Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backpressure w/ Open Ypipe? Or straight pipe after !muffler work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backpressure w/ Open Ypipe? Or straight pipe after !muffler work?

I need to sell my LM catback. However i need something on the car for the next few weeks or so until my turbo is up and running so i dont want to spend $ on pipes thatll just get trashed soon. Would an open ypipe work where I basically just disconnect the catback and leave the pipe open? How would backpressure be?

Or, I also have the stock exhaust but i cut it right before the muffler so i basically have the pipes going over the axle and ending before it goes into the muffler and splits. So i could bolt that back up and leave it open where the muffler once was. Would it get too hot under ther?

I was hoping to maybe just run a turndown bolted to the ypipe. Any help would be great. thanks
Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not think back pressure it an issue with these cars, unlike the ricers, but the thing would be insanly loud, I would not drive it long.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

My friend has a z28 with H/C and LTs, dumped at the Y. It is very loud. I don't imagine dumping at the Y would be much louder on stock manifolds than a LM catback.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i say go for it. let us know the reactions you get when your ridin around town
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive run my ypipe open for a few hours before installing my LM. its actually not that loud IMO.

Down here in savannah, i think others on the road would appreciate the sound. Straight pipes are abundant here with caprice, crown vics, anything you can think of people run loud obnoxious open pipes that sound rediculous on their old junky V8s.

So backpressure wont be too bad? I just wanted to see how it would affect flow. I know that a cutout is basically what id be makin, but a cutout still flows through the original exhaust some.

Any more experiences/opinions? this is only temp until i get the rear mount bolted up and stock pipes welded back up.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
Ive run my ypipe open for a few hours before installing my LM. its actually not that loud IMO.

Down here in savannah, i think others on the road would appreciate the sound. Straight pipes are abundant here with caprice, crown vics, anything you can think of people run loud obnoxious open pipes that sound rediculous on their old junky V8s.

So backpressure wont be too bad? I just wanted to see how it would affect flow. I know that a cutout is basically what id be makin, but a cutout still flows through the original exhaust some.

Any more experiences/opinions? this is only temp until i get the rear mount bolted up and stock pipes welded back up.
Your cars exhaust needs backpressure= Myth
I run just a bullet on each header and daily drive my car 90+ miles a day. its THE BEST flowing exhaust out there.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill see. Hopefully the kit will be off this weekend/week. Ill record a before and after sound clip just to see how much louder itll get. Ill likely just get a turndown and bolt it up to where the ypipe merges to the "I-pipe"

Quick Reply: backpressure w/ Open Ypipe? Or straight pipe after !muffler work?