Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of TTS system... looking to Grots + ORY

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tired of TTS system... looking to Grots + ORY

I've got the TTS system on my car, consisting of TTS 1 3/4" LT headers going into TTS bullet-style cats, the TTS 2.5" Y-pipe following into a Loudmouth cat-back. I absolutely love the sound at idle and up to 4500 RPM, it's pure mechanical bliss... an almost exotic throaty sound. After 4500 RPM, all hell breaks loose... volume increases significantly and the rasp starts to make itself evident. I may be able to solve this by replacing the resonator with a Dynomax bullet, but what's worse are the bottlenecks before the loudmouth.

I have a set of ARE S1 heads and a TR224 cam. With this combo and the exhaust system above, I made 406 RWHP/386 ft-#. Not bad for restrictive TTS cats, eh? Well I want more. Low and mid-RPM response are incredible, but it feels as if it's choking at the upper revs. I'm now looking to replace the cam with something bigger and need to have this exhaust bottleneck resolved.

The TTS headers have let me down... they make a ton of noise (fluttering noticable in the cabin)and don't provide the best ground clearance. With the cats, they're near equal to SLP LT in ground clearance. My replacement headers will be 1 3/4" Grots. As for a Y-pipe, I'm at a loss... I want to enjoy T-top free driving, and if things get too smelly, I'll have to pick up a set of Random 8000-series cats.

Given my situation, do I stand much to gain by getting rid of the TTS headers? Should I integrate cats into my future Y-pipe or leave them out for the time being?
Old 08-10-2002, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tired of TTS system... looking to Grots + ORY

Umm that flutter is a 10 cent fix... that you will have to do to whatever headers you buy.. http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html
Old 08-10-2002, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by WILWAXU:
<strong>Umm that flutter is a 10 cent fix... that you will have to do to whatever headers you buy.. http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've already performed that "fix" while replacing both check valves. That was a complete waste of my time and money!
Old 08-10-2002, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... then what fluttering noise are you talking about?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm hearing noise from exhaust pulses as they carry down the primaries. This noise is noticable from outside the car and sounds like a "fluttering" inside the car. The source is NOT from the check valves; another guy on here with the same TTS headers reports the noise as well. I haven't heard this noise with my friend's Grots and I like how they tuck up better.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow..I do research on the board for months and months trying to decide which long tubes to finally buy and decide on the tts a few weeks ago and now this post comes out and shakes me up..arghhhhhh .Mine aren't even here yet..waiting like a month for delivery due to fedx incompetence and canada customs..but anyway...I would think the loudmouth is large part of the problem..bascially it isn't a muffler at all.
I am pretty sure my tts will sound good with my b and b as the car isn't very loud at all now and with cats can't see it being that bad.Also for ground clearance I have seen these headers on
some lowered cars without any apparent problems.My car only has the slp eibachs so hope I am ok that way .As for the fluttering noise a few guys on the boards not sure if it was this one or ls1.com said they noticed no strange noises with the tts..some header noise is usually common with any headers..the thinner wall the headers the more the noise usually..my factory 99 have some noise I think compared to the 2000 and up cast iron ones.I have a loud stereo and have dynamatted most of car so probably won't be too noticeable in my car..hope not.Also I thought the tts had a 3 inch ypipe?? Oh well..too bad I might have bought yours off you if hadn't ordered mine already..sure someone will take them..I better like mine..they weren't cheap..course what is on our ls1's..rear ends..heads..ouch..bend me over again!!!!
Old 08-10-2002, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I don't mean to discourage anyone from the TTS product. Construction is top-notch and fitment is good, but I'm looking for something better. I have yet to find an exhaust leak (I know everything is sealed up) so this may be just the nature of the header, but it really does bother me. With a heads/cam car, I want something that flows a little better and responds better on the top end, which the Grots can help with. Let me know how your setup sounds after you have it installed!
Old 08-10-2002, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same noises with FLPs, Its what you gotta pay for the performance.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by WILWAXU:
<strong>Umm that flutter is a 10 cent fix... that you will have to do to whatever headers you buy.. http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have Grot headers/cats and 222/222/544/544/114 cam and have a fluttering, more like a chirping sound. I thought it was the check valves and so did the restrictor mod. That got me the service engine light and so I removed the restrictors. No more light, but the sound continues.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:42 PM
*Bad Trader*

ya gotta be near precise on the check valve mod. after 3 times of still getin the noise i got a coke can and cut out a replica of the gasket, then i drilled an 18th in hole (ill check that to be sure) but i had to try a few diffrent size holz. try again, i have 1 7/8 grotts and i had the same prob till that fix...
Old 08-10-2002, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I can't believe the source of the noise is in the check valves... not whatsoever; the fluttering noise in my car is variable with RPM and more noticable under load. I could try adding block-off plates and disconnect the air pump system, but I feel that's a waste of time. In interest of more top-end power and better ground clearance, I think I'm going to:

