Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car STINKS, bad cats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Car STINKS, bad cats?

Can high flow cats fail or start failing in such a way that the car still performs well but it stinks? Or when cats fail do they clog and cause the car to run like ****?

The reason I ask is because I feel like my car absolutely reaks of fuel smell, and it's not the catless smell that people get with offroad pipes...it's of raw fuel.

The car is cammed (0* overlap at 0.050) with Kooks longtube headers and their highflow cats and the exhaust is all the way to the end and 99% leakfree. Tune is spot on, idles at around 800 with AFRs in the high 14s measured by a dualwideband. I got the cam with no positive overlap for this reason specifically, but it still smells. The only thing I can think of is the cats may be past their useful life (they have about 40k miles and they were bought used) so they may not cleanup the smell as well.

So like I said in the first part, can a cat stop being efficient and make the car smell like fumes? I've had HF cats fail in the past, but when that happened they were melted and clogged and the car ran like **** due to that. But right now it runs perfectly fine otherwise.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

My onetime dealing with plugged cats I couldn't get rid of KR. Crowbarred out and knock solved.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had cats go bad on a Ford 5.0 once. Same deal, they plugged up and actually my manifolds were practically glowing. Knocked 'em out and all was well. Never noticed any stink associated with plugged cats.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd actually wonder if you have a PCV leak? That would/could give off fumes. Our PCV systems are apparently known for deteriorating badly.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd actually wonder if you have a PCV leak? That would/could give off fumes. Our PCV systems are apparently known for deteriorating badly.
I do have a catch can installed and I'm pretty sure it's done so correctly. Would that cause this issue?
Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

bad cats will have a sulfur smell(rotten egg) not raw fuel.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd actually wonder if you have a PCV leak?
Actually, now that I thought more of this...I did realize I have a PCV leak. Recently I installed a set of powdercoated valve covers to replace my crappy looking stock ones, and in the back where the PCV valve usually is on LS1s it's completely open (as in no valve or grommet/plug).

So it seems that might be it, I just didn't know that a simple PCV leak could actually lead to some smell.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
bad cats will have a sulfur smell(rotten egg) not raw fuel.
I did get that on a Corolla once, but I didn't think that counted on LS1Tech
Old 03-24-2016, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a similar problem with a thunderbolt cat i bought last year, car smells horrific now with no identifiable exhaust leaks. Only thing i can really identify is that the exhaust around the car is just badly odored.

Quick Reply: Car STINKS, bad cats?