Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Crank Bolt Help?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exstanger
This is true to an extent. Heating the bolt will break down the loctite and make it easier to remove. This doesn't mean to heat it till it's glowing red though.
You want the different expansion rates to break whatever bond has developed between the bolt and the crank. You dont have to turn the bolt when its hot, you can let it cool first. Also spraying a warm bolt with PB blaster will help suck the stuff into the threads as it cools.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
they dont do the starter bump with it in gear. think of it like this. if you lock the balancer bolt to not let it spin(breaker bar against the ground or whatever)when you bump the starter, it will spin the crank in the CCW direction(as viewed from the rear), so righty tighty/lefty loosey, the crankshaft in effect screws itself off the immobilized balancer bolt. basically the balancer bolt is acting as a stationary stud, the crankshaft is a nut on that stud, and the starter is a electric torque multiplying wrench you are using to get that nut off that stud.
This leads me to understand that the crank-bolt is right-hand threaded then? I don't want to apply too much force until I'm SURE that I'm trying to spin it in the right direction!

Thx!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Never had any problems. Locked the flywheel A4 and I used just a 1/2 drive ratchet with the socket/extension. Make sure the wrench is on you right side. Use your left hand to cup over the socket that's covered over the crank bolt and make sure its on there tight and snug with your right hand pull up with sharp strike upwards pulling use your body to generate the power , if you need two hands have someone press against the socket over the crank bolt for security of the bolt and use two hands to pull up while the ratchet is on the right side going counter clockwise if you were facing your hood. Its good to position the ratchet our breaker bar lower so that you can get more force pulling. Pulling gives you more power losing bolts compared to pushing.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Freeze the bolt with a straight-on shot of Nitrous...It should come right out.
Beforehand, don't forget to wear thick gloves and a good set of safety GOGGLES (not glasses)!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1Fire is onto something here! Having the tool square and flush on a high torque fastener is a VERY high priority! Getting the bolt to budge is the biggest problem. Once it's turning you're nearly home free. A long breaker bar and a piece of pipe over the end of it might help to get it started. The crank MUST be fixed. I use a chain wrench to do this job. This antique tool is sold in your local plumbing supply house. Years back they were used on cast iron sewer pipe until PVC came along, but there's nothing wrong with adapting to hold a big pulley still long enough to get a bolt out of the center of it. Don't forget Harbor Freight now sells a pulley puller made just for pulleys that use a serpentine belt. The jaws fit right into the grooves of the crank pulley. Only problem is the jaws won't open wide enough to fit the big pulley. You can make a longer rod for the jaws out of a piece of round stock. You have to machine two grooves into it for the jaw set screws and drill and tap some threads for the puller rod, but you can knock that out in an hour on a milling machine. Make the rod about 1' long. Works great! I don't use my Posi-Lock anymore for the LS series pulley and I NEVER thought I would say those words.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00turboT/A
The bolt is a 12 point ARP bolt. I had a peice of pipe on the wrench and pulled so hard it broke the head of the wrench. Its a husky so I can get anew one so I'm not worry about.
It sounds like somebody did a balancer swap...and used the crank bolt to seat the balancer.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You need an impact. Its a quick, sharp application of force as opposed to a breaker bar, which is slow, soft torque.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ashade98
For example have you ever heard of the pulley in the oven trick. You put your underdrive pulley in the oven @ 210 or so for an hour, it expands the pulley and you can usually slip it right on the crank (didn't quite work for me). SAME CONCEPT.
In theory that should not work because it will expand in both ways. Making the hole smaller...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Ok folks. I have the ARP Bolt and I couldn't for the life of me get the balancer bolt out. I chocked the tires and took a 6 foot lever extension on my ratchet after the bolt and it did nothing but climb on top of the bricks. These bricks are 5" tall. I took a good 1/2" impact with 160psi and still wouldn't break loose. So then I tried the starter bump with a shorter lever and propped it against the ground. The first bump knocked the extension off my ratchet. Set it back up and tried it again. BINGO! Balancer bolt removed.

I dont think I would try this with a regular 8 point bolt head but I was using the 12 point ARP head with a 12 point socket.

Thanks again my LS1Tech friends!
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Default crank pulley bolt

try to drill out the rest of the bolt with a bit that just fits the hole. it will probably damage the threads. if you can drill it out, start stepping up in bit size one by one and try to drill the remaining threads out. dont take out any more material than the depth of the threads if you can do this, then tap the hole for a BBC balancer bolt and your back in business. ive done it to won of my sbc's and it worked like a champ. good luck.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

I wonder how many times people are going to repeat what has already been said.

OP,

So did you end up getting the bolt out?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I wonder how many times people are going to repeat what has already been said.

OP,

So did you end up getting the bolt out?
I don't think you will get a reply this thread was started 4 years ago.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

I was just posting that it worked perfectly, Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
I don't think you will get a reply this thread was started 4 years ago.
LOL. At least I didn't start a new one asking if he got it fixed.

I never noticed the dates.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
LOL. At least I didn't start a new one asking if he got it fixed.

I never noticed the dates.
Well I ended up drilling mine out and rethreading the crank. Worked perfect no issues. The issue was on the 6.0L crank was shallower than the Ls1-Ls6 cranks. The ARP bolt was longer and it bottomed out and cross threaded. Anyways ARP has since then fixed the issue by making it shorter because of this issue. So ARP gave me some free product for the issue that I had had and brought to there attention. Def an old thread. LOL
Old 03-08-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good to hear. Hopefully this will save someone else this problem in the future.

/rant on

On a side note it amazes me how some people bitch that you don't use the "search" button. Then when someone pulls up an old thread, people, one Mod in particular, bitches then closes the thread.

/rant off

Last edited by LilJayV10; 03-08-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 AM

Default flywheel lock

how do you lock up a manual flywheel with the engine in the car. im trying to tourque the balancer bolt an the car is moving.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

^ On a manual trans? (If I read that right) Put it in reverse and rip the e-brake. Torquing the bolt is actually the easier way. Taking it off by hand is a FPITA.

And using an impact to get the crank bolt out has been the easiest way for me. I tried a breaker bar and the jack handle as a cheater and it wouldn't budge at all. Got my trusty IR 2131 Impact on there and it was off in two seconds.

And stupid question, I've got an ARP Crank bolt on the way and I was wondering if it was still OK to torque the 360-ft/lb pass with the new bolt. Yes? I was gonna do it with the old bolt, but I'm about to cut that one up to make a thread cleaner out of it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those ideas will probably work, but using a chain wrench clamps the pulley itself which is where the bolt resides. The pulley is an interference fit to the crank. Once the back face of the pulley kisses the front face of the sprocket that drives the oil pump and cam chain the torque value instantly go to infinity if you can turn a wrench that hard. You reach a point where the pulley all of a sudden stops moving and the force needed to turn the wrench goes to MAX. You done at this point.

Quick Reply: Stuck Crank Bolt Help?????