at some point in time. You can have fun with the car and have to rebuild a little sooner, or treat it like a grandma car and rebuild it a little later on.

If you want the gains then do it otherwise shut up about trying to get all of this horsepower without hurting your motor any.

P.S. this wasn't directed toward anyone in particular, just that I can't stand people who want to have a "fast" car and not want to take on the responsibilities of having one.
The difference is, with N20 you get a huge power gain that makes the risk worth it. .8 hp gain from a K&N isn't worth the extra dirt that finds it's way into your engine IMO. Even some of the fastest cars don't miss that .8 hp, and will forgo it for a cleaner motor.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

IMO every little bit helps.
If I raced a car with Crappy Lt's catted Y and paper filter. Cheap tires, etc. And my car was the exac same setup but had The best flowing exhaust, best flowing filter and bad *** tires, technically we would have the same modifications, Assuming drivers were bot equally skilled, who do you think would win?

I hate to have to do this but.."It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning" (I hate that movie) but its true. Wht is it going to take to get that extra tenth of a second or the extra pound lighter? Whatever gives me an advantage I'll take it.

P.S. I raced a 00 Z28 with the EXACT SAME Mods as me, but I won by like .8 seconds (1/8 mile) only differences was like smooth bellow, K&N, and the fact his was a 00 and mine was a 98.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

IMO every little bit helps.
If I raced a car with Crappy Lt's catted Y and paper filter. Cheap tires, etc. And my car was the exac same setup but had The best flowing exhaust, best flowing filter and bad *** tires, technically we would have the same modifications, Assuming drivers were bot equally skilled, who do you think would win?

I hate to have to do this but.."It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning" (I hate that movie) but its true. Wht is it going to take to get that extra tenth of a second or the extra pound lighter? Whatever gives me an advantage I'll take it.

P.S. I raced a 00 Z28 with the EXACT SAME Mods as me, but I won by like .8 seconds (1/8 mile) only differences was like smooth bellow, K&N, and the fact his was a 00 and mine was a 98.
I guess if you're really hardcore and in that mindset.....Might as well gut your car, drill the body panels and run without a filter then. I think the paper one is fine for all except those that strive to be too fast and too furious, and need the extra oomph that .8hp gives lol!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

i know that every little bit is better. So if I want the .8 hp on only a filter then so be it. If i gain 1 extra hp more for every mod I do to my car over what everyone else is doing. Lets say I do 20 mods and you do 20 mods. 20 hp more with the same mods?

If you dont value .8 hp at all because it is "pointless" then isn't it about the same as "pointless pocketchange" a penny here a nickle there.

5 cents a day:
20 days, $1,
200 days $10

All I am getting at is every little hp makes a difference and it adds up. Just like in top fuel or nascar, You dont think those guys do every last little thing they can do to get an advantage over the other guy?

Seriously running a K&N for 200,000 miles is not going to make or break you. I am sure other things will go wrong way before the K&N will "blow up your motor" If it lets more dirt in then so be it dirt is going to get in through the paper filter as well. I choose horsepower over 5 more miles on my motor.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
I think the point of the cloth is to see how dirty it(cloth) gets so you can see how good/bad the K&N filters dust/dirt
Correct!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FrozenMonkey
The AC Delco oil filters do very well. I can't find the old post with a whole crapload of info on filters (theres some website out there...a guy tested about 20 or so filters).
This guy! Fram sux BTW

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...y.html#acd-pf2
Old 02-15-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So why are you even running with a filter at all?
Old 02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a K&N and it gets pretty dirty pretty fast so im guessing its doing its job, also have u ever tried to blow thru a paper filter and then a K&N? after u try that ulll never go back to a paper one

Quick Reply: Dirt passing through foam {K&N, Holly} filters