Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP LM + ?Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never specified, I have the M6. So around town it would be real low RPMs. Although I suppose I could just run it in 1st gear at 35 MPH the whole time...lol. Now, if I get just the pacesetters and LM, will all of that hook up fine, or do I need an ORY or catted Y? Just lookin to save a bit of money where ever I can. If ORY is the only way to go it's no big deal. It will just be a couple weeks until the money starts flowin in.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

I have a LM on my heads/cam car. I'm running hooker LT into an ORY and then a LM. I took the resonator out for a Dynomax bullet. It sounds nice and quiet(as quiet as it can be anyway) around town, but when I step on the gas, it gets really loud and sounds awesome. It has a little rasp around 2200 rpm or so, but, I can live with it.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slow01TA
I have a LM on my heads/cam car. I'm running hooker LT into an ORY and then a LM. I took the resonator out for a Dynomax bullet. It sounds nice and quiet(as quiet as it can be anyway) around town, but when I step on the gas, it gets really loud and sounds awesome. It has a little rasp around 2200 rpm or so, but, I can live with it.
does your dynomax really quiet it down that much? I heard that it helps with the rasp and deepens the tone but I thought the noise level was still around the same.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Launching!

I was looking at this exhaust too at one point. It does sound good, I have a friend that has LM, ORY and Pacesetter LTs on his 99' T/A and this exhaust sounds insanely great. But, I myself have decided to go with TSP Rumbler X True Duals with the Bullet mufflers, it should have more muscle car sound and actually is cheaper than getting a LM and an ORY and true duals are supposably better flowing and louder as well. I would look into that before you make your final decision. $400 for LM, $120 for ORY, $375 for pacesetters= $895 for a catback setup. $410 for Rumbler X, $375 for pacesetters= $785 and you get a true dual setup; the best possible flow and sound.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The LM is stainless steel and fits like a stock exhaust, the Rumbler X is mild steel and fitment is more 'custom'.

Flow should be good, but on a bolt on/mild cammed setup a good 3" Y will give any dual setup a run for it's money.

Also if you plan on running a body mounted torque arm it won't fit if you have a Rumbler X. But it should sound good
Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Hmmm, my dad mentioned the true dual setup. That might not be a bad way to go. I was doing some shopping, and found a cheaper LT/ORY combo, for 415 w/ free shipping. That is not ceramic coated though, and your price is with ceramic coated. Are there any pros to ceramic headers that are worth the extra $105 dollars? I'll have to listen to some true dual setups. Are they louder than the LM exhaust? The link in the beginning of the thread sounds pretty badass with the LM.

But like you are saying, if I get a Rumbler X, and Pacesetters, is that all I am going to need? It would be complete from the engine back? What is the deal with throwing codes with that set up? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure I do enough searching/listening to get a sweet setup. Figuring I'm stock now, I'll be happy with anything loud.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black2kWS6
Hmmm, my dad mentioned the true dual setup. That might not be a bad way to go. I was doing some shopping, and found a cheaper LT/ORY combo, for 415 w/ free shipping. That is not ceramic coated though, and your price is with ceramic coated. Are there any pros to ceramic headers that are worth the extra $105 dollars? I'll have to listen to some true dual setups. Are they louder than the LM exhaust? The link in the beginning of the thread sounds pretty badass with the LM.

But like you are saying, if I get a Rumbler X, and Pacesetters, is that all I am going to need? It would be complete from the engine back? What is the deal with throwing codes with that set up? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure I do enough searching/listening to get a sweet setup. Figuring I'm stock now, I'll be happy with anything loud.
Yea, I'm looking for loud too, and I know exactly what you want . But yes, the TSP rumber X bolts righ onto the pacesetter LTs and goes back and dumps at the axel (it doesn't go to the rear). I was kind of disapointed when I found out that the only way to get true duals that go all the way to the rear of the bumper is a completely custom job at a shop (from what I am told) because I have a Formula and it would look rather strange without any tips out the back, but for the sound and the price, I can deal with that. I have heard both the LM, ORY and Pacesetter LTs and the TSP Rumbler X in person and I must say, they both seem equally loud. Its just that the Rumbler X sounds much more ferocious. Its really hard to explain but the LM has a higher pitched tinny sound (but not bad) and the Rumbler X had a deeper sound with NO rasp. The LM is raspy, and by that I mean it pops and gurgles alot and sort of backfires and stuff... hard to explain but the Rumbler X doesn't do that. See they both IMO are the 2 best sounding exhausts out there. But the Rumbler X just sounds like a loud muscle car sound. It just ROARS like you wouldn't believe... the LM is more like a racecar SCREAM than a ROAR... if that makes any sense .

