Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaner throttle body overrated

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Shaner throttle body overrated

I didn't dyno before and after, but my T/A put 338 rwhp / 352 rwtq with the following:
K&N FIPK2
Shaner S2 ported throttle body
Hooker catback
ASP 25% underdrive crank pulley
Plastic ported MAF ends
MAF translator tuned with AutoTap by Mark Shaner

I was pleased.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just run up a few miles on the car and go back to the Dyno and make another pull. You`ll see better gains I`m near sure of it.Dyno-sheets dont mean jack diddly at the track either.If you dont see at least 7-8 rwhp on a higher milage pull then put it back in a box headed for Texas. Theres plenty of us running S2`s thats gotten *double* rwhp after the unit was *properly* run in.
Make sure you take a stock TB with you and put it on after you do acouple pulls and see the difference. Please post the corrected data which I`m sure will be much different.
Also ........ how many miles are on the plugs your running ??

SS/LS
Old 09-23-2002, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the Shaner TB is no better than many other TB's available on the board. I picked up .15 and almost 2 mph with another ported TB and he powdercoated and epoxied it for less than Shaner wanted for a plain one.

Mark's customer service was terrible long before he ever had these "problems". I had a deal to do several with him and after he screwed me around for 3-4 months promising weekly to do it I finally told him to go jump in a lake. Many others have had the same experience.

If you deal with Shaner you better expect long delays and no return e-mails except once every 2-3 weeks. If you are willing to get jerked around for several months waiting for a ported TB then take a number and get in line. I chose, however, to do business with someone who gives a crap about the customer.

Caveat Emptor...
Old 09-23-2002, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

SS/LS: So let me see if I understand this...the PCM needs time to learn the S2, but not time to re-learn the OEM TB? I don't follow that logic. I've got almost 3000 miles on my current set of TR55's.I can probably dyno again this week over my lunch break, but the car won't have as long to cool as it did the last time.

OBSSSD: I didn't have any problems getting the ported TB from him. He had some extra truck TB's, and I received it 3 business days after I ordered it. Whose TB did you buy? You can e-mail me privately if you prefer. Did you give the PCM time to learn, et al?

I sent Mark two large Autotap logs this evening for his evaluation. I'll have more money in the dyno-time than the cost of the TB itself by the time we're done with this tomfoolery. The logs are showing LTFT's in the negative single-digits, unloaded warm IAC's in low teens/upper single digits, average warm idle is +50RPM than Desired RPM.

There's another local guy who received a ported stock unit from Mark, and he wasn't given any of these PCM learn/MAFT tweak instructions either. In fact, he told Mark that he would be dynoing on Saturday, and Mark had it to him the day before, and didn't give him any information regarding this learning stuff.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much tech content lef tin here... moving to the Lounge.

Quick Reply: Shaner throttle body overrated