Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP LM + ?Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATED SLP LM + ?Headers

Well I have a few questions about an exhaust setup.

Firstoff, I've read quite a bit, and people are saying that the SLP LM is very loud, and I'm leaning towards that. That being said, I'm not sure on which headers. I would prefer something with an average price, and would like something that sounds nice. Any one that has the LM and any type of headers, your input is appreciated.

For the main question, when I get my exhaust work done, if I have the catalytic converter removed, will that cause some codes to be thrown? Need to mod any sensors/reprogram something/tuning. I haven't found that answer anywhere, and was curious.

Thanks for all your help guys.

UPDATE

OK guys, after listening to even more clips I think I've decided. The dynomouth sounds nice, but I still think the LM is the way to go. I listened to quite a few different set ups, with a couple being exactly the same setup I'm looking at. Pacesetters/ORY/LM is what it looks like.

Couple questions to wrap things up. All of these kits online are all just bolt ons correct? The guy that will be doing this asked because he is real busy and doesn't want it to take forever. He is a friend and does it for real cheap, so I understand. Also, roughly how much power can I expect from all three of these? How much if I decide I don't want to spend so much money and just do the plain LM? If I can get these answered, then I will be done and stay out of everyones hair....

Thanks

Last edited by Black2kWS6; 04-04-2006 at 09:25 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the LM and all I can say is I love it

The fit and finish is A1, it was quick and easy to install and looks pretty good (even the tips don't look half bad). And I really like the sound it makes. It's a real "muscle car sound".

However I would say it is LOUD and could well be considered anti-social. Also at ~2000rpm it does resonate a bit in the cabin so if it's a daily driver you have been warned. However it actually isn't that bad overall, 60mph is easy to hold a conversation or listen to music. At WOT it sounds awesome. Outside is even better and you really can hear it a mile or two away.

It's very deep has NO RASP and sounds very old school with a good rumble at idle.

If you add LT's and an ORY expect it to become far too loud for most people and it will probably go raspy also. My advice is get some LT's and a catted Y pipe. A good set of cats won't really affect HP by any noticable amount and it will have the added benefit of keeping your car legal as well as sounding better.

Check out Texas Speed & Performance ---> (a sponsor) they have some great deals on coated Pacesetter LT's and their own catted Y pipe.

If you are really set on getting an ORY then you can replace the LM resonator with a bullet muffler (Borla XR1, Magnaflow, Dynomax, etc.). This will not make it any quieter but it will alter the sound and hopefully eliminate any potential rasp due to having an ORY. The down sides are it will likely cost almost the same as a catted Y and probably won't make any more power on a bolt on/cammed LS1. Plus from what I've heard/listened too (internet mainly) the bullet mufflers don't sound as good as the LM does with cats.

Final option is of course a different catback, there's lots to choose from. But if I was doing it all over again I'd still choose a Loud Mouth.

These are all my opinion and everyone needs to make their own mind up on what they want.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have pacesetter Lts with ory and the loudmouth. The pacesetters and the catback are absolutly top notch and were installed very easily. The loudmouth is very loud and sounds great with stock manifolds but after headers and ORY its freakin insane loud. I love it though and I use it as my DD, weather permitting. It literally scares people and animals when I flash my converted driving around and sounds like a pure race car at WOT. Probably not the best for the neighbors but I love it.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to say that if you plan on LT's and a LM catback, you will most likely want cats. Most people will tell you that it's too loud for a daily driver and it sounds unrefined.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

here is a sound clip with Jet hot LTs and ORY to the LM in car with windows up:

http://media.putfile.com/A-little-exhaust-sound
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
I have pacesetter Lts with ory and the loudmouth. The pacesetters and the catback are absolutly top notch and were installed very easily. The loudmouth is very loud and sounds great with stock manifolds but after headers and ORY its freakin insane loud. I love it though and I use it as my DD, weather permitting. It literally scares people and animals when I flash my converted driving around and sounds like a pure race car at WOT. Probably not the best for the neighbors but I love it.
So 300bhp says go for the LTs with a catted Y. You just have the LTs with ORY and the LM? (im assuming no cat, not real sure on the abbreviations yet) I'm only 20, so loud is what I'm all about. It is about 50% DD, I usually take the Corsica to work to keep my miles low. Sounding like a pure race car sounds good to me. You don't have the rasp like 300bhp claims they may have with headers? I've listened to quite a few clips, but it's not even close to the same on the internet compared to in person.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and another thing. If I went the no cat route, will that cause the engine to throw codes? Something about O2 sensors maybe?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I have no cats ORY (off-road y-pipe) and its very liud and I'm 19 so I can take it lol. If you get rid of the cats you will either need to by rear O2 sims or get the rear O2s deleted from your PCM. I got rid of all my EGR and AIR emissions when I did the install as well as the rear O2s. I don't know what is meant by rasp but it does drone at certain rpms but nothing unbearable to me. I will try to get a video clip up but they all sound different in person.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