BTW, tell me more about throwing codes with the Rumbler X, I didn't know of this
Old 04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

If you don't run cats you will need either O2 Sims for the rear's or have someone with tuning software to program out the rear O2 sensors.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

BTW, I went with O2 sims and haven't had any problems, but then again the car was in storage for 5 of the 8 months that I've had the headers on. I'll prolly get rid of the sims and go the computer route once I get my car tuned.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by green28
BTW, I went with O2 sims and haven't had any problems, but then again the car was in storage for 5 of the 8 months that I've had the headers on. I'll prolly get rid of the sims and go the computer route once I get my car tuned.
Does not tuning this or not getting O2 sims affect the way the car drives or performs at all. Is it something I have to do immediately after the exhuast?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

I'm somewhat suspicious of my car running rich and it has LT headers, ory with 02 sims, and lm exhaust. But haven't confirmed.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

So the rumbler x dumps right after the axle? Having no tips would look weird, I'm not sure if I want to have a setup like that. Having those two empty spots in the back just wouldn't look right to me. Does anyone have any pictures to post up of the rumbler x setup?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

I used to have SLP LTs, cats, & LM w/ stk cam & car sounded not good. Then I had same thing but w/ mild head & cam & car sounded not good. Then I switched to the D/D catback & was too quiet. Then I went to a 402 w/ Kooks LTs, D/D & car sounded almost perfect, & loud. Then I put on a P1 blower & switched to stock catback w/ a cutout & it's now perfect. I would suggest for you to go w/ some good LT's, ory, elect. cutout, and stock muffler for the perfect exhaust system IMHO. Good luck w/ your setup.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Launching!

So the rumbler x dumps right after the axle? Having no tips would look weird, I'm not sure if I want to have a setup like that. Having those two empty spots in the back just wouldn't look right to me. Does anyone have any pictures to post up of the rumbler x setup?
Ya it will look weird, especially on my Formula with the weird looking rear end to begin with. It would look better on your WS6 with the nicer Trans Am rear bumper. But, I think its worth it for the sound. Plus, if its THAT bad looking, I can alwasy have a shop build custom pipes from the dump right to the back and put tips on it.
It really depends on what type of sound you would rather have racecar or musclecar, thats about the best way I can think of describing the difference between the LM and the True Duals. Honestly, one of the other reasons I decided on True Duals is because I have heard ALOT of bad things about the LM when combined with ORY and LTs, people on here were directing me away from this setup. But then again, I have also heard a great deal of good things too. Now I am yet to hear ANY bad things about the TSP Rumbler X on here. I'm ordering my TSP Rumbler X and Pacesetter LTs right now off TSP. I'll post a sound clip when I get them and install them. Good luck Black2kWS6. Let me know what you decide on.

Black2kWS6- I am starting a new thread requesting pictures of the Rumbler X on Formulas and Trans Ams.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I just talked to a guy at work who races F-bodies a lot. He said that what they have found is that with a true dual set up you will actually lose power on the top end. That and there are some clearance issues with the exhaust hitting the axel, and the brake lines are there too. Said hes already seen it a couple times where people lose their rear brakes because of it. Sure as hell sounded like he knew what he was talking about. But I don't take too many top speed runs, and I'm willing to bet it would be like a catted y compared to non. I will have to check around and see how much it will cost me to have a rumbler x finished off to the rear.

When I told Josh, the guy at work, I was looking at the LM, he looked surprised. He asked if I was going to do the catted Y, and I said probably not because it's more expensive, plus I like it loud. He said it was deafening at 7K, but I never rev that high so... Hes like thats pretty much a race car exhaust with a resonator. I laughed and said yeah that's why I want it. I haven't heard too many bad things about the LM besides "it's really loud" "little raspy". I'd appreciate some clips when you get your setup done. I'm thinking about still going with the rumbler x, if I can get completed to the rear. Josh said he would probably go with the ORY and LM. I DON'T KNOW. Easiest solution = buy another car and have one of each....yeah, that's what I'll do.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

"little raspy".
FWIW, the LM is very raspy...with or without cats IMHO...There are much much better sounding exhausts that are loud..Magnaflow is one for example. Or just run an elec cutout and you can vary the volumn to be as loud as you want.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

OK guys, after listening to even more clips I think I've decided. The dynomouth sounds nice, but I still think the LM is the way to go. I listened to quite a few different set ups, with a couple being exactly the same setup I'm looking at. Pacesetters/ORY/LM is what it looks like.

Couple questions to wrap things up. All of these kits online are all just bolt ons correct? The guy that will be doing this asked because he is real busy and doesn't want it to take forever. He is a friend and does it for real cheap, so I understand. Also, roughly how much power can I expect from all three of these? How much if I decide I don't want to spend so much money and just do the plain LM? If I can get these answered, then I will be done and stay out of everyones hair....

Thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A catback on it's own isn't really going to produce much power, IMO ~5bhp. It should improve throttle response slightly, but the main restrictions in the exhaust are the cats and the headers.

The catback is easy to install (if you have a high lift or pit) else it may be a bit more awkward. Headers are quite a big job to do, not especially difficult just time consuming. There's plenty of write ups about them (also try the sticky 'Induction & Exhaust mods' in this forum it has a write up in there also).

The Y pipe should fit pretty easy although some people have issues with them banging on the floor boards (due mainly to engine torquing). I would recommend fitting poly motor and transmission mounts at the same time (saves taking stuff off to do it later). Thunder racing sell the mounts and they are pretty cheep. Mufflex also sell a bracket designed to stop the Y pipe banging (I'd probably get this as well).
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be raspy without cats for sure!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, you guys are awesome.