Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock vs Free Ram Air vs FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs Free Ram Air vs FIPK

After much reading and contemplation, I opted for the FIPK as the more or less permanent air mod. To check how it compared to a stock system and a stock system modified with the Free Ram Air modification I did a few days of very unscientific testing which nevertheless showed the differences.

My car is an otherwise box stock 99 Camaro SS with 43,000 miles. The test considered measured times from 60-90 MPH at WOT. 12 runs were done in each setup over the course of 8 days. The recorded times remained within +/- .08 seconds of each other for each setup and all the runs were done along the same highway and at roughly equal air temps. I calculated an average for each setup, first discarding the highest and lowest recorded values.

Here's the bottom line:

Stock---------6.03 secs
Free Air mod--5.91
FIPK----------5.88

What the figures do show is the Free Ram Air has the best bang for the buck from 60-90 MPH. If I drove all day in this range, it would be the way to go. I was initially pissed that I had spent $300 for a mod that was only marginally better than a freebie. But than I gassed up and for the very first time since I have owned the car, my commute mpg passed the 20 mark. Way past. 21.2 MPG to be exact. I did not compute MPG for the Free Ram Air, so it too could be near that mark.

About the FIPK---An absolute piece of cake to install. Well made. The heat plate gets moi hot! Mid range passing does seem much better and slow speed throttle response is noticeably better. But then so were they with the Free Ram Air. It does look great. But at $300, well........I dunno.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Stock vs Free Ram Air vs FIPK

I am taking my FIPK out this weekend for an SLP lid and CAI system. I am afraid that the FIPK is sucking in hot air. I have gotten very good results from the FIPK, but I expect better from the SLP combe. I'll post results once I get back from the track.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be so hard on yourself: your acceleration tests were very scientific. We are often surprised that test results do not "prove" our gut feelings.

Thanks for the good info.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

I did some tests at the track this past Saturday,

FRA-K&N FIPK-stock MAF
FRA-SLP Lid- stock MAF

My 60ft sucked so I don't want to post times, but between the two it was very close.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

While Drew ran the FIPK, I ran the SLP lid, and vice-versa. I saw the same results, not much difference between the 2 setups. In fact my trap speeds on back to back runs with the different setups were identical, 105.37s.

That tells me that I've run into a "wall" @105 mph. The intake isn't the restriction right now. Something else is, but what is it???

I wonder how at the point the intake becomes the "wall" (restriction) in a set-up, which one FIPK or lid would perform better.