All right, thanks. I'm looking at the Texas Speed site now. There is SPL LM exhaust system, SLP LM F-Car Exhaust, SLP LM II F-Car exhaust. What is the difference if any. The only thing I can tell is that they have different tips, either dual dual, or slash. Any thing I need to be aware of? Also, I was looking at the LT with catted Y combo compared to the LT ORY combo...and the no cat option is $200 less, and I guess louder from what all of you say. Makes me want to head that direction....unless 300bhp can define the rasp more.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I have the loudmouth 1 (resonator instead of LM's turbo muffler), ORY pipe, and jet hot coated flow tech headers.

The rasp is pretty annoying and it sounds bad at times. (But hella loud!) Drone is somewhat annoying at highway seeds. If attention if what you want, this catback is for you.

BUT, I think a catted y is the way to go. It'll sound less raspy, (meaning BETTER), won't make your girlfriend smell like sulfur (is that a pro or con?), and keeps the air a bit cleaner for the tree hugging hippies. Oh, and you might not get in trouble with the law as much.

I'll be adding a borla or dynomax very soon to my setup. Wish I had catted y-pipe. 3hp isn't worth it.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Pacesetter long tubes, ORY, and the LM. Sounds GREAT. Everyone compliments me on it all the time. It is a bit loud for my neighbors- I try to idle in and out when possible.

No cats- yes, the rear O2's will sense that and throw a code. Its a meaningless code that has no impact on the engine at all. You can either get a tune and have it cleared or buy O2 sims to get rid of the code.

You will also throw a code if you remove the AIR system (the kind of headers that have no extra flanges). Tune can remove this as well (the only way).

Great combo, IMHO. With an LS6 intake, lid, headers/ORY/lm only, I put down 330rwhp. Lots of power for the street.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

So it sounds a little raspy, but for an extra 200 dollars, it may be worth it. Some people are saying it sounds awesome, others are slightly annoyed by it. Not sure if I want to drop an extra 200 on a catted Y. Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap one? I only saw the two combos on the Texas Speed site, and the headers with catted Y are 700 and the headers with ORY is only 500...
Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LM and pacesetters here the only thing i would change it for is true duals.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

I have a loudmouth catback and I just installed pacesetters and an offroad y pipe....i knew it was going to be loud as hell but it didnt sound nearly as bad as i thought it would. It is LOUD as hell but everyone that has heard it loves the way it sounds, I actually bought a miroso spiraltech to put in place of the resonator but now I am not sure if I want to put it in, lol. The only thing that bugs me is how loud it is inside the car :o
Old 04-03-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

If possible, see if anyone on here lives nearby and hear it for yourself. Where are you located?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

look at it this way....for a catted y pipe you will spend an extra 200 bucks. If you go offroad and its too loud, 50 bucks will get you a muffler.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have cats and it's still raspy, with the dynomax bullet in place of the resonater, scares the hell out of people though !
Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love it as well. I have LM, LT's, No cats and all the other bolt ons and I LOVE IT!! Some say its too loud but I dont think I would want another exhaust setup. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, for all your input. I'm located in Central Minnesota. Right between St. Cloud and Minneapolis in Monticello. I'm leaning towards the Pacesetter LTs with the ORY and LM. I like loud, and I don't mind cranking up the tunes to over power the exhuast if needed. I mainly drive around in town, so the RPMs will be low, until I get to the outer edges of town, where I will let her rip. Like stated before, 50 bucks will get me a muffler if I just can't take the noise, which I doubt will be the case. Now I just have to wait to see how much money I get back in taxes, and go from there.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

I've got Pacesetters, ORY, and LM and I love it. It does get annoying while cruising at 55-70ish, but the beautiful sound at WOT more than makes up for the drone. Not sure if I missed it, but what type of tranny do you have? Mines an A4, but if you have an M6 you would at least get to chose the gear you're in to make it a little more friendly around town.