Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting GMMG.....Which Catted-Y??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting GMMG.....Which Catted-Y??

I am some what confused right now. I have a brand new set of Kooks LT Headers and a Kooks ORY. I am planning on buying GMMG Exhaust really soon. After hearing lots of people saying that GMMG sounds crapy with an ORY, I am leaning torwards selling it and getting a Catted-Y. Everyone talks about how GMMG sounds awsome with LT's and a Catted-Y. After listening to some clips, I still can't really tell the difference, just that with Catted-Y, it will get rid of rasp and sound deeper. What do you guys think? Keep ORY? Get Catted-Y? Also which Catted-Y would you prefer? Thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

CATTED-Y! The GMMG sounds clean & deep this way (absolutely no rasp or popping). With the ORY though, it does get very raspy in the mid rpm range...

And personally, since you already have the Kooks LT's, why not just get their highflow catted Y? I have the GMMG, Kooks LT's, & Kooks highflow catted Y on my '02 Z28 and I LOVE that set-up...Deep and rumbly at idle/part-throttle, but just flat out ROARS at WOT (not a high pitched scream, but rather a deep roar).
Old 04-23-2006, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

tsp catted-y, if they fit your Kooks.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:06 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Kooks catted y. I installed this exact setup on a buddy's car (Kooks LT's, catted y, and GMMG), everything mated and fit perfectly.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I don't have cats and mine doesnt sound raspy at all. I get complements all the time from fellow f-body owners. But I also have the intermediate chambered pipe totalling 3 chambered sections. I highly recomend it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

So getting Kooks High-Flow Catted-Y would be my best option. Money isn't really an issue for this. I just don't want to istall the LT's, ORY, GMMG and have it sound like crap. So I should just sell my ORY and get thier catted Y? I think I am gonna do this.

------- Also, How is the sound inside the car? Windows up of course. With LT's, Catted-Y,GMMG?? Everyone I know is running LT's, ORY, and Borla/Corsa. Sounds like crap if you ask me, especially with cam. I want to get a real mean sound.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the off road Y pipe! You paid all this $$ for this stuff, you want it to turn heads right?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE PUNSSHR
So getting Kooks High-Flow Catted-Y would be my best option. Money isn't really an issue for this. I just don't want to istall the LT's, ORY, GMMG and have it sound like crap. So I should just sell my ORY and get thier catted Y? I think I am gonna do this.

------- Also, How is the sound inside the car? Windows up of course. With LT's, Catted-Y,GMMG?? Everyone I know is running LT's, ORY, and Borla/Corsa. Sounds like crap if you ask me, especially with cam. I want to get a real mean sound.
if your worried about the sound of an ory w/gmmg, yes look into the catted y, it will tame it down just a bit. also check in your local section on here and see if anyone is running that setup near you and maybe you can go for a ride in their car to see for yourself if it sounds bad or not.

as far as the noise level inside the car with the windows up, to me it's not to bad under normal accelaration, and at cruising speeds, but once you start getting on the gas or going wot, it will be loud but not unbearably loud inside the car. hope this helps alittle.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate it.