-Get a set of 1 3/4" Grots
-Build a 3" off-road Y-pipe into a 3 > 3.5 Flowmaster scavenger colletor
-Weld an 18" Dynomax bullet muffler in place of the existing Loudmouth resonator
Old 08-10-2002, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MY99TAWS6:
<strong>Wow..I do research on the board for months and months trying to decide which long tubes to finally buy and decide on the tts a few weeks ago and now this post comes out and shakes me up..arghhhhhh ...!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Look bro, if you want a totally quiet stock-like car then keep it stock. Otherwise you are going to have small differences, noises etc. to deal with in certain areas when you begin modifying.
I have TTS headers and have run them for a couple years. They are great. My car also has ported heads and an aftermarket cam. Don't let anyone make you doubt your decision. TTS's are very good.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I am an old hotrodder..44 years to be precise and have had lots of noisy pro street type cars..don't mind a bit of noise and most headers make some ticking sounds..I think imperator should just run an offroad pipe on his tts or maybe get a different catback..those loudmouths are basically a straight pipe.I wonder how raspy my tts will sound with my b and b exhaust without any kind of bullet in there.could easily have buddies at midas whip up an offroad pipe and keep the cats in case we ever get emissions testing..
I dont really want to have to run a bullet.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

You've been hotrodding for 44 years or you are 44 years old? Anyway you know the deal then. I've been driving and messing with hotrods for about 25 years. TTS headers are very nice. Very easy install no banging and floorboard smacking and goofy band clamps and 1'8" header flanges or none of that. BEEFY flanges on both ends. The cats have gotten some bad airplay but I lost very little to no power on the dyno with full cats vs gutted (TTS) cats.
You'll be fine with the OR pipe and the B&B...when you doing your heads and cam? That's the fun stuff...
Old 08-13-2002, 03:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

My view? Keep the TTS headers.

Why? They are really good quality. Thicker gauge steel than the Grot's.

I currently run TTS longtubes and I used to have a set of Grot's.

Grot Y pipe is still not very good.

IMO do a little research on the gauge of steel used for the headers.

Grot's didn't use to have flanges, do they now? Mine did not and my cat's-to-header connections always leaked like crazy so I had them welded twice.

I would get a custom ORP or have bypass tubes made.

Your fluttering is:
-air valve (as discussed)
-exhuast leak
-leaky AIR pump, did you check to make sure they are tight?
-crack in header or pinhole leak

9/10 times it's an exhaust leak.

Even though I think that the guy who runs TTS is a difficult person, I have to say his headers are top notch.

I have a used set, his 2nd set made... They are still flawless, and they date back to mid 1998.

IMO this is a way where you redo a mod and just waste money.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I wasn't very clear.I am 44 years old and have been hotrodding since I was 18 or so..first car was 77 bandit 400 ta.Should have kept it.
Good news to hear about the funny noises likely being one of those things pro stock stated.I have taken off my air pump crap and have block offs for the egr and air tubes.I am curious to maybe try a custom offroad pipe on my tts at some point.I actually find the car pretty growly now even with just my b and b now that its got some miles on it.I just ordered the qtech controller and 3 inch cutout.That should take care of the occasional urge to have it louder.I have heard the grots are pretty good and have good ground clearance..problem is every time a guy buys the wrong thing it costs money.I have spent quite a bit in last few years trading up cars..had 96/97 and now 99tas.and have gone thru lots of different mods..
Old 08-13-2002, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh yeah dustin ..have cam and stuff..here's my sig.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:48 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I'm going to restate my post a bit.

TTS longtubes are thicker steel than Grots... Now the Grots might be an average gauge of steel for LS1 headers, I don't know.

The TTS headers do not bang the floorboards at all.

I think that longtubes, ORP, and B&B can sound pretty good, but that's because the B&B has a tuned sound to it.

TTS' first set of longtubes are on the Goldrush TA showcar. I have the second pair... Our early sets have GM 2 ball flanges instead of the 3 bolt flanges of the ones since then.

My headers are holding up great.

I prefer a 3" ORP and that is what I used until I went dual exhaust.