Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirt passing through foam {K&N, Holly} filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
i have a K&N and it gets pretty dirty pretty fast so im guessing its doing its job, also have u ever tried to blow thru a paper filter and then a K&N? after u try that ulll never go back to a paper one
I've seen the display at muffler shops where a fan blow's air through a paper and also K&N filter, and raises a ping pong ball. The K&N does allow more air(also dirt) through and raises the ball quite a bit higher. While impressive, this does not seem correlate with a significant gain on the dyno. The paper filter isn't much of a restriction, so going to a K&N does little for hp. Just because you can see dirt being stuck to a K&N doesn't mean it filters as well as a paper one does. Oil analysis testing is more accurate.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
I've seen the display at muffler shops where a fan blow's air through a paper and also K&N filter, and raises a ping pong ball.
good marketing isn't it?
Old 02-15-2006, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc '99T/A
So why are you even running with a filter at all?

Wow you are really intelligent with that type of reasoning. A spec or two of dirt is not gonna ruin my motor.A freakin quarter might. I think the K&N will trap the big stuff. Especially since I have the FRA, not running a filter I would run the possibility of suck up anything. Why dont you just run an open MAF?? screw the lid too!! GENIUS!!

So think about what you are saying before you open your mouth next time.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, it was a sarcastic remark to go along with your line of thinking that you'll do anything for an eighth of a horsepower, even sacrafice the longevity of your engine. I obviously do not share the same views as you do on this topic, and would never recommend running your car without a filter. There's no need to get your panties all in a knot over this. Like I said, it was just a comment in line with your reasoning. Chill.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put a K&N in my truck and my Z28. I've held each of the filters up to the light and seen way too much light for my comfort. I understand the theory behind oiled gauze - that dirt particles absorb some of the oil and become a part of the filtering element, trapping more dirt while maintaining airflow. But, after seeing quantitative analysis of multiple filters...and seeing K&N near or at the bottom of the list for each test...I wonder if I made the best choice.

We enthusiasts are renowned for throwing money at our vehicles. We change the oil at 2000 miles, agonize over minute differences in oil weights and brands, and spend exorbitant amounts on questionable improvements. Without the means to test each and every thing we do to our vehicles we are at the mercy of our experience, gullibility, and the marketing rhetoric of people whose job it is to sell whatever it is they get paid to sell.

As for air filters, K&N looks cool and since it's so expensive it MUST be better. Right? But the fact that our motor hasn't rasped itself to death in XX,000 miles is no proof it is better than OEM/Other Mfg filters.

Dust/dirt getting through a filter is generally caught up in the oil and is largely filtered out. What isn't filtered out is seen as an increase in silicon numbers in an oil analysis. We enthusiasts change our oil, ON AVERAGE, more often than is generally required and we remove those contaminants before they have an opportunity to bugger anything up. We change the oil more frequently and spend more money to take out dirt that got into the oil from the expensive filters that we use. Ouch!

It would be interesting to see if anyone has oil analysis numbers directly comparing the use of paper filters and the use of oiled gauze filters.

I, for one, will seriously rethink how I spend my dough on air filters. The cited air filter analysis, though not directly comparable to our part# filter, is great food for thought. I've already spent my money on K&Ns but if a better paper filter lets my oil go longer and keep my engine cleaner, maybe changing it once a year isn't such a bad thing.

$.02

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 02-16-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
........ What isn't filtered out is seen as an increase in silicon numbers in an oil analysis. We enthusiasts change our oil, ON AVERAGE, more often than is generally required and we remove those contaminants before they have an opportunity to bugger anything up. We change the oil more frequently and spend more money to take out dirt that got into the oil from the expensive filters that we use. Ouch!
Thats some great info. On my next oil anaylisis I will compare the silicone levels to the previous test and If the silicone levels are high, then I know the to much dirt is entering through filter. I never knew silicone levels are high, then too much dirt is entering the engine through the filter. I have a 2 stage foam amsoil oil filter, I've been using for 8,000 miles or more - I have checked the maf screen and it had no oil on the screen but I still cleaned the screen. And I will be looking very closely at my next oil analysis. Thanks.

What air would you recommend?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by SouthernSilverSpeed
Wow you are really intelligent with that type of reasoning. A spec or two of dirt is not gonna ruin my motor.A freakin quarter might. I think the K&N will trap the big stuff. Especially since I have the FRA, not running a filter I would run the possibility of suck up anything. Why dont you just run an open MAF?? screw the lid too!! GENIUS!!

