Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uncatted Car Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 AM
BP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
What if you just claim you bought the car as it is and didn't modify anything on it? "Your honor, I dont know a thing about cars. It passed the emision test, so I assumed it had cats"
You don't think a cop or judge can check when you registered the vehicle? If you really did just buy the car and it was from a licensed dealer then they can be fined $25k.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats why you just buy a the cheapest cats you can find and gut them and then replace the insides of the cats wilth a straight pipe and weld it up in there. It will completey appear as though they are the real thing, although there is just a pipe going through them.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
thats why you just buy a the cheapest cats you can find and gut them and then replace the insides of the cats wilth a straight pipe and weld it up in there. It will completey appear as though they are the real thing, although there is just a pipe going through them.
This is the idea I like best.

Or if you want to get away cheaper, you could go get four 3" to 4" couplers (the shorts ones) and slide those over the pipe, and weld them togather, than wrap some sheet metal around them and tack weld it on at the top. This will look like short bullet cats w/ a heatshield if you can do it convincingly enough.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i worry about the same thing, especially sense i have a cops wife down the street from my gf's house tryin to get me in trouble cause im so loud and "setting off car alarms in the middle of the night" even tho i havent driven by her in like 2 months. stupid bitch im gettin a custom Y made or the tspY
Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to try and weld my old stock cats on to my my ORY. i am going to cut the cats up and cut down the top and then get everything out form the inside. i just want to weld up the outside part of the cat so i looks like i have it on there. might as well try right? it might look good and convincing enough you know?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Does anyone know where you could get just the heat shield from a magnaflow cat? If you welded it over the piping in the ory no one would know the difference.
I was planning on going with the tsp td's but this thread scared me haha. So many members list headers/ory in their mod list. Is this really something to worry about?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowscott
Is this really something to worry about?
Ive been asked before, but never been checked. Ive got cat shells just incase, plus they helped eliminate my blatting/rasp.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I had a cop come to my house before because a neighbor was complaining that my exhaust was too loud. The cop asked me if I had cats and I said "no." He didn't care, but there is no emission testing here. The cop liked the way my car sounded then talked about his 700 hp drag truck for a while.

Another time when I got pulled over for speeding. I had my car idleing and a different cop just walked right up to my window and didn't ask about my exhaust at all.

I think it all depends on where you live. I'd never move to a state with strict emission testing.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

shouldnt you shut your car off when you get pulled over?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

i have always been asked to.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always do...
Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by s1ck s0n
shouldnt you shut your car off when you get pulled over?

Seems like a bright light just turned on
Old 05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whats wrong with hi-flow cats? They work fine on my car.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

its still some what of a restriction, not too bad though. they cost money too... lol
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much of a restriction with the dynatech hi flows but yes they cost about $170/peice. I'm running them on my Stainless Works Y and my numbers are pretty damn stout. I dont understand ory's on a street car. I dont like the sound but to each his own.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

I'll bring this thread back to life lol I was wondering the same thing and it wasn't answered about where to just get heat shells from the cats to just put over the exhaust pipe? Does this really look like you have cats on the car?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Well guys, I guess when they pass the law.. 50 state emission test then you will either have to put on cats each time you go or, just don't even get your car registered.. They are gonna do it here in the next few years.. I'd say around 2010 or 2012.. I live in KILLA KALI.. And I don't have any problem with the cat law.. Though I'm not the dumb *** without them either.. IF you are gonna go high performance in cali I suggest you put HI-flow cats.. Or anyother state that has emission testing.. Over here in Cali they started to train police on what to look for.. Like illegal part such as no cats or not C.A.R.B approved headers.. I think the reason they started this was to crack down on the illegal street races out here in cali.. To me I don't like the way the car sounds when you have ORY/with no cats.. It sounds all rasp and shittie..
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

no cats no mufs and never been bothered gotta love florida
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I had a cop get under my car when i was running my exhaust dumped at the rear axle with no mufflers or cats.

He came up to my window and said "I don't understand why yer' cars' so loud sir, you seem to be legal with your cats and mufflers.."

I was shocked to say the least. I drove off thinking "what a dumbass"
Only in Kingwood!
Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...

In twenty years of modding, I've never had an issue with not having cats, a front license plate, etc..from any cop. I also make it a point to not live in a state that is so tightly wound (left Commiefornia after 5 years), not to live anywhere there is emissions testing. I've been pulled over before, had the cop drool over the car, ask how fast it is, never had one get on his knees and try to look up and under the car where the cats should be. If it was to ever happen, I think I would just nicely ask if he's an ASE certified tech and hand it over to my attorney...

Quick Reply: Uncatted Car Ticket