Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna get a magnaflow cat-back Unless...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the Edelbrock system only a 2.75" system? Magnaflow seems to be a good deal for stainless.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badazta99
I don't know if anybody else has this problem but mine extremely loud out one side but the other side is real quite. I have LT's and an Off roas y-pipe. I dont know if soethings broke on the inside of the muffle or what, it sounds crazy though
That's because the passenger side flow is practically a straight through turn and really isn't muffled at all.

I thought it was weird at first but got used to it. Likely the reason it's one of the better flowing catbacks and screams at WOT but is quiet at idle.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

With the magnaflow system I would reccomend a custom y-pipe be made with a better merge and to have most of the system welded up. It made a huge difference in sound in mine. The rasp practically dissappeared after I did this.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Best For the Money,.....MagnaFlow Period.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Teching In

got magnaflo catback with pacesetter lg's and a ory and its perfect for me . It's loud but not too loud, also for the price its one of the best values for a catback , and if you do a search it is a very good flowing exhaust system. Now if you want the best flowing true duals all the way but i'll tell you one thing you may get tired of the loudness of it because my brother has true duals and it sets people' car alarms on a daily basis and we have a hard time listening to music anymore.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've owned 4 catbacks, SLP loudmouth, corsa, Hooker and finally the Magnaflow.
The Magnaflow by far is the best of them all as far as sound quality and flow. It is well balanced.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know how there could be any power loss but I have had mine on a stock exhaust setup for a few months now.

The quality of the system is fantastic. A stainless steel anything these days would usually be more expensive (I paid $350 shipped from dealer on E-bay). The sound is also great. For those who want a loud system this is not it, it grumbles and does scream at WOT. Needless to say, I get compliments about the sound just cruising around.

The finish is also great. I always try to keep everything polished and the system always looks great.

To address the flow issues. The drivers side is always louder than the passenger side tip because the DRIVER side is straight through. I can verify this because the pipe leading to the driver tailpipe from the muffler is the nice golden brown that comes with heated stainless steel, whereas the passenger side is still the polished silver color.

Overall, this is the best system for the money. The only other system I would compare it to is the GMMG, which is the only other stainless system that I can think of.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

EPP a sponsor on here is having a great deal on them. look in the sponsor section.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

I see it for $349 and got mine for just under. PM and I'll tell you where.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally best bang for the buck, and even regardless of its value, still one of the best out there.

Mine w/ h/c Pacesetter LT's and ORY sounds freakin awesome. It is vibrating a bit - had shop install it and they told me I will have to take out a bracket of some sort to prevent the sound.

I'd go for it. If cost wasn't an option I'd go GMMG, but, cost is an option, thus Magnaflow.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'm running a Magnaflow setup now and I love it. They are coming out with a dual/dual style tip as an option for the catback (pics in this thread) :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/453262-pics-custom-stainless-magnaflow-exhaust.html

Good luck,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Magnaflow is real nice but be ready for it to be VERY quiet. VERY quiet.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

wow this is back from the dead. i was gonna reply thinking it was a new thread untill i strarted reading through and noticed i already posted back in 2006 lol

the mag is quiet at idle but louder than stock. its nice and loud at wot and it sounded great with ory and longtubes om my old car
Old 02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

If you can get the dual dual tips then sure. It is tight.

Sounds awesome with long tubes.

I think Magnaflow is plenty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIGtbMMl9jg
Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
If you can get the dual dual tips then sure. It is tight.

Sounds awesome with long tubes.

I think Magnaflow is plenty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIGtbMMl9jg
sickk car
Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had all of these exhaust

stock with just a Corsa. Not loud enough
stock with just a Loudmouth 1. Loved it until.....
LT's ORY Loudmouth 1 <-freaking hideous! To each there own but if you think this setup sounds good your crazy!
LT's ORY Hooker Catback. Loved it! Not real quite at idle and screamed WOT
LT's x-pipe bullets dumped. Loved it but when you DD the car it gets old. Having a vert made it worse
Current LT's ORY Magnaflow. I love it. pretty tame at idle even with a cam and will turn heads WOT! It does have a slight rasp and I mean very slight!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I have them on my car and It is such a sleeper:> As long as I keep my cut out closed is sounds so quiet. At WOT it really sounds good! And you can actually talk to the person in the passenger seat:> If you want to!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
I've had all of these exhaust

stock with just a Corsa. Not loud enough
stock with just a Loudmouth 1. Loved it until.....
LT's ORY Loudmouth 1 <-freaking hideous! To each there own but if you think this setup sounds good your crazy!
LT's ORY Hooker Catback. Loved it! Not real quite at idle and screamed WOT
LT's x-pipe bullets dumped. Loved it but when you DD the car it gets old. Having a vert made it worse
Current LT's ORY Magnaflow. I love it. pretty tame at idle even with a cam and will turn heads WOT! It does have a slight rasp and I mean very slight!

that rasp was somewhat fixed by the old owner of my exhaust with a resonator in the i pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOIodr1V_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oRUYCPToOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZMx5_9_BI
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

magnaflow is a good quality catback. im running longtubes, ory and im also cammed and its still pretty quiet..LOL. i remember just adding the catback with no headers and it was like it was stock. I thought about maybe running LM1 again or possibly the GMMG. just want it to be a bit more louder.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyBz28
that rasp was somewhat fixed by the old owner of my exhaust with a resonator in the i pipe:
Cool! Mine is about to get a pair of cats because i'm tired of smelling like *** after riding in my car with the top down so i'm sure it will pretty much go away then.

Quick Reply: Gonna get a magnaflow cat-back Unless...