So think about what you are saying before you open your mouth next time.
LMAO! That's the pot calling the kettle black
Old 02-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the paper fram filters from autozone.

Last edited by 4thGenCamaro; 02-17-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
LMAO! That's the pot calling the kettle black
Old 02-18-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Is there anything us guys with the Powershot could run around the edge to seal it better? If there are any sealing issues at all. Can never be too safe.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to home depot or lowes and pick up some weatherstripping and stick that to the underside of your lid around the lip where the filter seals. To be safe you might want to glue it there, because if for some reason it doesn't stay, take a wild guess as to where it's going!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I think the main problem here is dirt particles getting around the side of the panel filter, this is a common problem with such filter type. If the K&N didn't fit quite as well with as good a sealing edge to them, then that is almost certainly the cause as opposed to the eliment itself.
The typical "lid is a lid is a lid" design that everyone copies and sells with only minor variation is begging for leaks, no matter how well the filter fits. I've been through several of them. Some filters fit better than others, but they all have trouble at the back edge because that thin flat plastic strip under the neck barely engages the edge of the filter even when it's straight, and it doesn't take much exposure to engine bay heat, engine vacuum (though slight inside the air cleaner) and pressure from the filter gasket to bow it up and break the seal.

Around here, the horse farms have crews mowing the grass constantly during the summer, and they all spary the grass on the roads instead of on their nice painted fences. I got very tired of cleaning grass clippings off of my MAF screen (!!!) and tired of trying to keep the lids (several of them) sealed.

I finally bit the bullet and sprung for the SLP/Donaldson. I doubt if it flows any better than the other lids, and might even be SLIGHTLY worse, but the strip under the neck is designed differently so it's much stiffer, engages the filter better, and stays sealed. It isn't perfect, and I would have designed the neck differently, but at least at keeps the grass out of my engine.

And really, when there's grass or other debris on the MAF screen, worrying about dust getting THROUGH the filter is purely academic.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
I put a K&N in my truck and my Z28. I've held each of the filters up to the light and seen way too much light for my comfort. I understand the theory behind oiled gauze - that dirt particles absorb some of the oil and become a part of the filtering element, trapping more dirt while maintaining airflow. But, after seeing quantitative analysis of multiple filters...and seeing K&N near or at the bottom of the list for each test...I wonder if I made the best choice.

We enthusiasts are renowned for throwing money at our vehicles. We change the oil at 2000 miles, agonize over minute differences in oil weights and brands, and spend exorbitant amounts on questionable improvements. Without the means to test each and every thing we do to our vehicles we are at the mercy of our experience, gullibility, and the marketing rhetoric of people whose job it is to sell whatever it is they get paid to sell.

As for air filters, K&N looks cool and since it's so expensive it MUST be better. Right? But the fact that our motor hasn't rasped itself to death in XX,000 miles is no proof it is better than OEM/Other Mfg filters.

Dust/dirt getting through a filter is generally caught up in the oil and is largely filtered out. What isn't filtered out is seen as an increase in silicon numbers in an oil analysis. We enthusiasts change our oil, ON AVERAGE, more often than is generally required and we remove those contaminants before they have an opportunity to bugger anything up. We change the oil more frequently and spend more money to take out dirt that got into the oil from the expensive filters that we use. Ouch!

It would be interesting to see if anyone has oil analysis numbers directly comparing the use of paper filters and the use of oiled gauze filters.

I, for one, will seriously rethink how I spend my dough on air filters. The cited air filter analysis, though not directly comparable to our part# filter, is great food for thought. I've already spent my money on K&Ns but if a better paper filter lets my oil go longer and keep my engine cleaner, maybe changing it once a year isn't such a bad thing.

$.02
By the time it gets trapped in the oil filter it could have already scored a few things on the way.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use the Holly powershot since the nostrels on my car are completely sealed and I've felt how wet the filter gets. (NO moisture gets through) No way I would use a paper filter in this setup. Otherwise I might think about it. Either way I did notice holding the Holly next to the K&N that there was more gauze and less light. Not to mention it fit a lot better. I'm betting a lot of LS1 owners are driving around not knowing there filter is leaking on the back side towards the maf. I do the weather stripping also. I've looked inside my intake, maf, etc. and see no sand, dust, or debri. I doubt an oiled filter is going to hurt anything unless you don't follow directions or seal it well.

Quick Reply: Dirt passing through foam {K&N, Holly} filters