Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **

Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Monzsta
I just put in ebay long tubes to replace my crushed and flattened SLP headers, and installed poly mounts at the same time. Also did an impromptu a/c delete, until I can get enough parts to make the a/c work again. I like the ebay headers. Tons of ground clearance. A little light (thin metal) but for a replacement set a good bottoming or a manhole cover might trash again, I'll take it.

Oh, btw, I have a lift, air tools, pole jack, the works and it still sucks major *** to put in. I could have had the engine out and back in with less time. Gah.

I'll have it finished up sometime tomorrow and give it a good romp and report back.
Not tryin to hijack this thread, but what ebay headers did you get? Lookin to score some and do mounts at the same time.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Not tryin to hijack this thread, but what ebay headers did you get? Lookin to score some and do mounts at the same time.
PM sent.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I wouldn’t have been able to get this done without it.

I tried to do one mount at a time and also leave the driver side header bolted to the car. I could NOT get the job done with that method! I ended up taking each mount off the car and installing the new ones. (Passenger side first) I was able to pry the motor under the car with a heavy duty flat head screw driver. I put it in between the motor and one of the bolts on the clam shell. All and all it took me about 20 hours.

I plan on painting the old mounts gold and making it into a trophy lol
Old 02-02-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is doing this possible on a 4 post lift using a tray jack?
Old 05-23-2021, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With my exhaust already removed for LT install, I replaced the motor mounts in about 8 hours. One person, one jack, no pry bars. I did drop the starter, but did not have to touch the alternator or A/C compressor. I spent too much time battling a couple of bolts unnecessarily, so knowing what I know now I could probably knock off 2 hours of time.

I loosened all the pedestal bolts on both sides. I jacked up the motor ever so slightly. I unbolted one of the motor mounts and its pedestal, and removed the whole assembly. I did passenger side first, but I don't think the order matters. Swap in the poly, reassemble it and reinstall. I kept the pedestal bolts loose so I could repeat the process on the driver's side.

None of my issues were with bolt alignment. 18mm bolt installed on the workbench so that was a breeze. Pedestal bolts lined up easy. Motor mount bolts lined up with very minimal effort. My issues were a gummed up thread and a washer too big to pass the poly mount.

Thanks,
Scott
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-23-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **