Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install List

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install List

Sorry for beating a dead horse but I just want to make sure that I've got all the stuff I will need..... I'm installin pacesetter lt's and the tsp catted y-pipe....

1) Headers and Y-pipe
2) Poly motor mounts
3) Bosch 13111's
4) Rear O2 Simms (not gettin a tune in the near future)
5) NGK TR55 Plugs
6) Anti-Sieze
7) Band Clamps (Do I only need three; both collectors and the I pipe?)\
8) Stage 8 Header Bolts
9) GM Steel Gaskets

Please add anything that I need or would help out with the install, performance of car while the manifolds are off. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaNHRA
Sorry for beating a dead horse but I just want to make sure that I've got all the stuff I will need..... I'm installin pacesetter lt's and the tsp catted y-pipe....

1) Headers and Y-pipe
2) Poly motor mounts
3) Bosch 13111's
4) Rear O2 Simms (not gettin a tune in the near future)
5) NGK TR55 Plugs
6) Anti-Sieze
7) Band Clamps (Do I only need three; both collectors and the I pipe?)\
8) Stage 8 Header Bolts
9) GM Steel Gaskets

Please add anything that I need or would help out with the install, performance of car while the manifolds are off. Thanks.

you might need more band clamps depending on how many pieces your y pipe comes in. My ORY came in 2 pieces but my buddies TSP Catted y came in like 4 or 5 he said
Old 04-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

alright, i'll have to check into that. Also wondered what clamps are the best to get, any real difference in brands? And does anyone have a link to an install of poly motor mounts (with pics if possible), I read a couple threads and some say it's easy while others claim its a PITA.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

You really only need regular exhaust clamps for the y-pipe. TSP sent all the clamps i needed with mine. I tack welded all of my connections also though, i had the y pipe pull out of the header one night coming out of a parking lot when it dragged.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just posted a very detailed write up for poly motor mounts. No pics but its detailed enough that you should be able to figure it out without pics.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/492703-best-poly-motor-mount-write-up-ever-written.html
Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dielectric grease, makes it alot easier to get the wires back on the plugs and coils
Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
you might need more band clamps depending on how many pieces your y pipe comes in. My ORY came in 2 pieces but my buddies TSP Catted y came in like 4 or 5 he said
His catted Y came in 4 or 5 pieces? wow, mine was one piece.... not TSP though.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry dont want to steal ur thread buddy(lazy to make a new one), but My buddy will be doing headers on my car next week, and i was wondering do you really need new header bolts? and u can reuse the stock gaskets huh?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BuBbABFP
Sorry dont want to steal ur thread buddy(lazy to make a new one), but My buddy will be doing headers on my car next week, and i was wondering do you really need new header bolts? and u can reuse the stock gaskets huh?

i used the bolts that came with my pacesetters, they looked WAY better than those stockers....also...the gaskets are good unless you have a shitpot full of miles on em...then just change em...i had 18kmiles on my ride when i installed headers, no probs
LOVE EM!!
peace
Old 04-21-2006, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

I just got done installing a set of the headers from ebay that has everyone talking and they really weren't to bad. I bought new gaskets reused stock bolts
new plugs NGKTR55 new MSD 8.5 wires and new O2's for piece of mind knowing I shouldn't have to do that job again any time soon. I also noticed that the SX headers air and egr tubes are not going to fit a 2000 car as the tubes are bent for the 98-99 emissions. So with that in hand I cut the tubes off (they could be capped) welded the holes shut and removed all of the emissions stuff (EGR AIR PUMP) and since the egr is not going back on I have to do something with the big a$$ hole in the intake. I would also get 24" O2 extensions and wrap the extra wire up and zip tye it to something as it looks like the 12" ones are just a little to short.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

so the bolts that will come with the pacesetters will be fine to use, nobody's had any problems with em?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

I heard that the headers and y will come with C clamps but they crunch the pipe. Is there also leaking when using the C clamps? If not can I just use the clamps that come with it?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bolts thet come with the pacesetters will be fine (they are a standard size 7/16ths IIRC) as for the clamps, they do come with the c clamps, and they can crimp the pipe if you tighten the crap out of them, but so far mine aren't crimped, and haven't leaked, if you can't find the band clamps they'll work fine (just don't go too crazy tightening them up