Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a giant PITA broken bolt, we got the motor mounts back on the car. Now we just have to reinstall everything back to its original position and finish the exhaust. Whew! Quick Tip: I found an alternative to shaving down the long motor mount bolt tips. We got the passenger side bolt in place and then loosened the drivers motor mount pedistal bolts to give it some play. It worked great! Had it in there and hammered home in like 5 min.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just defeated this task! It took a while, and was not fun at all, but it's done and i feel like i accomplished something. This write up and everyone's comments helped out a ton in figuring out how to do this. For my .02, i took pictures of the rubber mount in the clamshell, and then the poly in the clamshell so everyone can see how much better they are.
Name:  SANY0037.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  65.4 KB
Name:  SANY0044.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  70.0 KB
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ttt...
Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

**** i just dropped my engine when i did this bullshit.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mr.mustang214
I just defeated this task! It took a while, and was not fun at all, but it's done and i feel like i accomplished something. This write up and everyone's comments helped out a ton in figuring out how to do this. For my .02, i took pictures of the rubber mount in the clamshell, and then the poly in the clamshell so everyone can see how much better they are.

Paint them motor mounts... they looking pretty rusty there bud...!!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

When you have the new poly mount in the clamshell does it have about a 1/8 in. of gap or does you're guys sit flush.??
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

how much easier are the solid mounts?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Staging Lane

holy crap, im going to be doing a header install and motor mounts at the same time. Now im really not looking forward to this, seems like a hell of a job. Although i do have my dad to help me, who is very mechanically inclined.

Anyone want to buy a set of New in the box prothane motor mounts?? Im SERIOUSLY thinking about just doing solids instead.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WickedSuperSport
holy crap, im going to be doing a header install and motor mounts at the same time. Now im really not looking forward to this, seems like a hell of a job. Although i do have my dad to help me, who is very mechanically inclined.

Anyone want to buy a set of New in the box prothane motor mounts?? Im SERIOUSLY thinking about just doing solids instead.
Don't feel bad - I'm in the same boat. I'm seriously wondering if it'd just be easier to live with the vibes of a solid mount...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

wow i just read through this whole thread. i just got my bmr k member with mounts. so does this mean i mount the clamshell with the poly m/m to the bmr k member forks??

what is this im reading about shaving the tips of the long bolts that go through the mounts? how much of a needle nose to you guys give it?

i guess this will be a bit easier while installing headers. damn i kinda wanna put a cam in while the motor is practically out. how hard would it be to but an off the shelf thunder cam in?

im purchasing my poly mounts as we speak. i guess i should stock up on some beer for this upcoming BS
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
Don't feel bad - I'm in the same boat. I'm seriously wondering if it'd just be easier to live with the vibes of a solid mount...
come on guys, dont let this beat you, its not that bad. your going to have to go through a lot of the same hassle if you do solids.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
come on guys, dont let this beat you, its not that bad. your going to have to go through a lot of the same hassle if you do solids.
Not shaving down bolts to try and get it in! :p I don't have any of the right tools to even try that. And that way you don't have to mess with the rivets, as I honestly don't know if my drill will work on them :p
Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

I'm having some trouble with the passenger side motor mount.. I already have the driver side in it's bolted in and everything... I have the passenger mount bolted to the block already just can't get it to line up so I can install the long bolt. Even with the use of my pry bars..!! LOL... does anyone have any tips installing this side easier?? All help appereciated..!!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WARP211
I'm having some trouble with the passenger side motor mount.. I already have the driver side in it's bolted in and everything... I have the passenger mount bolted to the block already just can't get it to line up so I can install the long bolt. Even with the use of my pry bars..!! LOL... does anyone have any tips installing this side easier?? All help appereciated..!!
When I've installed poly's, I would install the long bolt thru the passenger side first, then with the driver side motor mount pedestal to K-member bolts loose, work on getting the driver side long bolt thru. Having the pedestal loose allows a little more movement for you to play with, hopefully helping you line up the clamshell and the pedestal.

I also installed the driver side long bolt backwards. Inserting it from the rear of the engine compartment and having the nut on the front. This way you have next to nothing in the way so you can use a hammer to pound that sucker home. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

I'll try that out.. I heard about the pedstal being loose to give you some more play to line everything up..!! well gonna attack it tonight.. and see what happens.!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

update guys... yep mumbles right on for the tip... just loosen them bolts to the pedstal gave me enough clearence i needed for it to line up then a couple taps of the hamer.. went in like a charm... I was able to put it back the bolt without having to shave it down to a point...
Old 07-24-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WARP211
update guys... yep mumbles right on for the tip... just loosen them bolts to the pedstal gave me enough clearence i needed for it to line up then a couple taps of the hamer.. went in like a charm... I was able to put it back the bolt without having to shave it down to a point...
Sweet, man! Glad that worked. And happy to help.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Staging Lane

Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Default Motor Mount

Does anyone know the torque specs on the motor mounts?
Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flatbird
Does anyone know the torque specs on the motor mounts?
mount to block 37 lb ft
through bolt 70 lb ft
pedastal bolts 43lb ft

If you just loosen the through bolt and take out the mount to block and pedastal to k-member bolts it comes out as one piece. That way you don't have to do anything with the a/c compressor or alternator.

Quick Reply: ** The best poly motor mount write up ever written **