Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Header? Kooks or QTP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Header? Kooks or QTP?

I am doing my engine build up and i was wondering which header would be better for the turbo setup. I am basically going through Cartek and they just put Kooks as the header with a y pipe with cats. I guess i am going to go stainless steel and i know both are. I checked around and both go for about $800.00 plus or minus minus the y pipe. I was just wondering if one had better ground clearance or if one worked better with the sts turbo. And most importantly, does any one know where to find either for a good price?
thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Anyone can chime in. lol.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

I don't have an f-body... but I love my Kooks!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, what a perfect topic to start a war over.

I've owned two '02 WS6 M6 Trans Ams. I installed Kooks in both cars. The power gains were definitely noticeable. I also think stainless headers (not just Kooks) are superior to coated headers. I've seen (I WILL NOT mention brands) supposedly the-best-you-can-get coated headers look like absolute garbage after only a few years.

Kooks, QTP, Stainless Works, and, I believe Hooker (some models, just lately...I could be wrong) all make stainless headers. I would bet they are all equally hi-quality components. Edelbrock's Ti-Tech coated long-tubes are still relatively new. Out of all the materials available for coating, I'd have to say titanium would be pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to see how they do in the durability department.

The worse thing that will happen to a stainless header, is heat discoloration. I cannot speak for any other brand of header, but Kooks. They are the only brand I have had real-world experience with. They have thick, flat, straight flanges, outstanding weld quality, and tuck up tighter to the engine/tranny than any other brand I've seen from underneath, with the car up on a lift. I also lost 0 ground clearance.

The ONLY thing I do not like about Kooks, are the cheesy exhaust manifold gaskets they supply with their heades. I used GM OEM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets on both installs I did, and they work great.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Lol this topic will cause a battle i got QTP they were cheeeper and they had just come out with there new merge collector so that made me get them even more very happy with them
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 AM
12 Second Club

I liked qtp only thing is i ordered them about 4 weeks ago still have not arrived. lil mad have everything else just waiting on these headers and ory.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would probably just write both on a piece of paper and just throw it in the air and which ever one is further away....purchase that one.

the only reason that I say that is because they are equally great in my book.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I would probably just write both on a piece of paper and just throw it in the air and which ever one is further away....purchase that one.

the only reason that I say that is because they are equally great in my book.
The further away one? Is that how you are suposed to do it? Damn! I picked the close one and it said QTP

~Alex
Old 04-12-2006, 05:01 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

depends on how you fold the paper...
Old 04-12-2006, 05:15 AM
TECH Regular

Phew, I went with the triangle fold instead of the square so I think I am ok

But back to the question at hand I have heard to just get the ones that you can find the best deal on. Also some food for thought, check this post https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/487345-got-my-kooks-now-i-want-polish-what-do-i-use.html metal shavings and things being left in the collector... kind of makes you wonder. Sorry if that doesn't really healp but it is really late/early and I need sleep.

Alex
Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Triangle was your best choice.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

"......metal shavings and things being left in the collector"

VERY, VERY true. That was one thing that disappointed me about the Kooks. They were FILTHY inside. I filled 'em with hot, soapy water, and shook 'em around....a lot. I got a rag down as far as I could into each collector, and the merge, and blew 'em out with my compressor. As far in as I could see, they cleaned up pretty nice.

I did not do this when I installed my 1st set, and they stunk like hell for a week or so until all the crap burned out of 'em. Then I replaced a front 02 sensor a week later...I don't think it was a coincidence.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
"......metal shavings and things being left in the collector"

VERY, VERY true. That was one thing that disappointed me about the Kooks. They were FILTHY inside. I filled 'em with hot, soapy water, and shook 'em around....a lot. I got a rag down as far as I could into each collector, and the merge, and blew 'em out with my compressor. As far in as I could see, they cleaned up pretty nice.

I did not do this when I installed my 1st set, and they stunk like hell for a week or so until all the crap burned out of 'em. Then I replaced a front 02 sensor a week later...I don't think it was a coincidence.
That would be enough work for me to get the QTP's...
Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

QTP, just because they come polished now hehe.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Check these puppies out.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

those look QTP-a-licious!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing to keep in mind, which I think is worth it, is the wait for QTP. They are made on a group order type basis. So depending on when you order you could have quite the wait.

~Alex
Old 04-13-2006, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

quite the wait indeed.... quite the wait indeed. I ordered mine early february and they still arent here, just to give you an idea of how long the wait is... They are supposedly coming in this friday but who knows...
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
Man, what a perfect topic to start a war over.

I've owned two '02 WS6 M6 Trans Ams. I installed Kooks in both cars. The power gains were definitely noticeable. I also think stainless headers (not just Kooks) are superior to coated headers. I've seen (I WILL NOT mention brands) supposedly the-best-you-can-get coated headers look like absolute garbage after only a few years.

Kooks, QTP, Stainless Works, and, I believe Hooker (some models, just lately...I could be wrong) all make stainless headers. I would bet they are all equally hi-quality components. Edelbrock's Ti-Tech coated long-tubes are still relatively new. Out of all the materials available for coating, I'd have to say titanium would be pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to see how they do in the durability department.

The worse thing that will happen to a stainless header, is heat discoloration. I cannot speak for any other brand of header, but Kooks. They are the only brand I have had real-world experience with. They have thick, flat, straight flanges, outstanding weld quality, and tuck up tighter to the engine/tranny than any other brand I've seen from underneath, with the car up on a lift. I also lost 0 ground clearance.

The ONLY thing I do not like about Kooks, are the cheesy exhaust manifold gaskets they supply with their heades. I used GM OEM MLS exhaust manifold gaskets on both installs I did, and they work great.
Thats exactly my opinion on the Kooks stainless headers. Zero ground clearence issues is always nice, but I do have a complaint about them. The damn Y pipe hits the floor and sets the knock sensor off. It pulls up to 12 degrees of timing when it hits. It's being fixed now, but its enough to drive a guy nuts. The headers fit perfect and tuck up real close to the body, but the Y pipe is a piece of junk. Kinda makes me wish I had gone with true dual exhaust.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Finally ups tracking says my qtp should be here today,