Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my KOOKS!! Now I want to polish, what do I use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Got my KOOKS!! Now I want to polish, what do I use?

Just got my Kooks today. Awesome looking headers. Waiting for the stainless steel catted Y pipe to arrive. I want to polish these thing up though before the install. What would be the best polish to use? Something like Mothers rim/mag polish or similar? And it looks like there is still some shavings in there also. Just blow them out with some air or rinse with water?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they look sweet!!! as for polishing i dont know man, i got my QTP's and they where polished already.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:46 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got one helluva job ahead of you if you plan on polishing those. I'm pretty sure the QTP's are polished before the tubing is bent if you're thinking about getting them to bling that much.

I'd also try my *** off to get all that **** out of there. Don't want it getting stuck in the cats. You could try to blow it out, or take it to the carwash and use the vacuum cleaners.

You could take some old socks/t-shirts, tear them up, put them on the end of a coat hanger and pull them through the tubes. My friend's Kooks headers came with a freaking sanding flap wheel from a die grinder stuck in the collector!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

My friend's Kooks headers came with a freaking sanding flap wheel from a die grinder stuck in the collector!
thats gay
Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toofless916
thats gay
Old 04-12-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wet sanded mine with micromesh and then polished. It takes a while but they look real nice.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Taken from a post of mine a while back.
I had a bunch of junk in my QTP's when I got them too.
To polish them I wiped them down with some WD-40 to clean em up a bit, then ran a coat of Never Dull over em.
Some guys do several coats of Never Dull but in the end its in your engine bay and you won't see it.

Just remember to put gloves on before you put them up and on so you don't finger print them up when you install em.
Originally Posted by Me
Ahhh, the pipe cleaning.
I was going to include that in the writeup but I didn't know if anyone actually did that.
I would have thought the more mechanically inclined types would have access to an air hoze or something to blow it out.
Alas I did not, so heres what I did.

I took some thicker gauge speaker wire and made two lenghths, maybe about 3' a piece.
I tied each length to an old sock and made sure there was enough sock tied to not rip when i pulled on either end. So... it looked like this
loop---------- wire ----------sock---------- wire---------- loop
From there, I pushed the loop end of one wire through the flanges and out the collector, the other end with a loop was hanging out the flange end.
Once I could get ahold of the loop inside the collector, I just pulled the sock through. I did that several times with each primary tube.
And most times pulled back and forth while the sock was in the primary to sort of scrub the inside a bit.
Be careful here, there's a reason I tied it on both ends, you do NOT want to get that sock stuck in the middle of your primary. I imagine you would have a hard time getting it out if the wire ripped out of the sock or whatever, hence the tie on both ends.
Then for the collectors, I just used various longer type accesories to get the gunk out of there and called er done.
DJ
Old 04-12-2006, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

I use "Blue Magic", I think is the name of it. $5 in Autozone, it will make just about any metal shine with enough scrubbing.