Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short bullet mufflers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Short bullet mufflers???

Anyone know where I could pick up some super short bullet mufflers? Im looking for something about 6" long, in a 3" diameter. Id like to put them in where cats would normally go so that it atleast looks like ive got some cats, plus itll hopefully get rid of a little bit of rasp. If nobody sells bullets this small, ill probably cut a 12 or 18" bullet in half and weld one side closed.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright .. first off the bullet muffler deff doesnt look like a cat at all. if your trying to stay legal as means of cat/no cat. then get a high flow cat. case solved.

if your tryin just to decrease the rasp, then this is what will work:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...t=CCI%2D2DI22R

it decreases cabin drone and also delivers more torque.

it will also decrease your rasp you currently have.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by emerica4601
alright .. first off the bullet muffler deff doesnt look like a cat at all. if your trying to stay legal as means of cat/no cat. then get a high flow cat. case solved.
A bullet will look like a cat when it has a heatshield tacked to it. I used to have high flow cats, but they broke apart. I still have the shells.

As for those header inserts, im not too keen on them, but i might be willing to try it. Have you used these personally or are you just speculating based on the manufacturer's claims?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

The shortest bullet mufflers I have seen are 12"
Old 03-27-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

i have ran into the same problem in my camaro because S&W race car suspension does not allow exhaust pipe past the tranni. i have the exhaust insert and slip in muffler from summit and my fabrication guy is trying to get one to work. i will let you know which one works hopefully by this weekend.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Anyone know where I could pick up some super short bullet mufflers? Im looking for something about 6" long, in a 3" diameter. Id like to put them in where cats would normally go so that it atleast looks like ive got some cats, plus itll hopefully get rid of a little bit of rasp. If nobody sells bullets this small, ill probably cut a 12 or 18" bullet in half and weld one side closed.
+ 1 for high flow cats (you need metal matrix ones).

You won't get a muffler with a 3" diamter as you'll need it to have a 3" core aswell so 4" would be the smallest, but a short muffler with only 1/2" of packing will not help reduce rasp as there would be nothing to it. It would however affect the exhaust pressure wave. So this again brings it round to getting high flow cats, check out Random Technology's 7000 Series Metal Matrix ones 3" inlet/outlet 4" diameter.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

Find Kraest here on the board. He just put some on his C5.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Maybe ill even fab up my own inserts. The dont look to difficult to make.

Quick Reply: Short bullet mufflers???