Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which 02s, and egr plug

Old 04-06-2006, 05:25 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which 02s, and egr plug

well guys i broke down and finally have exhaust coming, i have some race style jet hots, so i will be removing the egr and air, so my questions are...

what do i put in the intake where the egr goes, and where do i get it from?

i heard people say get the rear 02 sensors from a vette (cant remember the part number) instead of getting extensions because they are better (but why are they better than extensions) so which one should i do?

should i get the manifold gaskets from the dealer or are they cheaper somewhere else?

i searched and really didnt come up with anything, so help would be great because i want to do this right the first time.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with ORY so no rear O2's and put sims until I got up to my tuner and had them deleted. I also reused my factory gaskets with no leaks at all. As far as buying new ones, the local auto parts stores dont carry the metal ones so yeah, id go to GM for it. Good luck with the install. The only prob I ran into was a broken plug wire. That being my fault. Got a little too punchy and broke one. But hey, got some new ones next day and was on my way.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the EGR use a 1 3/8 freeze plug (you can usually get those at your local parts store)
Vette rears are bosch p/n 13111, the choice to use those or the extensions is yours, if you can wire and are comfortable doing it you can make your own, if you aren't then either buy the premade extensions, or use the vette sensors (the vette sensors have a better heater than the stock f body o2s,, and can help with the insufficient switching codes)
As for the gaskets use the stock GM ones get them from either the local dealer, or SDPC, and todd the ones that come with the headers in the trash
FYI you might want to grab a set of spark plugs (NGK TR55s are popular here) it's very easy to damage one while installing or removing the headers/manifolds and nit notice until you start the car and it runs like ***
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya i already got new plugs and wires (TR55 and MSD) sitting on the floor in my bedroom, im just waiting for the exhaust, i guess ill just get the vette o2s and i might be buying a tuner so ill just tune out the rear o2s (when i learn how) along with the egr and air codes.

thanks for the help, i just wanted to get everything straight before i started so i wouldnt be stuck in the middle of the project.

How much are gaskets from the dealer? and while im at it should i replace the header bolts because mine are corroded and look poopy, and if i do, what should i get.

thanks again
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

IIRC the gaskets are ~$20
If you want to replace the bolts, you can get fancy, and get the stage 8 locking bolts, or the ARP header studs, or you can use the bolts that come with the headers (I assume jet hots come with bolts), or clean up the stock ones and reuse
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

im not sure if they come with them, but i might get some so i dont have the brown stockers in there, and the gaskets arent expensive so thats good.

i heard the vette o2s are like 70 bucks a piece but oh well, i want to do thisright the 1st time.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 PM
That's what she said...

You can pick up a set of new OEM bolts, which are perfectly fine.

You will have to buy either LS1edit or HP Tuners if you plan on getting rid of the rear O2 codes, a Hypertech or Diablo will not do it. I had MTI do all my emmissions codes for 75$.

The 'vette rear O2 sensor trick is something i wish i knew about when i bought my extensions.

And, just for emphasis, do NOT use anything besides OEM gaskets for the header flanges.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, i plan on using hp tuners, me and my buddy are going in on it so we can tune our cars.

looks like ill be going to the dealer tomorrow and murrays (at least my friend can get me a discount there)

but wont the oem bolts corrode like the ones in there again fairly quickly?

i think ill get some arp or some fancy dany locking ones

Search this Thread